• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"No Hunting" towns and P-A act funds?

EMTDAD

NES Member
As I was driving down 117 west toward 495 entering Bolton, there was a sign posted saying "No Hunting in Bolton". I assume this is a town ordinance.

After taking the hunter safety course, I realized how much money hunters and sportsmen funnel into wildlife preservation through the Pittman-Robertson act and state sportsman licenses.

This got me thinking... if a town prohibits hunting, why should they get any State money for any wildlife preservation efforts in the town? After all.. hunters are providing the majority of this money, and will see no actual benefit.

Am I misguided here?

Numerous towns in my area prohibit all shooting within the towns (except at gun clubs) and regularly harasse hunters who dare to go into the woods. Yes, much of their conservation lands were bought with P-A funds, but those controlling the town neither know or care about the illegality of their actions.

As I was driving down 117 west toward 495 entering Bolton, there was a sign posted saying "No Hunting in Bolton". I assume this is a town ordinance.

After taking the hunter safety course, I realized how much money hunters and sportsmen funnel into wildlife preservation through the Pittman-Robertson act and state sportsman licenses.

This got me thinking... if a town prohibits hunting, why should they get any State money for any wildlife preservation efforts in the town? After all.. hunters are providing the majority of this money, and will see no actual benefit.

Am I misguided here?

One of the bigger WMAs in the state is in Bolton. No way that sign is on the up and up.

I see most towns swinging the other way at least with archery hunting. The deer densities are at pretty high levels causing a lot of car wrecks. I think westboro a few years opened up a bunch of land to try and reduce the deer vs car incidents.

One of the bigger WMAs in the state is in Bolton. No way that sign is on the up and up.

from Google Earth Streetview... heading WB on 117 between ET&L Construction and Delaney Rd. Hard to read, but in Red above the Lions sign.
View attachment 209983

I found this also https://ecode360.com/14850125

if I read it correctly.. on private property, you need written consent... On public lands, you need written consent from the town, unless it's state land, then a hunting permit is considered "written consent".

I guess good luck getting "written consent" from the town for town-owned land..

What, exactly do you think that means? That cops can hunt property that citizens cannot?

No. I didn't immediately read it that way. If taken in its entirety you are not allowed to discharge firearms within the town...

maybe I read it wrong but it sounds like if you use a firearm for self defense (civilians and police alike) and obviously cops while performing their duties you would be exempt from this ordinance. Not sure I ever saw any town in mass support self defense with a firearm for other than police....and maybe they didn't here but that's how I read it.

No. I didn't immediately read it that way. If taken in its entirety you are not allowed to discharge firearms within the town...

maybe I read it wrong but it sounds like if you use a firearm for self defense (civilians and police alike) and obviously cops while performing their duties you would be exempt from this ordinance. Not sure I ever saw any town in mass support self defense with a firearm for other than police....and maybe they didn't here but that's how I read it.

They charge you for discharge of a firearm within 500' of a dwelling, even if it is in your own home. Whether the charges stick or not depends on how the competent ($$$) the attorney you hired is in court.

They charge you for discharge of a firearm within 500' of a dwelling, even if it is in your own home. Whether the charges stick or not depends on how the competent ($$$) the attorney you hired is in court.

ok...that makes sense. I knew there had to be a catch or a loophole...

Bolton flats WMA is massive.

Bet the sign is put up by an anti

- - - Updated - - -

from Google Earth Streetview... heading WB on 117 between ET&L Construction and Delaney Rd. Hard to read, but in Red above the Lions sign.
View attachment 209983

I found this also https://ecode360.com/14850125

if I read it correctly.. on private property, you need written consent... On public lands, you need written consent from the town, unless it's state land, then a hunting permit is considered "written consent".

I guess good luck getting "written consent" from the town for town-owned land..

But the state wmas are good to go

ok...that makes sense. I knew there had to be a catch or a loophole...

Not true. You need written permison from the neighbors unless there is a town ordinance preventing the discharge of firearms. But the town ordinance has nothing to do with house of road distance.

Not true. You need written permison from the neighbors unless there is a town ordinance preventing the discharge of firearms. But the town ordinance has nothing to do with house of road distance.

if you think about it logically what you wrote certainly makes sense and that would have been my thought too. But being Mass I think Len could be right.

if you think about it logically what you wrote certainly makes sense and that would have been my thought too. But being Mass I think Len could be right.

It is right. There was a whole course on this at the police academy. Think about it, the person signing the paper is assuming all liability. Most towns have discharge ordinances to get around this.

Back
Top Bottom