1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

No more Colt ARs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sigfanboy13, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:52 PM.

1. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Its hard to say. The few people I know who own colts keep them locked up because they think they are worth big bucks..
    As far as mil spec ARs are concerned IF they are made to specs they will not be any worse or better from one manufacture to the other.

2. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

This is the stuff I like to know.
    Now with a military contract if the specs from the military call for a QC check of batch testing you can bet any manufacture will not do anything more than they have to.

3. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

I’ve always been curious about this. This may not be the right comment at this point as it’s unlikely a startup would land a major contract of that scale and scope, but not impossible. My comment applies more to the general commercial marketplace.

I would think many, if not most, fledgling companies entering the market would do exhaustive QC until they get their manufacturing process up to where they are comfortable that consumers can expect consistency.

That’s purely speculation on my part as I have nothing to back that up with. But I do wonder about that from time to time on a wide arrange of products.

4. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

I know mine are locked in a King Tut like safe with unicorn semen circulating to maintain the proper conditions.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

[rofl][rofl]

:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

6. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I rhink there would be a lot of butt heart if it was known how little each “manufacture” actually makes and how little QC checks are done.
    Make 100 pcs pull 10 and check...if 9 out of 10 pass the 100 pass.

Also on large scale production even if they know X amount going out the door are NFG its cheaper to warranty it after than stop production and fix the problem

7. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

No.

8. sschevy

sschevy Instructor Dealer NES Member

I just talked to my contact at LMT and had a extensive conversation with him about this, he tells me things are not changing and that they would not sacrifice their reputation simply to save time , and that their QC process and MP testing will stay the same even though the contracts do not call for MP testing of all the additional components they do it on

sigfanboy13 and Grendizer138 like this.
  9. sschevy

sschevy Instructor Dealer NES Member

LMT isn't exactly a fledgling company, they are actually quite the opposite and very much at the top of the game in this style of rifle

10. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

I wasn't speaking about LMT specifically. Or BCM or LWRC. It was a generalization that could be applied to any industry.

11. jpk

jpk

Why anyone would spend additional money on a colt AR is incomprehensible......especially with so many companies making super high quality AR's/Parts for a lot less money

whacko likes this.
  12. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

There are plenty of great companies that make great ARs that haven't filed bankruptcy multiple time, haven't been chronically mismanaged, that don't support gun control, that don't support smart guns, take don't money from an Anti gun state and that don't support unions.

You would think Colt is running by SJW liberals

whacko likes this.
  13. dcmdon

dcmdon NES Member

Here's an interesting tid bit.
    For years, Colt was actually 2 companies. One made military firearm, the other made civilian firearms.

There was literally a chain link fence down the middle of the factory floor. The Colt sporters were made on the civilian side and the M"whatever" along with the 69"whatever" were made on the other side of the fence. Supposedly there was more QC on the "mil" side of the fence.

It was ridiculous. My Colt accounting friend once explained it to me. But it was so ridiculous I have forgotten why.

I believe that changed after the bankruptcy a couple of years ago.

Also interesting. Colt Competition - these rifles were not made by Colt. They sold their name.

14. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Colt Defense and Colt Manufacturing split to protect the defense side from lawsuits from the civilian side. Colt Defense had to sell ARs to Colt Manufacturing to sell to the public.

Colt competition was owned by a guy that worked for Kimber...shocking that they went belly up

15. M60

M60 NES Member

That is interesting. Colt told me that they made the rifles, but they then went to Colt competition to be tweeked. Whatever they did at Colt competition, they did it well. Colt Competition told me that they only did 8 or 9 rifles a month.

16. Coyote33

Coyote33

Windham seems to be a VERY squared away company. They are organized and focused. I wish they had the capacity to scale this to something big enough to serve our military. Somehow, I think when companies get too big, they lose the magic.

67ray likes this.
  17. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

My take on this is that when companies, especially firearms manufacturers, get away from being run and owned by people who are really interested in their product, then they tend to suffer.Colt in particular seems to have been cursed with leadership which is only interested in money, not their product.

18. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

unless your contact is the boss Im not buying it.
    if they are making rifles for mil (unless its a small contract) they will be pushed to dead lines.
    i do hope you are correct though.

19. sigfanboy13

sigfanboy13

They make 40MMs for the US, and thier military contracts are NZ, Estonia, and they make the DMR for England. So while they do large military contracts, these nations are still not the same ballpark as trying to outfit the entire US military.