• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No guns at Cabelas tonight

Mark from MA

NES Member
Well was on my way by for work so decided to stop in. Overheard several people trying to buy guns that they had to come back because the AFT website portal was shut down.

Never heard of such a thing. Cant buy a gun today. Come back tomorrow.

Wtf. Has anyone run across this before?

Well was on my way by for work so decided to stop in. Overheard several people trying to buy guns that they had to come back because the AFT website portal was shut down.

yes, sometimes the whole thing shuts down although if the call line is open they can still do bg checks but they probably too lazy to do it that way

Almost 200K gun sales (background checks) on Black Friday alone.
Someone said “oh shit these MF’s mean business!” lol and dumped their coffee on the floppy disc holder thing.

Not surprised. I know the state agency I work for, had their online system down for a bit yesterday.

I smell an Epic Black Market in the very near future...

1669953942928.png

Oh god. No. Im sure there is no protocol for anything but the norm at that place.

Buying a gun there is full retard already.
Black Friday I had no intentions of buying a gun at cabelas.....my son had a gift card and we were driving by it to go visit my brothers family......saw that rusty a5 magnum for $149 and decided I should buy it and try my hand at a refurb project. What a f***ing nightmare buying it. Deli ticket I got was 97 they were on number 84. Fml. Filled put the 4473 on their laptop which was actually easy......but they have this crazy process where they have to have a supervisor come double check the sn on the gun and the form accuracy 3 times during the process. Jesus christ I get a little quality control but ffs 3 times? Even after the deal was done and the proceeds came back he had to call the supervisor again to check the sn and the 4473 before they could hand the gun to me.

Black Friday I had no intentions of buying a gun at cabelas.....my son had a gift card and we were driving by it to go visit my brothers family......saw that rusty a5 magnum for $149 and decided I should buy it and try my hand at a refurb project. What a f***ing nightmare buying it. Deli ticket I got was 97 they were on number 84. Fml. Filled put the 4473 on their laptop which was actually easy......but they have this crazy process where they have to have a supervisor come double check the sn on the gun and the form accuracy 3 times during the process. Jesus christ I get a little quality control but ffs 3 times? Even after the deal was done and the proceeds came back he had to call the supervisor again to check the sn and the 4473 before they could hand the gun to me.

This is because getting dinged on your audit sucks. And for high volume Box Store type retard operations the risk rate for errors is going to increase exponentially.....

Actually that's about the least insane thing I've ever heard happening at a box store..... 🤣

That said you could tell me I won a $1000 gun at a box store I would tell whoever the person was to just give the prize to somebody else (or better yet, give me 1000 in ammo instead) cuz there's no f****** way I'm putting myself through that kind of torture. Maybe for 2 grand or more but otherwise it's not worth reducing myself to that.

I keep telling people to stop supporting these big chain stores.
You should be supporting the Mon & Pop stores, that will be
there when you need a special item,order a certain gun,repair
your gun,and do transfers. Look what Dick,s did. HaHa I said Dick.

Yup. This is the process. Triple check the numbers 7 times and your a**h*** 18 times.....Good to go.

I went thru it once because I wanted a Sporting Clays 101 gun that Winchester only made for Cabelas. So I had to buy it there. I also had a bunch of old point money on my CC which made it a great deal. But the pain of that transaction and the hours it took was horrible and something I will never likely repeat.

I cant even imagine a Black Friday there....you'd have to take the whole day off just about to buy a gun.

Once and a while you find a gun that might be worth the trouble they mispriced. I found a Winchester 1894 like that yesterday Pre 64 32 special in great condition for $379.00 It was in the case and of course no one was in the library to help. I grabbed someone behind the gun counter and when I did this older gentleman had said he already called someone over for that but no one showed up. I ended up giving the sale to the older guy......pissed me off....but when they said they'd have to come back to do the transaction anyway, I said....you can have it.

If someone was in the gun library to help, I would likely have that gun by now.....but whatever. At least the guy shook my hand for being honest that he was actually there first and just couldn't get help, and letting him take it the gun. He's lucky he ran into me and not some other Ahole who would have just grabbed it in front of him.

That said....I did not have to go thru the pain of the sale.

Last edited:
because the AFT website portal was shut down.

Tell then to try using the ATF portal next time.

Yup. This is the process. Triple check the numbers 7 times and your a**h*** 18 times.....Good to go.

I went thru it once because I wanted a Sporting Clays 101 gun that Winchester only made for Cabelas. So I had to buy it there. I also had a bunch of old point money on my CC which made it a great deal. But the pain of that transaction and the hours it took was horrible and something I will never likely repeat.

I cant even imagine a Black Friday there....you'd have to take the whole day off just about to buy a gun.

Once and a while you find a gun that might be worth the trouble they mispriced. I found a Winchester 1894 like that yesterday Pre 64 32 special in great condition for $379.00 It was in the case and of course no one was in the library to help. I grabbed someone behind the gun counter and when I did this older gentleman had said he already called someone over for that but no one showed up. I ended up giving the sale to the older guy......pissed me off....but when they said they'd have to come back to do the transaction anyway, I said....you can have it.

If someone was in the gun library to help, I would likely have that gun by now.....but whatever. At least the guy shook my hand for being honest that he was actually there first and just couldn't get help, and letting him take it the gun. He's lucky he ran into me and not some other Ahole who would have just grabbed it in front of him.

That said....I did not have to go thru the pain of the sale.
Yeah a pre 64 for $379 would be worth the hassle. I thought the a5 magnum for $149 was worth the wait at the time but now I'm not so sure. Took 3 hours from the time I grabbed it till I walked out. But.....my ring kit and spring delivers today and I'll take it to the club tomorrow and try a round of trap with it. 30 inch barrel full choke on that heavy old gun I bet it'll do well. I'm sure the rusty condition will attract some attention of the trapezoids lol

Yes, it happened at my local gun store when I they did a transfer of my directly purchased PCC.

I bought one gun at cabelas. I think it took over an hour and a half, and there was only two people ahead of me. Never again. I don't care if the gun was free, still wouldn't go.

Back
Top Bottom