• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No Mass deer hunting this year

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Because of the stupid cataract in my one good eye that won't be fixed till Jan. Oh, I could draw down on a deer at 50 yards but the sabot slugs carry a lot farther than that. Better safe than sorry. There is always next year. The eye dr. tells me that there is only a 1 in 10,000 chance of screwing up the surgery. She has done 9,999 without a problem. Should I worry? Jack.

That stinks Jack...I don't know much about them, but would a magnified optic on your shotgun help? For what it's worth, both of my aunts had them done and they were very successful. Too bad you can't hunt deer with your Thompson - would improve your odds...[grin] Hang in there Jack and I'll send good thoughts your way....

I'd like to see somebody try to hunt with a Thompson.

Maybe we can stage a 'running dear' event for Jack.

Also, my wife had both eyes done and it was a piece of cake. No worries!!

David

Last edited:
Because of the stupid cataract in my one good eye that won't be fixed till Jan. Oh, I could draw down on a deer at 50 yards but the sabot slugs carry a lot farther than that. Better safe than sorry. There is always next year. The eye dr. tells me that there is only a 1 in 10,000 chance of screwing up the surgery. She has done 9,999 without a problem. Should I worry? Jack.

That does stink. I've never heard of that surgery going awry, for what it's worth.

I for one am hoping your username doesn't become prophetic[wink]

If you hunt from a tree stand and keep your shots within relatively short yardage, you won't have to worry about a back stop.

The eye dr. tells me that there is only a 1 in 10,000 chance of screwing up the surgery. She has done 9,999 without a problem. Should I worry? Jack.

Worried about 1 in 10,000? I don't know, Jack - aren't you the licensed fortune teller here?

[smile]

Good luck with the surgery!

cs32a.jpg
+
brick%20wall%20to%20clouds.jpg

Any volunteers to help Jack safely bag one?

Jack,

I don't know anyone who has regretted having cataract surgery. I had both eyes done a couple years ago by OCB and the results amazed me.
Your surgeon must be new to this game - mine had done 30,000 + when he took care of me.
Good luck

Ask if your vision will change. My father had it done, and went from being quite nearsighted to farsighted. After 40 years of wearing glasses and being able to just take 'em off to see anything up close, he say's it's quite the adjustment to no longer seeing anything in front of his face.

Too bad he lives his life in front of the computer. I'm sure that, if he were to get into shooting, he'd like the change!

First off my intension is not to scare you, If I do I Apologize.

My step father had cataracts surgery and it did go awry. He is now legally blind. Before he went under the knife we knew many people that had it done with no problems. Even the doctor said this has never happened before. So I understand why you are nervous. I hope and pray that every thing goes well for you.

As far as hunting goes that sucks

one day i will be in your very shoes. i am blind in my left eye, which also has glaucoma, and was told at my last visit that my right eye is developing a cataract. don't know how long it will take but it's on it's way there.

so yah i feel for you on this one!

Back
Top Bottom