• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No Gunsmith work on AR's

Knob Creek

NES Member
I was at a Gunsmith this week. A customer came in with a AR that needed repair. The Smith looked it over but refused to take it in. His reason was based on his understanding from the AG was he could take it in, repair it but would be in violation if he returned it to the customer. Is this where we are now?

I was at a Gunsmith this week. A customer came in with a AR that needed repair. The Smith looked it over but refused to take it in. His reason was based on his understanding from the AG was he could take it in, repair it but would be in violation if he returned it to the customer. Is this where we are now?

Goal mentioned this on their January podcast, but I have heard nothing of the sort otherwise.

First I'm hearing of a smith refusing to work on an AR. Since no transfer is going on, I don't see how doing work on it could possibly get him in trouble, but who the hell knows what her highness will reinterpret next.

Really? So is that why every time I hand an AR to someone and get it back I feel like such a criminal?

Your south coast location is scaring me. Who is it?

To be fair FFLs and gunsmiths were making up laws in MA pre-7/20 as well.
This.. people listing there pre7/20 garbage as preban frustrates me more....
prepreban, preban, pre 1998, pre Healey. Thats how it is in CA when they roll a new ban out ever couple years.

As far as gunsmiths and ARs.. working on an ar doesnt make you a gunsmith.
There is nothing on a BASIC AR that require profession work.the platform is equivalent to a 6 year old with legos.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't trust this gunsmith to work on my firearms, seeing as he is most likely partially retarded.

Either then gunsmith is being lazy or he's just listening to shit he heard on the trap range.

Either way, he doesn't want your business, go somewhere else.

So THIS is why we make fun of Fudd's...

Aside from the usual NES morbid curiosity and busy-body routine, OP should definitely out the gunsmith so that nobody else wastes their time. I see no harm to the shop as they obviously don't want any black rifle business.

Name or it didn't happen. [wink]

Really? So is that why every time I hand an AR to someone and get it back I feel like such a criminal?

Your south coast location is scaring me. Who is it?
By law the Smith has to log it into his bound book when he takes it in and back out.
Despite what some may say I can't really blame him since the AG is drawing up laws on a blackboard.

Last edited:
Name or it didn't happen.
i wouldn't out the guy. we on nes love a good feeding frenzy and lick our chops at the thought of ruining another gun related business. because he's misinformed it's not a good enough reason to beat him into submission on a public forum.

By law the Smith has to log it into his bound book when he takes it in and back out.
Despite what some may say I can't really blame him since the AG is drawing up laws on a blackboard.

No he doesn't.

27 CFR § 478.124 Firearms transaction record.
(a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.

The AG has said ownership of a rifle can't be transferred through an FFL. No where is it stated that a person can't submit their personal property for repair/modifications. When the Gunsmith returns the firearm to the owner is there a 4473 or FA10 filled out? No, because it's not a transfer/change of ownership.

i wouldn't out the guy. we on nes love a good feeding frenzy and lick our chops at the thought of ruining another gun related business. because he's misinformed it's not a good enough reason to beat him into submission on a public forum.

then why bring it up

I had a large supplier on Gunbroker refuse to sell and ship an upper to MA. Their source of the upper said that this was nonsense and would call them, but they still refused.

Why? I'd say because he's uninformed. Do you really think telling who it is would hurt business? I have 2 guys I use and if it was one of em, I'd still use them. I'd ask them wtf they were thinking but i'd use em, because they're good. As someone else mentioned, i can't imagine need a smith for an AR in the first place. Just swap out what ain't workin,

[bs2] Why would gunsmiths service, repair , and upgrade my CZ pistols that are not on the authorized list and refuse to service my AR?

Why? To attempt to destroy his business? He has been in business for over 35 years. Who can blame him for being careful with the AG making rules up As she goes along. Let me remind you most of us are Felons in waiting because of her.
Become a member and get some skin in the game.

Yea! It's not like the guy did something wrong.He like the rest of all the FFL's,and gun owners in MA. are in fear of what Stalin's Bitch is going to do next.

The AG has said ownership of a rifle can't be transferred through an FFL. No where is it stated that a person can't submit their personal property for repair/modifications. When the Gunsmith returns the firearm to the owner is there a 4473 or FA10 filled out? No, because it's not a transfer/change of ownership.
Seems like common sense.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

What about adjusting sights on a <gulp> off-books Glock pistol without an LCI! The...horror!

smith is a Class "A" FUDD

too bad the guy wasn't an NES member, could've spent the afternoon over another members house meeting someone new and fixing whatever issue plagued him…for free. unless he so graciously brought beer. cause yum, beer[smile]

This makes no sense, he was either misinformed or blowing smoke. Logging a gun in and out of a book as a repair has nothing to do with the AGs garbage.

-Mike

This makes no sense, he was either misinformed or blowing smoke. Logging a gun in and out of a book as a repair has nothing to do with the AGs garbage.

-Mike

Hypothetical situation: smith logs AR into his books, does work, calls customer to pick it up. Something happens to the customer where they cannot pick the firearm up. Customer sends wife. Smith has to 4473 the AR to the wife along with background check. This would put him in violation of BS, would it not?

Back
Top Bottom