• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No more Colt ARs

Well you cant support the 2nd if you cant make sales. If they are losing money in the AR market, then what you wan them to do?

I get what you’re saying, and I agree wholeheartedly with you, but the AR-15 is such a large part of their history and reputation. I think any random person off the street, when asked who makes AR-15s, they’d say Colt. (Purely anecdotal - I don’t have anything to back that up.). It’s like Porsche discontinuing the 911.

Colt 6920's are like $900, that's a great price for a great rifle. Its mil-spec, same as 99.9% of the Ar's on the market. And arguably the best resale value of any name brand AR out there. Most of the main parts come from the same manufacturer.
Why would i get all wet for an LMT when its basically a milspec rifle.? Its a DI operated gun, whats so special about it? Seriously, $1599 for a milspec DI gun, No thanx. And whats with the LMT bravo buttstock at $199? Its the exact same thing as the B5 Bravo Enhanced that costs $95 all over the interwebs.
I'll pay the extra for a high end piston gun, atleast it has some extra engineering and reliability pluses.
These Noveskes, LMT, larue, is like buying a $2300 salient arms glock, how much performance are you really getting? You never get your money back for a bunch of bolt-ons and pretty colors.
Colt 6920, Done.
LMT QC and reliability are in a different league. And with the monolithic upper you can hot swap barrels. And the LMT stock is definitely nicer than the B5, although i do agree thier stocks are stupid expensive. Also a full ambi lower is just a fantastic ergonomic improvement.

I get what you’re saying, and I agree wholeheartedly with you, but the AR-15 is such a large part of their history and reputation. I think any random person off the street, when asked who makes AR-15s, they’d say Colt. (Purely anecdotal - I don’t have anything to back that up.). It’s like Porsche discontinuing the 911.

Porsche 911's still sell. Apparently colt doesnt sell enough of their own AR's to justify it.
They are a business.
By the responses here, it seems colt Ar's arent well liked. That should help you answer the question why.

This morning I saw FOX Business reporting this and to their credit they made it clear that it was an economic choice by Colt and noted specifically it was not influenced by outside pressure.

However even FOX during their report twice referred to the AR-15 as "These high-powered weapons" which according to FOX will continue to be sold to the military by Colt. o_O

:emoji_tiger:

LMT QC and reliability are in a different league. And with the monolithic upper you can hot swap barrels. And the LMT stock is definitely nicer than the B5, although i do agree thier stocks are stupid expensive. Also a full ambi lower is just a fantastic ergonomic improvement.

There is nothing wrong with mil-spec quality control. It's worked for 50 years.
What's the difference in stock quality? I'm betting B5 makes it for them, its literally a carbon copy. I can change an Ar barrel in 15 minutes, why do I need a quick change? You still have to remove the gas block etc etc. Full ambi is majorly over rate . Wow bolt catch on both sides, amazing...and for the premium? Please.

Porsche 911's still sell. Apparently colt doesnt sell enough of their own AR's to justify it.
They are a business.
By the responses here, it seems colt Ar's arent well liked. That should help you answer the question why.

You completely missed the point.

There is nothing wrong with mil-spec quality control. It's worked for 50 years.
What's the difference in stock quality? I'm betting B5 makes it for them, its literally a carbon copy. I can change an Ar barrel in 15 minutes, why do I need a quick change? You still have to remove the gas block etc etc. Full ambi is majorly over rate . Wow bolt catch on both sides, amazing...and for the premium? Please.
LMT invented the SOPMOD so B5 was a cheaper copy. Having the same manual of arms is sweet when you swap sides. You can find this stuff better prices if you can find a high volume LMT dealer. Plus the markup is worth it, everyone on the range either gets jealous or wants to play with it. Its pretty great.

They are a business.

How did you come to the conclusion that Colt AR's aren't liked? Colt AR reliability is legendary. How could anyone not like that? As we all know, many NES members are well known, for being extremely cheap. They may not like Colt prices, but you can bet they like Colt reliability.

At least they wrote a nice press release

...The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future....

....At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change. Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world...

They aren't wrong. They are small fish in a HUGE pond right now. 25 years ago they could have owned the pond and decided not to. Reap. Sow. Repeat.

They weren’t selling them so it makes perfect business sense to focus elsewhere.

Zactly!

Damn I just saw this on CNN’s website. Now new guys in the game such as myself need to get a move on and grab ARs before their prices get too outrageous.

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

How did you come to the conclusion that Colt AR's aren't liked? Colt AR reliability is legendary. How could anyone not like that? As we all know, many NES members are well known, for being extremely cheap. They may not like Colt prices, but you can bet they like Colt reliability.

Yeah. That's not how the economy works. Duesenberg made the best car. Strange they are OOB now. Well liked. Innovative. High quality. OOB???? People didn't understand quality and reliability????

I get that you feel nostalgic, M60, but we've got 2 choices - Colt continues making these guns and loses money (which they aren't going to do) or you and some investors buy their machinery out and remake them yourself, a la Windham Weaponry. The reality is the "alleged" increase in reliability (and it is alleged - no one's done any testing of Colt vs. XYZ vs. ABC) isn't worth the increased cost according to the market. (And a smattering of Colt's 30-year FU to gun owners.)

I'm hoping they use the shop space and personnel to bring back the Colt 2000. I'm really excited about that.

And how does the MSM play it?

Colt AR-15 Production: ABC Bends the Truth to Fit the Narrative | National Review

And WaPo:

There are so many AR-15s in U.S. consumer hands that it makes no sense to produce more, Colt says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...hat-it-makes-no-sense-produce-more-colt-says/
I don't know which scummy organization posted it, but one made their headline:

"In the wake of recent mass shootings, Colt stops selling AR-15s to civilians."

It was the biggest BS headline I've seen in a while and a complete misdirection. If anyone wants proof of the media's disingenuous nature, there you go.

Beto of course also tweeted about it, acting like he was the motivating factor, of course. Despicable.

I got one for $900, so I'm not sure what the problem is either.

They aren't wrong. They are small fish in a HUGE pond right now. 25 years ago they could have owned the pond and decided not to. Reap. Sow. Repeat.

Zactly!

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Yeah. That's not how the economy works. Duesenberg made the best car. Strange they are OOB now. Well liked. Innovative. High quality. OOB???? People didn't understand quality and reliability????

I get that you feel nostalgic, M60, but we've got 2 choices - Colt continues making these guns and loses money (which they aren't going to do) or you and some investors buy their machinery out and remake them yourself, a la Windham Weaponry. The reality is the "alleged" increase in reliability (and it is alleged - no one's done any testing of Colt vs. XYZ vs. ABC) isn't worth the increased cost according to the market. (And a smattering of Colt's 30-year FU to gun owners.)

I'm hoping they use the shop space and personnel to bring back the Colt 2000. I'm really excited about that.

Sure there is a bit of nostalgia involved for me, but not that much really. It's that I've seen them run and keep on running full auto, short and long bursts, under crazy, under maintained conditions, for prolonged periods of time. I don't think any NES member can say that about any other maker of AR's.

Last edited:

Zactly!

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Dusenbergs were very expensive. They were around $15k for a base model. The average Dr. made $3k a year back in the 30's. So ya. Quality doesn't mean crap at that price point.

95% of the Ar rifles on the market are built to mil-spec. And I'd still buy the colt. They've been used for 50 years. And resale value, and collectability.
When you pay extra for a Daniel defence how much more are you getting? Can you prove that colt isnt as good as XYZ to justify the premium. I can buy a colt and slap on a nice rail, a nice stock an $85 larue trigger.
Colt doesnt have to prove its reliability, theyve proven themselves already. And they arent unaffordable. If I'm paying 1600 or more or a boutique brand AR then you better prove the cost hike, not just assume it.
Now when it comes to windham, and PSA, bushy. Something has to give there. Do they work, yes. But I'm still buying the Colt, cuz colt.

And how does the MSM play it?

Colt AR-15 Production: ABC Bends the Truth to Fit the Narrative | National Review

And WaPo:

There are so many AR-15s in U.S. consumer hands that it makes no sense to produce more, Colt says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...hat-it-makes-no-sense-produce-more-colt-says/

This is somewhat true, but the real reason is that Colt just landed a big contract making military rifles for US allies.

> U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Contract

Colt has always preferred making contract rifles than trying to compete in the civilian market. My guess is that they are turning those AR-15 production lines towards making these M4's. Looks like a couple more years of Colt viability before FN snags this contract and causes another bankruptcy [devil]

Their press release indicated that they have sufficient inventory of AR-15's to continue offering them for sale for the foreseeable future, so it's not like they are gone.

Funny how media words things. They just said on the 12 o’clock news that Colt is stopping making AR’s because there are to many of them out there.

Funny how media words things. They just said on the 12 o’clock news that Colt is stopping making AR’s because there are to many of them out there.

Its crazy, my news feeds is popping off about it. Such garbage. No different than North Korea feeding their people propaganda news.

LMT invented the SOPMOD so B5 was a cheaper copy. Having the same manual of arms is sweet when you swap sides. You can find this stuff better prices if you can find a high volume LMT dealer. Plus the markup is worth it, everyone on the range either gets jealous or wants to play with it. Its pretty great.

B5 got the contract in 2009 to produce them for the military. The B5s are legit.
And I bet that gas system on an LMT is truly amazing...lol. what a concept that everyone uses.

Any truth to the news Glock will stop trying to make firearms? Asking for a few girls I know that own them

Not even the same comparison, especially since Colt said they are putting a hold on civvie sales.

B5 got the contract in 2009 to produce them for the military. The B5s are legit.
And I bet that gas system on an LMT is truly amazing...lol. what a concept that everyone uses.

Better than your poverty pony

Nah I already sold mine to keep it in MA to piss off Healy. If I had one now I'd wait till 2020 elections and make a killing.

Ha! Funny you mention that. Very few people know that I own a gun, let alone the amount I actually have. One of my friend’s wife had made a comment at a cookout, then turned to me and said, “and do you even need X ARs?”

My response was simple and shut her up for the night. “Investment, Mel. Just another investment.”

Back
Top Bottom