• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No "former Marines"; only Marines

Reptile

NES Member
I was hoping some Marines could shed some light on this...

Up until recently, it was ok to call a person who served in the Marines a "former Marine".

I know that "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" is a known saying.

They way I understood it is that calling a person a "former Marine" was ok and it meant that they are no longer serving.

Of course there is no such thing as an "Ex-Marine"- unless as some say, he was dishonorably discharged.

Here is my question though...

I heard that the Commandant of the Marine Corps came forth with an edict (if that is the right word) that there is now no such thing as a "former Marine".

The saying "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" is now the official rule.

All people who are or have served in the USMC are to be referred to as Marines.

If this is true, please let me know of this recent official rule.

If possible, could you site an article so I can read about this more.

I did a search on google but I could not find any references.

---

Edit: did some more searching...

http://blog.medalsofamerica.com/only-marines-former-marines-2/

"Attention Marines! It is now official, “There’s no such thing as a former Marine.” Which, is really kind of cool when you think about it.

From Commandant, General James F. Amos (via The Seahorse): “A Marine is a Marine. I set the policy two weeks ago – there’s no such thing as a former Marine. You’re a Marine, just in a different uniform and you’re in a different phase of your life. But you’ll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico.”

We at Medals of America strongly believe in honoring all of our Marines, both past and present. We have always held the utmost respect for these strong men and women, and are proud to offer our nation’s heroes a selection of Marine Corps medals and military badges to wear, displaying their duty and honor to our country. Likewise, we are excited to hear others refer to these soldiers simply as “Marines” without deeming it necessary to include the words “former” or “retired”. We agree with Commandant, General James F. Amos that once you are a Marine, you will always be a Marine. No matter what clothes you wear or what job you do, you will always be a part of that elite military brotherhood."

http://blog.medalsofamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/New-Terminology.jpg

Last edited:
Ah Marines, I love them and I hate them. My brother was (or "is", I guess) one, their infantry, armor, Recon, and ANGLiCo units are hard core; but, you just can't get their POGs to stop running their mouths sometimes.

Yes, the Commandant did make this official. I think most of us will not give anyone a hard time if they still use the phrase "former", but we will not respond kindly to the prefix "ex". I have honorable discharges from both the Army and the Marine Corps, but you can tell from my sig what I consider myself to be.

My family history:

Older brother - 6 years as a Marine...will always be a "Marine".
Middle brother - 4 years in the Army...will always be "Airborne".
Me - 6 years in the Navy...will always be "submarine qualified".

When you spend time proudly serving your country...it becomes part of your life.

I refer to myself as a former Marine. I acknowledge the once a Marine always a Marine. But lets just say I did not enjoy my time in, so I grant myself that level of separation because I can call myself whatever I want.

My family history:

Older brother - 6 years as a Marine...will always be a "Marine".
Middle brother - 4 years in the Army...will always be "Airborne".
Me - 6 years in the Navy...will always be "submarine qualified".

When you spend time proudly serving your country...it becomes part of your life.
Indeed. My baby brother 18 years younger than I, went Navy. Works as a Nuke engineer. Evidently the family tree got smarter as time wore on.

Ah Marines, I love them and I hate them. My brother was (or "is", I guess) one, their infantry, armor, Recon, and ANGLiCo units are hard core; but, you just can't get their POGs to stop running their mouths sometimes.

True story. I feel like I can definitely identify with army grunts or pretty much any other combat arms position from any branch before MOST pogs. Granted my fiance is Marine motor-t and has seen more combat than I have, but generally speaking...

Mike

I served in the Marines from '01 to '06 and if anybody ever asks me what branch I was in I always state, "I'm a Marine."
"former", to me always seems too much like "ex". The Marines shaped me into the man I am today and you don't give it back when you get out.

I would expect any other service to do the same. I work with people that served in other branches and you can tell that we all hang on to what we've grown accustomed to. The "former" Navy guy in my shop still shines his boots everyday. Crazy? or Navy.

well it depends on where the particular marine was born. i mean what the hell is a california marine anyway? those pi leathernecks on the other hand........

[smile]

well it depends on where the particular marine was born. i mean what the hell is a california marine anyway? those pi leathernecks on the other hand........

[smile]

Oh you mean the P.I. Marines who train with 4th battalion? There is a reason why they send the women to Parris Island.

Yea going to a padres game at the end of boot camp must be tough... I honestly wanted to go to/was happy I went to PI just because of the "lore" of it. In a really weird sense it was kind of cool.

Mike

Yea going to a padres game at the end of boot camp must be tough... I honestly wanted to go to/was happy I went to PI just because of the "lore" of it. In a really weird sense it was kind of cool.

Mike

Padres game? Really? Hang with the hot WM's dude.

I honestly wanted to go to/was happy I went to PI just because of the "lore" of it.

Did you know that San Diego has been a recruit depot longer than Parris Island?

You will never hear me belittle the San Diego Marines.

I look at it the same way as I do inter-service rivalry. Everybody is proud of where they served (or were "born"), but it's fun to give a little good-natured ribbing from time to time.

If you know where a person enlisted, you've got a pretty good indicator of where they went to boot camp. Or in the case of gender, its a no-brainer.

Once I know where they are from, I'll ask one of the following questions:

Did you go to boot camp or Parris Island?

Did you go to boot camp or San Diego?

[laugh]

I know for me, the smell of salt flats, or the sight of Spanish moss instantly brings back thoughts of Parris Island.

Any of the San Diego alumni care to comment about sensory recollections?

Any of the San Diego alumni care to comment about sensory recollections?

I don't know the name of the plant that makes Camp Pendleton smell the way it does but when I smell it I think of Edson Range and humping up the grim reaper.
Lying in my sleeping bag and seeing headlights on Interstate 5 knowing every single car was either going to Taco Bell or McDonalds and I already polished off my MRE for the night. [grin]

Oh you mean the P.I. Marines who train with 4th battalion? There is a reason why they send the women to Parris Island.

Hey man, we had sand fleas. Those things were brutal.

I spent my first fleet year on Pendleton (Las Pulgas)which was 1995-96. We ran Heartbreak Ridge once a week, usually on Monday mornings. The hills there are no joke. On Sunday, my platoon and I would meet at Edson Range for their top notch breakfast. For those who dont know Edson Range, it's where San Diego recruits go for rifle qualification. You walk into that chow hall and recruits are jumping out of your way, calling you "Sir" moving aside so you can get your utensils, etc... The Drill Instructors would get a kick out of it. Good times there..

Hey man, we had sand fleas. Those things were brutal.

Yeah they are. When I was in third phase, I got volunteered for a work party. We were on the other side of the island, over by the Drill Instructor school. Along comes this truck, spraying insecticide to control the sand fleas and mosquitoes on that side of the island, and I thought " Those Sons of Bitches". [laugh]

I wasn't at PI for sand flea season but I ended up in the hospital for fire amt bites on my legs, that was brutal. I found PI oddly beautiful.

I know exactly what you are talking about RE that Pendleton smell.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Some of my Marine friends go back over forty years........learned many years ago never to call them "ex" or "former" Marines!
Yes, my brother - who has not seen his feet for many years - is the same way.

As long as they only eat the legs at cookouts, no worries.[laugh]

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken Heartbreak Ridge is out towards the coast Right around Camp Las Pulgas.

You're right. It was two hills next to my barracks. There was an old F4 Phantom near the bottom of the hill that we used to have Crew Serve
weapon shoots at. You had to be careful where you stepped because occasionally, you would hear rattlesnakes when walking up the path. No jungle boots, just caddys

You're right. It was two hills next to my barracks. There was an old F4 Phantom near the bottom of the hill that we used to have Crew Serve
weapon shoots at. You had to be careful where you stepped because occasionally, you would hear rattlesnakes when walking up the path. No jungle boots, just caddys

Place was beaming with rattlesnakes. I had one encounter while climbing a very steep hill. It was so steep I was using my hands to climb so my face was close to the ground. I came up to what appeared to be a basketball sized hole only to see a good sized rattler curled up and shaking his tail about 3' feet from my face. I pushed back with my hands and fell about 100' feet down the hill, walked 50 yards to the right and continued up. [grin]

The smaller snakes used to come on to the pistol range pavement in the morning to warm up, we'd always see a handful of them every morning.

I accidently stepped on a baby rattlesnake by the px parking lot near the football field on margarita. No shortage of those things out there.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I never had any snake issues, but in Yuma I did shake big yellow scorpions out of my boots on more than one occasion. We had sidewinders and rattlers too but they never really bothered us.

We had more problems with illegal Mexicans walking through our shoots. And one unfortunate incident with a pack of wild horses while at White Sands....

00204363.jpg

That was pretty much it. Hawk missiles are designed to explode in front of a jet and create a field of shrapnel that gets sucked into intakes. This one failed and self destructed over the ground....

Allegedly, Camp Lejeune is the habitat for rattlesnakes, cotton mouths and coral snakes.

I saw a few of the cotton mouths, but never any of the others. We did have a cotton mouth make an appearance in the middle of a foot patrol - needless to say the noise discipline and formation took a turn for the worse!

We had more trouble with the bees, ticks, and chiggers.

Back
Top Bottom