• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No need for long guns in Boston

Look at the average Boston police officer during the Boston marathon incident. Most just had their Glocks.. I heard they had to grab bean bag shotguns and load them with live ammo.

It was so bad that in some cases they were clearing houses with just handguns.

Am not saying one way or another, but let us remember, it has been quite a few years now, to many to remember, but I would guess 10 to 15 years, That some one had stolen or some how got there hands behind a engine running , greyhound bus , or the likes of. And was having a good old time running into cars and playing pinball wizard with said bus in Boston, right in the good old heart of Boston. Now I recollect the Number of rounds being fired at that bus, and recall seeing video footage of said drama. The number of rounds going off was in the hundreds, semi auto fire 9 mm pistols, and you could guess, that all these rounds were not hitting the bus. I also remember that no by stander was hit ( I may be wrong on that one), but you could guarantee, that buildings were being hit. So This was go time , and let the lead fly. My question here is, what has changed in these human police man/men to prevent this from happening in a similar circumstance. And the decision here would be , is it a better or worse thing to have semi auto rifles going at it "go time" in a similar manner. Well the sarg is letting loose, I might as well go for it to. Tough question, no easy answer.

If you hold them kind of across your chest, they're Wide Guns rather than Long Guns. Looks more like Patriots with a Flintlock cradled in arms as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd love to know what the 3 BPD unions position was when <obscenity deleted> made this statement?

Boston, MA –-(Ammoland.com)- Residents of Boston do not need shotguns or rifles, according to Boston Police Commissioner William Evans.

Boston’s top cop made that statement Wednesday on Boston Public Radio in response to Massachusetts state senator Stan Rosenberg’s position that there are already “sufficient controls” on long guns at the federal level, giving no need for new state laws that grant police additional powers to deny ownership to citizens.

http://cpa.ds.npr.org/demowgbh/audio/2014/07/20140723_NOON-2.mp3

According to WGBH, Evans responded:

I don’t agree with that. Having long guns–rifles and shotguns–especially here in the city of Boston. I think we should have, as the local authority, some say in the matter. [And] the federal [government] doesn’t really allow us to have the discretion that we want in these particular cases.

…For the most part, nobody in the city needs a shotgun. Nobody needs a rifle.

Police have been urging lawmakers in Boston to restore a provision to a gun bill allowing them to deny someone a license to own a rifle or shotgun even if the person passes a background check.

The Massachusetts House voted to give police those powers, but the senate later stripped that section out of the bill. Lawmakers are now expected to attend a conference committee, where the dispute could kill the bill altogether

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/07/boston-police-say-residents-do-not-need-to-own-shotguns-rifles/

I have watched some of the training on the range of the "transit" police.
I don't want to be disrespectful but I think I would feel safer with the Jr rifle team stepping in when transit police need rifle work done....just a observation.

Am not saying one way or another, but let us remember, it has been quite a few years now, to many to remember, but I would guess 10 to 15 years, That some one had stolen or some how got there hands behind a engine running , greyhound bus , or the likes of. And was having a good old time running into cars and playing pinball wizard with said bus in Boston, right in the good old heart of Boston. Now I recollect the Number of rounds being fired at that bus, and recall seeing video footage of said drama. The number of rounds going off was in the hundreds, semi auto fire 9 mm pistols, and you could guess, that all these rounds were not hitting the bus. I also remember that no by stander was hit ( I may be wrong on that one), but you could guarantee, that buildings were being hit. So This was go time , and let the lead fly. My question here is, what has changed in these human police man/men to prevent this from happening in a similar circumstance. And the decision here would be , is it a better or worse thing to have semi auto rifles going at it "go time" in a similar manner. Well the sarg is letting loose, I might as well go for it to. Tough question, no easy answer.

All those shots would probably be in the bus if they were using rifles, since they are so much more accurate to shoot than a hand gun.

The bus incident was all .38 Spl, except for the Mets, who had G17s. Long guns have been used by police since the 1870s. Nothing new.

I don't want to be disrespectful but I think I would feel safer with the Jr rifle team stepping in when transit police need rifle work done....just a observation.

I tried to find something on YouTube, this is quite something [rofl]Fast forward the video to 1 minute. [video=youtube_share;xcMCmdZnXHU]http://youtu.be/xcMCmdZnXHU[/video]

After qualifying with my PD for 17 yrs, with many of those years doing 2 quals/year and doing 1 qual with MPTC, I have to say that the most dangerous place to be is anywhere near a range in use by police.

There are LEOs who are safety-conscious and good shooters, but the vast majority are spray and pray even with handguns. And some have a propensity to handle their guns while people are downrange, I've seen it happen many times.

That was 1988-89. No bystanders were hit, not buildings were hit. The guy who stole the bus, he was hit.

BTW, the no long guns in BPD cruisers policy goes back to at least the 1970s, probably earlier. I remember at one time, Quincy PD, after a number of bank and store robberies procured and issued sub machine guns. There was an article in the Globe about it and in the article it stated that Boston didn't have any issued weapons other than handguns (revolvers) in their cruisers.

In Boston, shotguns were reserved for patrol supervisors. That changed in the early 1990s when the rise in shootings resulted in "gun cars" being put on the street. That went away until a relatively few years ago and the last I knew, Boston had them on the road.

well, logically we don't have an "assault" weapon problem in MASS if the police don't need long guns to defend themselves?

Soooo, why the ban if there is no problem?

They lit up one of their own while they were looking for Tsaernav.

Mr Mayor is going to find a meter maid on a Segway watching his house tonight [laugh]
Just the usual squad car or SUV.

So first everyone complains about the militarization of police and the growth in state power that represents, and then complains when the Mayor doesn't want it to happen?

Most of the cops are more interested in having a shotgun in the car than an AR. The union letter asked for new panels for body armor as well, presumably the kind of ceramic plates used by the mil. Think that's a cost issue.

While it's fairly humorous given the AG shit, I also don't want some patrolman outgunned just because I'm salty about some shit. I have interacted with many BPD officers, and have had to privilege to wrestle with drunks and crazies alongside them. They've saved my ass on a few occasions. They should be armed and armored appropriately.

I'm not sure cops should carry ARs, but I'm very sure the people should never be outgunned by police. We know where that leads.

After qualifying with my PD for 17 yrs, with many of those years doing 2 quals/year and doing 1 qual with MPTC, I have to say that the most dangerous place to be is anywhere near a range in use by police.

There are LEOs who are safety-conscious and good shooters, but the vast majority are spray and pray even with handguns. And some have a propensity to handle their guns while people are downrange, I've seen it happen many times.
I wish I could understand their training regimen. I was at a range this past week with a Police Firearms instructor in the next bay. (I know because he had "Firearms Instructor" on the back of his vest.) He had two students and I kid you not, were walking up to their oversized silhouette targets with M4's and firing from 10' away.

Give them what ever the hell they want, and us too.
and punish the misuse and crime,
how hard is that?

Exactly right....they'll go to the MP5's....more taxpayer dollars
yeah but when they forget to pick them up after going to the bathroom or leave them propped up against the donut counter, you have a good chance of finding a better gun. Screw Pokemon

The union letter asked for new panels for body armor as well, presumably the kind of ceramic plates used by the mil. Think that's a cost issue.
BPD doesn't have armor in their cars? I know in my town all officers wear low-level armor and have level 4 plates in their trunks. Not sure if they carry rifles.

I tried to find something on YouTube, this is quite something [rofl]Fast forward the video to 1 minute. [video=youtube_share;xcMCmdZnXHU]http://youtu.be/xcMCmdZnXHU[/video]
If someone took a front bike tire and stuck it in my face I would grab the wheel and bash their face with the handlebars, lol. Not a super effective defense.

While it's fairly humorous given the AG shit, I also don't want some patrolman outgunned just because I'm salty about some shit. I have interacted with many BPD officers, and have had to privilege to wrestle with drunks and crazies alongside them. They've saved my ass on a few occasions. They should be armed and armored appropriately.

As should we......
I have this thing nagging in my brain if things have become so bad that we need to disarm lawful citizens and conditions in the unlawful society have become so bad that POLICING needs armored cars, body armor and machine guns.....well the system has failed. By God that says to me WE THE PEOPLE need to armor up.

God bless those that choose LE as a JOB really I do pray for you....I pray for us all.

Last edited:
BPD seems to be doing just fine with the firearms they currently deploy.

68f54df99fc318b99fe75aacd5bc541c.jpg

I have no issue with police officers having patrol rifles in Constitution friendly states. I think things should apply equally for every one, which means no ARs for MA cops.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I partially stand by cop shooting victims. Because I don't think cops in USA have any restrictions on using their guns. Why do cops need guns? To protect themselves. But we have seen so many incident they would use guns when there were no threats to their lives at all. You might say everybody wants to go home after work. But that doesn't mean you can shoot unarmed people and expect no punishment. Everytime when you see a cop approaching you at traffic stop, you will see his hand on the gun grip. You don't see that in UK given that bad guys in UK also have guns.

Back
Top Bottom