No gun-selling license? Not a problem

Wow:

"Shawano Gun and Loan sold guns to relatives of people who had just failed background checks at the store, ATF records show. In at least five cases, family members - who live with the prohibited person - bought the gun shortly after the rejection, sometimes the same day. In three other cases, the buyer admitted on forms they were buying the gun for someone else. They were sold the gun anyway."

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/95704794.html

/John

Sounded to me like a slanted article from people who don't know federal law or gun shop operation trying to pretend they do. But what do I know [wink]

The Story: Commoners might be buying and selling property without government approval. Won't someone save the children???

Reality: The ATF is crawling up every orifice it can find and the place is still open.

Note the sidebar to the story:

The Journal Sentinel for two years has investigated how Congress has created special rules for gun stores that protect even the biggest sellers of guns to criminals. Read the series

Good thing they're not taking sides or anything...[rolleyes]

Either the dealer is unrepentant knuckleheads when it comes to compliance or the news droids and the ATF are embellishing things a little bit. Probably both, especially the latter.

The gun shops I deal with in this part of the country would do nothing of the kind.... if you get denied in their store, you (and anyone with you) are not walking out of the store with a gun. One denial I witnessed in person, at a shop that shall remain nameless.... Some guy from eastern europe (I gathered this from the conversation he made with the shop staffer) was trying to buy a rifle, he got denied, for whatever reason. He wanted to then just give the rifle to his nephew who was with him, and have him do a new 4473... shop manager said "No, sorry.... I can write you a check, and he can come back next week on his own, if he wants. "

-Mike

I don't see what all the showboating is all about with "stings" and stories like this. Did the dealer commit a crime? Yes? => he gets punished. End of story.

For me, its interesting. I mean, did they actually think that they were going to get away with it? Especcially with BATFE just itching to make arrests!

For them (the media) its a story that makes gun people look bad, thats enough for them.

/John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom