• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No more paper fa/10 accepted as of 3/15/2015

pj150

NES Member
Just saw a posting from my local PD indicating that paper fa10 will no longer be accepted. All transactions will need to be done via the MA firearms portal for electronic submission.

FRB admitted to me that some types of transactions can NOT be done via eFA-10. I will check into this when I get a chance. I still have a small supply of FA-10s (3-part forms) and intend to use them up when doing it electronically is impossible or inconvenient.

ETA: Something I learned a long, long time ago . . . never believe what I'm told by a PD/LEO/dealer/instructor without vetting the info myself!

Filed my first efa-10 yesterday. Got kicked out of the system twice, third time was able to get through to the end with a confirmation number. However when it was time to print the form, got kicked out again with no way to get back to the transaction. Near as I can tell in order to get a printout of the transaction, I have to send $20 to CHSB.

Of course there's no way to just log in using my PIN to see a list of past transactions and print the forms up. Even though everywhere I've ever shopped and banked online seem to be able to manage that.

BTW the CHSB site does show that as of 3/15 paper FA-10's will no longer be accepted. Sorry folks who don't own a computer or have reservations about conducting a gun transaction in a public library. Nothing like mandating a broken system under penalty of law.

Filed my first efa-10 yesterday. Got kicked out of the system twice, third time was able to get through to the end with a confirmation number. However when it was time to print the form, got kicked out again with no way to get back to the transaction. Near as I can tell in order to get a printout of the transaction, I have to send $20 to CHSB.

Of course there's no way to just log in using my PIN to see a list of past transactions and print the forms up. Even though everywhere I've ever shopped and banked online seem to be able to manage that.

BTW the CHSB site does show that as of 3/15 paper FA-10's will no longer be accepted. Sorry folks who don't own a computer or have reservations about conducting a gun transaction in a public library. Nothing like mandating a broken system under penalty of law.

They allegedly were changing the software so bugs are to be expected.

No you don't need to pay to get a printout, just call them and ask. It's been discussed here dozens of times before.

No there is no way to see prior transactions or hackers would be publishing our names and what we own in the Boston Globe!! That was an intentional feature.

Not being able to do paper is going to be a problem and result in some non-compliance issues unless the software was changed significantly to allow for those corner cases.

They allegedly were changing the software so bugs are to be expected.

No you don't need to pay to get a printout, just call them and ask. It's been discussed here dozens of times before.

No there is no way to see prior transactions or hackers would be publishing our names and what we own in the Boston Globe!! That was an intentional feature.

Not being able to do paper is going to be a problem and result in some non-compliance issues unless the software was changed significantly to allow for those corner cases.

What you mean by non compliance ?

Head off the paper problem... Print to PDF with any good freeware PDF virtual printer... PDFcreator is my preference, there are many others. Tyne.
Email the pdf file or take as many tries as is necessary to get paper.

Can't print to PDF if you can't even get the document to appear, and I shouldn't have to "call and ask" - if they are mandating the use of this process then it should work EVERY TIME, and if not, the option to use paper forms should not be prohibited. I never had to make phone calls because a paper form didn't fail to print. If bugs were to be expected then the system should not have been implemented (not to mention mandated), especially when one takes into consideration what is at risk here. And if "hackers can get the info" they are going to get it no matter what. Last I checked it was still illegal to gain unauthorized access to a computer system. If this was by design then I better call my doctor's office, because I can log in there and get my medical history. Heaven knows, I wouldn't want a hacker to find out what prescriptions I take and print it in the Globe. [rolleyes]

The system is and always has been flawed, inadequate and defective. Mandating its use is going to create a bunch of criminals out of thin air, which I imagine is a bonus that the state expected all along.

Can't print to PDF if you can't even get the document to appear, and I shouldn't have to "call and ask" - if they are mandating the use of this process then it should work EVERY TIME, and if not, the option to use paper forms should not be prohibited. I never had to make phone calls because a paper form didn't fail to print. If bugs were to be expected then the system should not have been implemented (not to mention mandated), especially when one takes into consideration what is at risk here. And if "hackers can get the info" they are going to get it no matter what. Last I checked it was still illegal to gain unauthorized access to a computer system. If this was by design then I better call my doctor's office, because I can log in there and get my medical history. Heaven knows, I wouldn't want a hacker to find out what prescriptions I take and print it in the Globe. [rolleyes]

The system is and always has been flawed, inadequate and defective. Mandating its use is going to create a bunch of criminals out of thin air, which I imagine is a bonus that the state expected all along.

i had an issue using my mac when doing this...I got to the final step like you and then bam...locked out

The Mac thing has been observed before - I'm a PC guy, altho I use Chrome on Android, iPhone, and several PCs with no troubles, I have never tried eFA10 on other-than-Windows.

i had an issue using a sellers MAC once, never had an issue with a Windows PC. If I remember the mac had some sort of a PDF security issue.

Did an efa10 in January and it was very simple. Just put in license numbers and all information pops up. Saved the transaction as a PDF file and now I can print as many as I want at any time.

i had an issue using my mac when doing this...I got to the final step like you and then bam...locked out

I only use Macs. Only issue, and it is 100% occurrence, is that Preview does not handle the resulting PDF that is created. You need to use Adobe Reader or some other SW for looking at the PDF other than the default Preview app.

Did an efa10 in January and it was very simple. Just put in license numbers and all information pops up. Saved the transaction as a PDF file and now I can print as many as I want at any time.

Let me know how this works for you when you sell a gun to a dealer in MA or outside MA! Some want to "get the gun out of their name" and prior FRB Director claimed it was illegal not to report a sale to a dealer. In any case, FRB admitted to me that paper was the only way to do this unless you had the MA dealer's Dealer Number (NOT FFL #). I'll bet most dealers won't give that to you (unless you get it on a FA-10 from a prior purchase there).

- - - Updated - - -

I only use Macs. Only issue, and it is 100% occurrence, is that Preview does not handle the resulting PDF that is created. You need to use Adobe Reader or some other SW for looking at the PDF other than the default Preview app.

Correct, this has been know by FRB since they created the eFA-10 portal. It looks like they have no intention of fixing it. It is ONLY a problem with Macs and as you state, if you use Adobe Reader instead of the Apple app, it will work fine.

I have trouble doing it on a MAC as well. I had to print it out then scan it to save it as PDF otherwise it is a locked file asking for a password.
Last time I used it, I got the confirmation number and wrote it down. When I tried to print, the system gave me an error.
But I had taken a screen shot of my computer before I did.
MASS RNV send you an e-jai of your transaction instantly?? What is wrong with these guys? Oh wait the don't like us having guns if the first place!!!!!!

It works on the Mac desktop version of Google chrome. Press the print button on the website. It will then show the info. You can save it and email to your buyer.

It won't work on iPhone.

Have your buyer validate his ltc at his home and email you the validation.

If it looks good and he is sure he wants the gun, do the transfer on mircs and save a copy for you and email him a copy.

I have 2 nib guns I want to sell. If a guy knows there are new in box he knows what he is getting. I would like to do mircs at home and email him a copy. We will then meet and exchange money and be on our way.

On classifieds take telling photos and I think the transfer would go well.

If you do mircs and he does not show up I think you'll have to call up mircs to void the transaction.

I just can't get the mircs printout to work on the current iPhone. I did it a few months ago but it is broken now.

Use chrome at home on your Mac.

I agree there are some workarounds but the point still remains that we shouldn't have to do this to keep from going afoul of the law. If CHSB is going to implement a system that MUST be used then it needs to work every time for every person or there needs to be an alternative (paper forms) that will be accepted. All this for a more perfect means of registration.

The hoops that we have to jump through are getting smaller and smaller. Sooner or later the hoops will become a noose.

It works on the Mac desktop version of Google chrome. Press the print button on the website. It will then show the info. You can save it and email to your buyer.

It won't work on iPhone.

Have your buyer validate his ltc at his home and email you the validation.

If it looks good and he is sure he wants the gun, do the transfer on mircs and save a copy for you and email him a copy.

I have 2 nib guns I want to sell. If a guy knows there are new in box he knows what he is getting. I would like to do mircs at home and email him a copy. We will then meet and exchange money and be on our way.

On classifieds take telling photos and I think the transfer would go well.

If you do mircs and he does not show up I think you'll have to call up mircs to void the transaction.

I just can't get the mircs printout to work on the current iPhone. I did it a few months ago but it is broken now.

Use chrome at home on your Mac.

I suspect most intelligent people would have an issue with you doing the transfer to them without them actually being there. I know I would, and I think anyone ok with that os not very good at protecting themselves.

Just saw a posting from my local PD indicating that paper fa10 will no longer be accepted. All transactions will need to be done via the MA firearms portal for electronic submission.

Sigh.

Too tired to go look for my last rant.

Folks in my ( and maybe one or two other towns ) don't HAVE PIN's so could never DO eFA-10's.

I have a stack of paper FA-10's (thanks again, Haven) and more firearms to sell...I guess I'll just look for a big-city PD that's handing out $5 Visa cards... (eye roll.)

And what happens if a mass resides buys a long gun out of state and has to do the eFA-10? Can they do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this bit of info

IMPORTANT NOTICE: On Sunday, March 15, 2015, the E-FA-10 web site will become the Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal. Beginning on that date, firearms licensees and gun owners are required by law to report ALL private sales, transfers, and surrenders of firearms to the Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau via the Gun Portal*Paper FA-10 forms will no longer be accepted for these transaction types

Back
Top Bottom