No more Colt ARs

If I were in the market, had the money, and it was legal, I'd probably get a Windham "dissipator" with the triangular stock. Unfortunately, it has the dumb screw-on handle instead of a real, built-in handle.

Last edited:
It’s not that they’re making a better product...but that they’re making a cheaper product and making it tougher for quality component manufacturers (that charge accordingly) to stay competitive the market.

How much is a PSA vs. a colt complete rifle? Which would you rather own between that and a Colt?
Would it surprise you if colt contracted thier AR parts from the same sources PSA ? Im not saying they do but Colt sub contracts to the lowest bidder for parts stamped with thier name.
For many years alot of the AR parts came out of CT for the big players. CMT for one. Also the springs generally come from the same sources.

Beat their quality? Or offer more do-dads?

I think the LE6920 is a great rifle for the price. But you’re right that most people want either “high-end” rifles or skinflint specials.

I'll argue that my LMT CQB will blow a Colt out of the water in both durability and shooting I'll also argue that the dodads do really help with manipulating the rifle. However for what they are supposed to cost I'll agree with you they are built right, but I'm still seeing them for 1000ish when 1100 will get you all the basics but also free float barrels and better BUIS

I'll argue that my LMT CQB will blow a Colt out of the water in both durability and shooting

And I’d argue most people make that argument to justify their purchase and will never see enough rounds to realize any durability difference, real or perceived.

I’ll take a Colt, but admittedly I do like BCM and LMT products.

Well I've been had then. But I think the points here are still valid. Why buy a colt when the competition will beat thier quality at not so different a price point. On a side note I hope to come see the expanded store when I come back to visit.

Definitely stop in for a visit!!!

Not saying you were had , these days the news outlets always want to be the first to “report” without confirming , it took me a 30 second phone call to a human being to confirm this was a lie

All this did was cause panic , all the distributors were sold out of colts by noontime today because of this , so if anything it helped colt

In all honesty , with the thousands of rifles I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with at this point I can say with certainty that with the exception of LMT no other manufacturer of “classic style” AR can hold a candle to colt

I’m sure I’ll get attacked here for saying that but it’s true from what I’ve seen

LMT does hold a edge over colt in quality and longevity and BCM would be a close second to colt in my opinion , the rest , not so much

Last edited:
And I’d argue most people make that argument to justify their purchase and will never see enough rounds to realize any durability difference, real or perceived.

I’ll take a Colt, but admittedly I do like BCM and LMT products.

I'll guess we'll just argue then but I assure you it's 6 months old with already 2 cases through it. It's my competition gun and I promise you'll it'll see enough rounds. I like my fancy stuff but I don't have safe queens.

I'll guess we'll just argue then but I assure you it's 6 months old with already 2 cases through it. It's my competition gun and I promise you'll it'll see enough rounds. I like my fancy stuff but I don't have safe queens.

A LMT barrel and BCG will easily last 3x’s longer than any other brand on the market, did I mention easily:)

I'll argue that my LMT CQB will blow a Colt out of the water in both durability and shooting I'll also argue that the dodads do really help with manipulating the rifle. However for what they are supposed to cost I'll agree with you they are built right, but I'm still seeing them for 1000ish when 1100 will get you all the basics but also free float barrels and better BUIS

Can your LMT shoot a 0.170" group at 100 yards? The last Colt that I bought can and has.

No more Colt's?

China to the Rescue!

Expect counterfeits before Christmas...

its a lie, rumor was started by a employee at RSR but its not true , I just confirmed with colt that there is a delay in shipping rifles and product will be available again by December

internet rumors running wild at their best right here
Yeah well.....with the number of times Colt has been "in" and "out" of the civilian sales market anything is believable. Colt is just about the worst managed American fire arms company there is. Who the f*** would hire a guy like Ron Stewart (a total anti) to run that company which caused the boycott.....replace him who with Sliwa who poured millions into "smart gun" tech and testing which he though civilian gun owners would actually buy.......then put all their eggs in one basket with mil contracts only.......then a decade and a half later now decide to start making revolvers again? That company has schizophrenia!

Last edited:
I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and there are folks here that have a lot more experience than I do, but my Colt puts the rounds where I want them to go.
I have a custom AR with a Ranier Ultra match barrel and a Geissele trigger, that is an absolute tack driver, but the Colt keeps up pretty good.

Colt was once the only game in town when it came to the 1911 pistol and AR-15 rifle.

But time was not good to them management wise.
The Fudd was so deep that they did not take serious notice of the newer companies appearing on the marketplace.
Also to the fact that they would have to adapt to what the civilian consumer wanted.

Their 1911's were made in only a few configurations and only operated reliably with ball ammo.
No beavertail grip safeties, Novak sights, ambi safety, front strap checkering, better finishes, mag beveling and so on others soon filled the gap with.

Their AR-15's were made with out dated receivers, had non standard fire control pin sizes, non standard front take down pin sizes, receiver blocks and special cut off bolt carriers.
They were also removed the bayonet lug in an effort to appease those in CT even before the 1994 AWB.

Bushmaster came to market and advertised mil-spec rifles and grabbed a huge chunk of their share with features that most that served in the military were used to.
That was very detrimental to Colt's future in the AR-15 market!
But did they change, nope!
By the time they finally produced mil-spec rifles again the market was done with them.

Colt always had quality parts and better than most quality control.
They did let a few stinkers out here and there though.
Never mind the fact that most Colt 1911 owners would send their pistols out for a reliability package..

Last edited:
Yeah well.....with the number of times Colt has been "in" and "out" of the civilian sales market anything is believable. Colt is just about the worst managed American fire arms company there is. Who the f*** would hire a guy like Ron Stewart (a total anti) to run that company which caused the boycott.....replace him who with Sliwa who poured millions into "smart gun" tech and testing which he though civilian gun owners would actually buy.......then put all their eggs in one basket with mil contracts only.......then a decade and a half later now decide to start making revolvers again? That company has schizophrenia!

Enlighten us

When has colt been “out” of the civilian market??

Colt was once the only game in town when it came to the 1911 pistol and AR-15 rifle.

But time was not good to them management wise.
The Fudd was so deep that they did not take serious notice of the newer companies appearing on the marketplace.
Also to the fact that they would have to adapt to what the civilian consumer wanted.

Their 1911's were made in only a few configurations and only operated reliably with ball ammo.
No beavertail grip safeties, Novak sights, ambi safety, front strap checkering, better finishes, mag beveling and so on others soon filled the gap with.

Their AR-15's were made with out dated receivers, had non standard fire control pin sizes, non standard front take down pin sizes, receiver blocks and special cut off bolt carriers.
They were also removed the bayonet lug in an effort to appease those in CT even before the 1994 AWB.

Bushmaster came to market and advertised mil-spec rifles and grabbed a huge chunk of their share with features that most that served in the military were used to.
That was very detrimental to Colt's future in the AR-15 market!
But did they change, nope!
By the time they finally produced mil-spec rifles again the market was done with them.

Colt always had quality parts and better that most quality control.
They did let a few stinkers out here and there though.
Never mind the fact that most Colt 1911 owners would send their pistols out for a reliability package..
colts big problem is/was leaning on government contracts so much they gave the finger to the citizens.
i dont think colt is any better or worse than any other manufacture pumping out mil spec ARs.

Enlighten us

When has colt been “out” of the civilian market??
1999 ended revolver manufacture.

Other than the 1911 what handgun has Colt sold SUCCESSFULLY sold to the civilian market in the last 20 years?

Edit......also read the post before this one by @mac1911

Last edited:
colts big problem is/was leaning on government contracts so much they gave the finger to the citizens.
i dont think colt is any better or worse than any other manufacture pumping out mil spec ARs.

Colt's quality of the AR-15 was always better than any other manufacturer for a long time.
Everyone lets a stinker out once in awhile. But they had way less of them!

Out of the box. No other AR-15 is made as well as a Colt.
Their 6920 models are the best of their type.

Define "last longer"

Last longer as in shot out barrels or failed bolts

I’ve seen BCM barrels shot out in under 5k rounds more than once , DPMS rifles fail right out of the box , fail zero BCG’s snap in half, Sig rifles blow up, osprey piston systems refuse to work at all , Windham’s with barrel nuts so tight the upper receiver has cracked , bushmasters with FSB’s drilled canted to the side, the list can go on all day

Never had a Colt come in that failed , never sold one that didn’t work flawlessly (and I’ve sold hundreds) , have several myself that are 30+ years old that still shoot circles around my other rifles

They are just better quality , properly tested where they need to be, and better materials than most others on the market

Ending revolver “manufacturing” is far from “pulling out” of the civilian market
What did Colt replace it's sales with when they stopped revolver manufacture?

Since then they've only half successfully sold ar and 1911s to civilians. Models which they didn't even have a hand in designing. You can argue that they are quality guns but damn......they missed the ball on designing and producing new stuff to help stay out of bankruptcy

The company has barely survived in the last 20 years only because of gov contracts and still filed bankruptcy even with those contracts.

Back
Top Bottom