• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No love for bayonets?

I'm hearing lots about the phasing out, lack of need, less or no training, time better spent of bayonets and now even less book keeping. I can assure you that the Marine Corps has time in it's training schedule for marksmanship, movement techniques, etc., but still finds the bayonet important enough to train Marines in its use and the reasons for it.
When the .223/556 bullet/bullets don't immediately stop the aggressor as anticipated and the aggressor continues to move forward, It will most assuredly deflate your anticipated result, play games with your head and probably slow down your reaction time. The availability of the attached bayonet and its use, if practiced, much the same way that you drill with your firearm, should cause you to revert to what you've drilled for and enable you to finish the job if need be. It's merely a last ditch option. I like options more than the lack of options, but that's just me. You should do as you like.

Here you go, plenty of love [smile]

38A0DD69-9C59-4D95-B579-F770410ADC66_zpsyvpu2x1k.jpg

When the .223/556 bullet/bullets don't immediately stop the aggressor as anticipated and the aggressor continues to move forward, It will most assuredly deflate your anticipated result, play games with your head and probably slow down your reaction time. The availability of the attached bayonet and its use, if practiced, much the same way that you drill with your firearm, should cause you to revert to what you've drilled for and enable you to finish the job if need be. It's merely a last ditch option. I like options more than the lack of options, but that's just me. You should do as you like.

i agree with this line of thinking...the more options the better and last resort options that have no chance of failing are always good in my book...but everyone's situation is different and what works for some won't work for others...the problem is that there are too many variables and different situations to prepare for...who knows, the individual attacking you could be so drugged up he doesn't stop coming after being shot...and if he is coming at you with a few holes in him already you'd be glad to have that bayonet on the end of that rifle...for hd i'm going for my pistol to be a little more mobile but the rifle is still an option...in the middle of the night when you're sleeping in your shorts you're probably only going to be able to grab one option cause i don't see where you're putting another option in a pair of shorts...and once you fire 1 round of just about anything typically used for hd inside a house you're pretty much not going to be able to hear anything after that so you better be sure of that first shot cause you may not get another...and depending on the house layout that may require you to be closer to be able to see the attacker so to have a bayonet in case of a malfunction i'd say that's not a bad idea...if all your bedrooms are in one part of the house there is really no reason for you to go clearing the house if you want to protect your family and don't want any chance of harm coming to them...you wait for them to come to you preferably down a long straight hallway and let it rip...but if you need to clear your house to get to the rest of the bedrooms/family member you may not want a rifle with a bayonet on it...def some interesting points brought up though

i agree with this line of thinking...the more options the better and last resort options that have no chance of failing are always good in my book...but everyone's situation is different and what works for some won't work for others...the problem is that there are too many variables and different situations to prepare for...who knows, the individual attacking you could be so drugged up he doesn't stop coming after being shot...and if he is coming at you with a few holes in him already you'd be glad to have that bayonet on the end of that rifle...for hd i'm going for my pistol to be a little more mobile but the rifle is still an option...in the middle of the night when you're sleeping in your shorts you're probably only going to be able to grab one option cause i don't see where you're putting another option in a pair of shorts...and once you fire 1 round of just about anything typically used for hd inside a house you're pretty much not going to be able to hear anything after that so you better be sure of that first shot cause you may not get another...and depending on the house layout that may require you to be closer to be able to see the attacker so to have a bayonet in case of a malfunction i'd say that's not a bad idea...if all your bedrooms are in one part of the house there is really no reason for you to go clearing the house if you want to protect your family and don't want any chance of harm coming to them...you wait for them to come to you preferably down a long straight hallway and let it rip...but if you need to clear your house to get to the rest of the bedrooms/family member you may not want a rifle with a bayonet on it...def some interesting points brought up though

Good thought process. As I've said throughout this thread, My go to weapon of choice is a Glock 21, with night sights, laser, light and pre ban, High cap mags. Hoping that I'll never need anything.

Good thought process. As I've said throughout this thread, My go to weapon of choice is a Glock 21, with night sights, laser, light and pre ban, High cap mags. Hoping that I'll never need anything.

TTPs are constantly changing on the battlefield- each war or conflict sees an evolution in tactics and technique. Most Army units leave the bayonets at home, and have been for the better part of the last 10 years. I'm Army- my BIL is a Marine- he and I have come up through the ranks together and he is now a Gunny- he's never pulled his bayonet out of his footlocker. We have 7 combined deployments. I think bayonet training would still be good for the military, I went through it in Basic in '02, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but the big Army disagrees. That decision is based off of how much time a soldier has a bayonet attached to his rifle- almost never- so why not take that time to train more on MOUT or Combatives?

And also to add, in Army Combatives we train the MUZZLE THUMP- it's extremely effective. It's simply a short thrust forward with a single step towards the attacker. It will bring an attacker to their knees for a follow-up butt-stroke or smash.

Not to derail this thread, but what are you running on your Glock 21? I just bought one recently and it's now my home defense pistol, but I was thinking of adding a laser or a light- what do you recommend?

I've had good luck so far with the Viridian X5L, green laser / light combination. It's a relatively small unit and the light is very bright for it's size. It has several variable laser / light settings to choose from. Batteries last about an hour on full tilt, but are easy to replace and I don't expect a home confrontation to last very long.

Fwiw, I bought a glock with a red flashing lasermax guide rod already installed. I planned on swapping it out for a regular rod but liked it so much I kept it.

The human eye recognizes the flashing dot instinctively.

Two stories: buddy of mine 3rd Ranger bn. fixed bayonets to assault the Conandancia in Panama . Reason? No idea what they were gonna run into. Story 2, Iraq. A buddy of mine swears by a bayonet on the end if his carbine as a perfect search tool in city's. Lead with blade to open cabinets and Various spaces. Spoke of it as ideal for this purpose. Other Soldiers would borrow it to go out the wire since they did not deploy with eniogh. Modern warfare!

I don't think I've ever attached the bayonet to my Mosin-Nagant, but I think I will now and see what it's like.

Is there a martial art devoted to the bayonet? Something like bartitsu and its focus on using walking sticks?

ha ha, very funny ... yes, since long time ago

shtyk-1.jpg

283-03%20%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%89%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B0%20%D0%B2%20%D1%88%D1%82%D1%8B%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%BC%20%D1%84%D0%B5%D1%85%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B81470.jpg

I found some books

coversm.jpg

006.gif

otrabotka_priemov_s_vintovkoy_1941_m_burk_white.b0v2akv9fpc0oscw8sgcg040w.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpeg

283-01%20%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BA%D0%B0%20%D0%BF%D0%BE%20%D1%88%D1%82%D1%8B%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%83%20%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%8E1468.jpg

there is also "martial art" of fighting with a helmet:

0178.jpg

and of course a shovel

tmp1ab-60.jpeg
67108b07dd39b69138dd9daaf7c4ae14_full.jpg

but that's a whole another thread "why no love for shovels?" [rofl]

I've had good luck so far with the Viridian X5L, green laser / light combination. It's a relatively small unit and the light is very bright for it's size. It has several variable laser / light settings to choose from. Batteries last about an hour on full tilt, but are easy to replace and I don't expect a home confrontation to last very long.

That is a nice setup, I'm going to have to make that investment shortly. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom