• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No license check to handle firearms at Bass Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy and his wife went to Bass Pro last night at Patriot Place and got to handle a SW 500 without any sort of a license check. Neither is licensed. I thought that was a little odd. Anyone else not get ID'd when handling a firearm at a gun shop?

i went last week and my GF saw a ruger she wanted to look at. Guy asked for both of our LTC's.

My buddy and his wife went to Bass Pro last night at Patriot Place and got to handle a SW 500 without any sort of a license check. Neither is licensed. I thought that was a little odd. Anyone else not get ID'd when handling a firearm at a gun shop?

You have lived in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts too long.

Come to New Hampshire. I go to gun stores here and in some cases, there are guns just laying on a counter. Oh.. try stealing it and you will be shot repeatedly by the gun store owner.

41PMF4udY7L._SY300_.jpg

Does "The Rat" know about this? [shocked]

There is no legal requirement for someone to have an LTC or FID to handle firearms at a gun shop. It falls under the "temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm" exception in MGL ch 140 sec 129C. Any shop that does require seeing your LTC/FID before examining a firearm is doing it as a matter of store policy.

I'm surprised it didn't load itself and go around killing people after it was released into their untrained hands.

I have never been asked for ID to handle a firearm.

41PMF4udY7L._SY300_.jpg

Does "The Rat" know about this? [shocked]

The OP should call The Rat immediately and have him notify Marcia of this violation of non-law! The horrors!

--------------------

And yes, I have been in numerous gun shops and handled guns without being asked for my LTC!

Reactions: AHM
There is no legal requirement for someone to have an LTC or FID to handle firearms at a gun shop. It falls under the "temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm" exception in MGL ch 140 sec 129C. Any shop that does require seeing your LTC/FID before examining a firearm is doing it as a matter of store policy.
Didn't know that. Thank you. I have always been asked. At least in MA and ME.

OP, the folks are trying to, in their own unique ways, tell you.......well, you probably figured it out by now.

No legal requirement, so why even mention it? Some shops require it, others don't. Those that do, do so out of caution.

I can't speak for the OP, but when I read something like what he posted, the first thing I think is "conditioning".

Foxboro store has trigger locks on the handguns. Even if you present a LTC they hand you the firearm with a lock on it.

Hell, last time I was at Bass Pro, they asked for my LTC just to look at the inert samples of pepper spray. And this was after the new law took effect.

Y'know, since I'll be up that way tomorrow anyways, I'm gonna stop at North Shore Firearms in Middleton and see if I get "carded" when I ask to hold one of their displayed guns....

I'll let everyone know how that works out for me....

[wink]

- - - Updated - - -

Who gets their id checked when looking at guns?

Anyone entering the Golden Banana or the Cabaret Lounge, etc

I don't recall ever been asked to show my LTC at a shop until I said "I'll take this one" or when purchasing ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom