• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"No hunting" signs in WMA?

Just got back from scouting at Rocky Gutter WMA in Middleboro. The place was plastered with commercial (not official) no hunting/trespassing signs screwed into trees.

I'm a new hunter so have never seen this before. Is it just PETA types trying to scare people off?

Just got back from scouting at Rocky Gutter WMA in Middleboro. The place was plastered with commercial (not official) no hunting/trespassing signs screwed into trees.

I'm a new hunter so have never seen this before. Is it just PETA types trying to scare people off?
Sounds fishy but......were the signs within 300 feet of homes that border the wma? There are "reverse postings" inside wma land that warn hunters when your getting inside legal shooting distance to homes that abut wma.

You should contact f and g though and ask

Sounds fishy but......were the signs within 300 feet of homes that border the wma? There are "reverse postings" inside wma land that warn hunters when your getting inside legal shooting distance to homes that abut wma.

You should contact f and g though and ask

If they were "official" they should have been 500 feet from occupied buildings.

Every so often this crap happens when a new to the area anti hunter gets a bit "brazen". They need to get slapped back to reality.

A few years ago at crane pond some signs showed up in the parking lots with some little kid writing asking hunters to not harm any animals.....I'm sure they had parental "support" in making and hanging the signs.

Call the epos and send pics.

If they were "official" they should have been 500 feet from occupied buildings.
Typo......it's 500 foot setback yes....big hands.....little phone screen lol

I've been to many wma lands with "safe zone unload" signs posted to let hunters know they are close to houses. But those signs had wma logos on them so they were set there by the state

I’d report this to the epo for sure but if because you’re new and have not used any geo location or Topo maps to determine setbacks and your location then be sure to exercise those resources first beforehand.

This happens way more often than people realize. 9 out of 10 sportsmen will see the signs and turn around. They do this to reduce pressure or access to areas they want for themselves. I personally have seen it 1/2 a dozen times or so.

I use ONX maps for the property lines that tells me where the REAL property lines are and I hunt based on what I know is right.

People have gone as far as gating off a WMA to reduce traffic and access to the WMA.

I’m not sure if Burrage Pond WMA ever got access restored.

Homeowners close off Elm Street access point to Burrage Pond (WMA)

Enough is enough for the Kasmareks. Chris Kasmarek has been living beside Burrage Pond on Elm Street since 1991. Back in 2002 the land surrounding the pond was sold from the Northland Cranberry Co. and put into conservation by the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife. In the beginning, the access point to the Burrage Pond Wildlife Management Area was mainly used by neighbors and others who wanted to enjoy the wildlife with their pets and children. Since 2005, when the bar gate to the access road disappeared, he says the family’s quality of life has suffered with dozens of cars accessing the site at all hours of the night leaving behind trash, animal feces, empty liquor bottles and other unsanitary items.

Enough is enough for the Kasmareks.

Chris Kasmarek has been living beside Burrage Pond on Elm Street since 1991. Back in 2002 the land surrounding the pond was sold from the Northland Cranberry Co. and put into conservation by the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife. In the beginning, the access point to the Burrage Pond Wildlife Management Area was mainly used by neighbors and others who wanted to enjoy the wildlife with their pets and children. Since 2005, when the bar gate to the access road disappeared, he says the family’s quality of life has suffered with dozens of cars accessing the site at all hours of the night leaving behind trash, animal feces, empty liquor bottles and other unsanitary items.

“First it was a couple cars late at night out back,” Kasmarek said. “But then people realized there was a place they could go and hang out in the middle of nowhere with nobody to police it.”

Kasmarek said that since 2005, especially in the last two years, the conserved area has become a frequently used location for people looking for some place to party, conduct transactions, or do drugs out of sight. He said he has called the police to report cars zooming down the road in the middle of the night but the police have not been able to get there before the people left.

There have also been a few burglaries in the area, one to his home (a go-kart was stolen) and a few to neighbors’ homes and he believes the unsupervised area is contributing to it by giving people a place to safely case out homes. He said that the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife has issued no restrictions for access to the site and will not monitor any activity.

“I don’t know what the WMA (wildlife management area) is up to,” he said. “It would be one thing if they policed this; they have no ability to do so. What if somebody came along one day and used your driveway to put a parking lot in the back of your house and open it up 24/7 to whoever wanted to come. How would you like it?”

Homeowners close off Elm Street access point to Burrage Pond

My yard borders a WMA. Ppl drive right along the boarder then cut through my driveway. It sucks. I want to hate the street and of my driveway, but at that point ppl will just have to turn around and drive back down my driveway again. I love it when trees fall down and block the dirt rd. I'm a hunter. But some hunters need to respect other ppls property.

Call MassWildlife. If you have pix, send them pix.

This, they will immediatly send soneone down to remove them and post WMA signage. Someone did the same thing to Haskell Swamp in Rochester. I reported it. MAss Wildlife had someone down there in 2 days tearing down the illegal signage and posting WMA signage.

I've got a WMA near me, which was a recent acquisition. I found some of the WMA signs had been replaced with No Trespassing signs.

Had that happen to a spot I turkey hunt. State land with markers and paint all along the property border, one day someone put no trespassing signs as well as large rocks all along the road anywhere people were parking. An EPO responded immediately to take down the signs and investigate. Theory was that a neighbor we've run into before did it to try and keep everyone out of "his" spot, never found out the outcome of the investigation but the state did move the rocks by the time the next season came around.

If a property is close to a house on a WMA, the state will post signs saying Saftey Zone, which is basically telling you if you discharge beyond a that point, you will be in violation of the 500 foot rule.

They NEVER post regular posted signs. Its usally another hunter that does that, a close landowner who hates hunting, or an anti.

People post land out by me all the time, usually its hunters wanting to keep a secret spot. Since I always ask permission I've caught two hunters doing shit like this. I gained permission had been hunting for years, and asked why the land had become posted. In both cases the landowners who werent local to the area, had no idea what i was talking about. One landowner told me to tear down the signs and I did.

The other landowner told me to leave them up, and put his name and address on them, so it would be legal and I would have the only access. Well I met a guy on that spot one day, and he started in on me about hunting on HIS, posted land. It was very funny when I pulled out my phone with a pic of the offenders license plate and said " should we call the real landowner right now? I know him personally, as I asked permission ten years ago and have been hunting here for years?" He's not to happy about you posting HIS land.

I told the a**h***, if I ever see his truck there again, I will send his license plate to the landowner who will prosecute him for trespassing. The guy just beat feat outta there as fast as he could, never saw him again.

Last edited:
My yard borders a WMA. Ppl drive right along the boarder then cut through my driveway. It sucks. I want to hate the street and of my driveway, but at that point ppl will just have to turn around and drive back down my driveway again. I love it when trees fall down and block the dirt rd. I'm a hunter. But some hunters need to respect other ppls property.

You should post your property so people know unless there is an easement that allows access thru your property, then its tough luck.

You should post your property so people know unless there is an easement that allows access thru your property, then its tough luck.
There is a dirt rd that boarders my property and the WMA. I own halfway through it. I assumed there is an easement. My driveway connects that dirt rd to the paved neighborhood, there is no easement. It should be obvious that your not supposed to drive it. I could post just the driveway but it would be impractical and likely not stop anymore. But a gate would.

years ago someone posted a local wma in sutton, and i contacted the MFW and they had the signs down within a couple days. turns out it was someone who bought the adjacent horse farm, and used the trails for riding his horses, and thought he could get away with it.

On X hunt is your friend. Southen NH is plastered with posted signs that shouldnt be there on town lands etc.

I dont even pay attention to them anymore. If I know its huntable state or town land on X hunt. Im hunting it.

On X hunt is your friend. Southen NH is plastered with posted signs that shouldnt be there on town lands etc.

I dont even pay attention to them anymore. If I know its huntable state or town land on X hunt. Im hunting it.

OnX Hunt has a 50% discount for veterans as well just incase you don’t know and you qualify.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom