No more Colt ARs

Colt's quality of the AR-15 was always better than any other manufacturer for a long time.
Everyone lets a stinker out once in awhile. But they had way less of them!

Out of the box. No other AR-15 is made as well as a Colt.
Their 6920 models are the best of their type.
Its hard to say. The few people I know who own colts keep them locked up because they think they are worth big bucks..
As far as mil spec ARs are concerned IF they are made to specs they will not be any worse or better from one manufacture to the other.

They farm out some small parts like extractors, threaded hardware, pins, and gas rings but other than that everything is made on site

What impressed me about LMT over everyone else is that most manufacturers MP “batch test” test their bolts and barrels so they test one every hundred or so

LMT not only test every single one , but also MP tests on over 20 other points in their rifle , no other manufacturer can claim that level of quality control

Let’s hope with their new manufacturing facility and recent military contracts that nothing changes in terms of quality
This is the stuff I like to know.
Now with a military contract if the specs from the military call for a QC check of batch testing you can bet any manufacture will not do anything more than they have to.

Now with a military contract if the specs from the military call for a QC check of batch testing you can bet any manufacture will not do anything more than they have to.

I’ve always been curious about this. This may not be the right comment at this point as it’s unlikely a startup would land a major contract of that scale and scope, but not impossible. My comment applies more to the general commercial marketplace.

I would think many, if not most, fledgling companies entering the market would do exhaustive QC until they get their manufacturing process up to where they are comfortable that consumers can expect consistency.

That’s purely speculation on my part as I have nothing to back that up with. But I do wonder about that from time to time on a wide arrange of products.

Its hard to say. The few people I know who own colts keep them locked up because they think they are worth big bucks..
As far as mil spec ARs are concerned IF they are made to specs they will not be any worse or better from one manufacture to the other.

I know mine are locked in a King Tut like safe with unicorn semen circulating to maintain the proper conditions.

For me it' more of a " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of a thing". Colts have always worked well. I see know reasonable reason to switch. Then again, both of my vehicles are Ford products. I do agree that management, has taken a once great company and screwed it up.

[rofl][rofl]

:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I’ve always been curious about this. This may not be the right comment at this point as it’s unlikely a startup would land a major contract of that scale and scope, but not impossible. My comment applies more to the general commercial marketplace.

I would think many, if not most, fledgling companies entering the market would do exhaustive QC until they get their manufacturing process up to where they are comfortable that consumers can expect consistency.

That’s purely speculation on my part as I have nothing to back that up with. But I do wonder about that from time to time on a wide arrange of products.
I rhink there would be a lot of butt heart if it was known how little each “manufacture” actually makes and how little QC checks are done.
Make 100 pcs pull 10 and check...if 9 out of 10 pass the 100 pass.

Also on large scale production even if they know X amount going out the door are NFG its cheaper to warranty it after than stop production and fix the problem

I just talked to my contact at LMT and had a extensive conversation with him about this, he tells me things are not changing and that they would not sacrifice their reputation simply to save time , and that their QC process and MP testing will stay the same even though the contracts do not call for MP testing of all the additional components they do it on

LMT isn't exactly a fledgling company, they are actually quite the opposite and very much at the top of the game in this style of rifle

LMT isn't exactly a fledgling company, they are actually quite the opposite and very much at the top of the game in this style of rifle

I wasn't speaking about LMT specifically. Or BCM or LWRC. It was a generalization that could be applied to any industry.

There are plenty of great companies that make great ARs that haven't filed bankruptcy multiple time, haven't been chronically mismanaged, that don't support gun control, that don't support smart guns, take don't money from an Anti gun state and that don't support unions.

You would think Colt is running by SJW liberals

Here's an interesting tid bit.
For years, Colt was actually 2 companies. One made military firearm, the other made civilian firearms.

There was literally a chain link fence down the middle of the factory floor. The Colt sporters were made on the civilian side and the M"whatever" along with the 69"whatever" were made on the other side of the fence. Supposedly there was more QC on the "mil" side of the fence.

It was ridiculous. My Colt accounting friend once explained it to me. But it was so ridiculous I have forgotten why.

I believe that changed after the bankruptcy a couple of years ago.

Also interesting. Colt Competition - these rifles were not made by Colt. They sold their name.

For years, Colt was actually 2 companies. One made military firearm, the other made civilian firearms.

There was literally a chain link fence down the middle of the factory floor. The Colt sporters were made on the civilian side and the M"whatever" along with the 69"whatever" were made on the other side of the fence. Supposedly there was more QC on the "mil" side of the fence.

It was ridiculous. My Colt accounting friend once explained it to me. But it was so ridiculous I have forgotten why.

Also interesting. Colt Competition - these rifles were not made by Colt. They sold their name.

Colt Defense and Colt Manufacturing split to protect the defense side from lawsuits from the civilian side. Colt Defense had to sell ARs to Colt Manufacturing to sell to the public.

Colt competition was owned by a guy that worked for Kimber...shocking that they went belly up

That is interesting. Colt told me that they made the rifles, but they then went to Colt competition to be tweeked. Whatever they did at Colt competition, they did it well. Colt Competition told me that they only did 8 or 9 rifles a month.

Windham seems to be a VERY squared away company. They are organized and focused. I wish they had the capacity to scale this to something big enough to serve our military. Somehow, I think when companies get too big, they lose the magic.

Windham seems to be a VERY squared away company. They are organized and focused. I wish they had the capacity to scale this to something big enough to serve our military. Somehow, I think when companies get too big, they lose the magic.

My take on this is that when companies, especially firearms manufacturers, get away from being run and owned by people who are really interested in their product, then they tend to suffer.Colt in particular seems to have been cursed with leadership which is only interested in money, not their product.

I just talked to my contact at LMT and had a extensive conversation with him about this, he tells me things are not changing and that they would not sacrifice their reputation simply to save time , and that their QC process and MP testing will stay the same even though the contracts do not call for MP testing of all the additional components they do it on
unless your contact is the boss Im not buying it.
if they are making rifles for mil (unless its a small contract) they will be pushed to dead lines.
i do hope you are correct though.

unless your contact is the boss Im not buying it.
if they are making rifles for mil (unless its a small contract) they will be pushed to dead lines.
i do hope you are correct though.
They make 40MMs for the US, and thier military contracts are NZ, Estonia, and they make the DMR for England. So while they do large military contracts, these nations are still not the same ballpark as trying to outfit the entire US military.

At least they wrote a nice press release

...The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future....

....At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change. Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world...

I lived in CT near the Colt plant for 9 years, and worked with people who formerly worked at Colt for many years. They said that every rifle barrel was inspected for straightness and bent into spec using an arbor press. These were military contract rifles mostly. So aside from the nostalgia related to Colt, i am not surprised they cant compete with higher quality AR manufacturers and decided to pack it in. Colt was dependant on sole source government contracts for a long time, no incentive to get better. Their quality has always been poor.

Damn I just saw this on CNN’s website. Now new guys in the game such as myself need to get a move on and grab ARs before their prices get too outrageous.

Dammit Colt.

I don’t need another Colt AR, but I have been looking for a Gold Cup Trophy and a National Match (not very seriously though) to round out my Colt 1911 collection, and will have to be much more conscious if I do end up getting them.

Disappointing news for sure.

At least they wrote a nice press release

...The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future....

....At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change. Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world...

Bullshit. If Colt wanted to support the second ammendment then they would continue selling AR's to the civilian market. This is very disappointing.

Colt 6920's are like $900, that's a great price for a great rifle. Its mil-spec, same as 99.9% of the Ar's on the market. And arguably the best resale value of any name brand AR out there. Most of the main parts come from the same manufacturer.
Why would i get all wet for an LMT when its basically a milspec rifle.? Its a DI operated gun, whats so special about it? Seriously, $1599 for a milspec DI gun, No thanx. And whats with the LMT bravo buttstock at $199? Its the exact same thing as the B5 Bravo Enhanced that costs $95 all over the interwebs.
I'll pay the extra for a high end piston gun, atleast it has some extra engineering and reliability pluses.
These Noveskes, LMT, larue, is like buying a $2300 salient arms glock, how much performance are you really getting? You never get your money back for a bunch of bolt-ons and pretty colors.
Colt 6920, Done.

Bullshit. If Colt wanted to support the second ammendment then they would continue selling AR's to the civilian market. This is very disappointing.

Well you cant support the 2nd if you cant make sales. If they are losing money in the AR market, then what you wan them to do?

Back
Top Bottom