No Fly Lists Ruled Unconstitutional

I wonder if this is engineered in some way, say they add due process to the list. Now there will be zero objections to the No Fly/No Gun list.

Currently, what happens when somebody on the list tries to fly? Are they arrested on the spot or just denied a flight and sent on their way?

Currently, what happens when somebody on the list tries to fly? Are they arrested on the spot or just denied a flight and sent on their way?

Denied boarding. You can actually still buy the tickets, you just won't be let through security.

I fully expect this will be overturned by SCOTUS and the NFL will remain. The idea NFL was even created is a sign this country needs to end and a new one needs to be created.

arrested? of course not. didn't king Obama refer to the people on the NFL as "very dangerous"? so why arrest or charge them? that's too difficult. have to collect evidence and actually make a case against them.

much easier to just deny rights and call them "dangerous". i'm pretty sure all tyrants throughout history have done the same to select groups.

I wonder if this is engineered in some way, say they add due process to the list. Now there will be zero objections to the No Fly/No Gun list.

Some bozo adds you to the list for some inane reason and suddenly you will have to spend $100k to clear your name. If you prevail you get your name back but no way to sue the person who put you there. That still doesn't sound like due process to me.

Some bozo adds you to the list for some inane reason and suddenly you will have to spend $100k to clear your name. If you prevail you get your name back but no way to sue the person who put you there. That still doesn't sound like due process to me.
It's also not due process unless you have the right to see all evidence used against you; have your inclusion tried before an impartial finder of fact; confront any witness against you; have heresay evidence excluded; and compel persons to testify under oath on your behalf via subpoena.

It's also not due process unless you have the right to see all evidence used against you; have your inclusion tried before an impartial finder of fact; confront any witness against you; have heresay evidence excluded; and compel persons to testify under oath on your behalf via subpoena.

exactly this. This is what Ive been telling my anti-gun friends who love the quip "no fly, no buy". They keep spouting that if it slows someone down, then its good enough. TO which I bring up two points:

1, slowing down is not stopping, so if you are saying you want to stop this violence, then you are lying if you really just want to "slow it down".
2. go ahead and remove due process from everything else, since you don't want to use it here, see how you enjoy it! I push that extra hard on the people who think that "the government would never turn on the people" or "who cares about that, we need to do something now! anything!"

Have I mentioned how much I loathe the typical american and their lack of understanding around the systems in place and their purpose??

Welcome to 2016 people, where this decision from 2014 clearly had an impact on the no fly list ballooning from 20k to 100k people.

The links from 2014?

Welcome to 2016 people, where this decision from 2014 clearly had an impact on the no fly list ballooning from 20k to 100k people.

which is another great point to throw at people who think its ok. In two years, it has ballooned in numbers, despite it being declared unconstitutional. Next time someone tells you the government is working for you, and is protecting you, bring that up. How are they working for you if they ignore people in their own judicial system?

"who cares about that, we need to do something now! anything!"
They should have no problem with doing away with trials for OUI suspects, and allow the police to revoke their drivers license without trial and based on whatever secret evidence the police feel appropriate.

which is another great point to throw at people who think its ok. In two years, it has ballooned in numbers, despite it being declared unconstitutional. Next time someone tells you the government is working for you, and is protecting you, bring that up. How are they working for you if they ignore people in their own judicial system?

I don't have time to look it up but was his ruling overturned?

I was talking with another pro-2A person last week at a party. I didn't realize what his name was but when we talked about the no-fly list I said "what if your name is Bob Smith?" (common name, guaranteed to have a number of Bob Smiths with convictions, etc.)! Well Bob Smith is indeed his name and he was on the no fly list . . . they had to vet him by middle name and other data before they'd let him thru.

People lose sight of the fact that if you have a common name, you are on the no-fly or PP list by mistaken identity. It's a hassle the innocent person shouldn't have to go thru.

[rofl][rofl] Due process. Silly rabbit, due process is colonial times!

In all seriousness, don't forget how many Dems staged a sit-in on the House floor last essentially PROTESTING DUE PROCESS!!

Not sure that due process even exists these days.

Yes and no ... Out of the 13 plaintiffs on the case, 7 were taken off the no-fly list and the rest got confirmation that they were on the list and given a way to appeal it.

ACLU Press Release: October 2014

Reto

"a way to appeal it" is no guarantee that even if you can prove 100% you shouldn't be on there, that you can get yourself off. I don't now why people trust our government with this kind of shit. Our founding documents may not have foreseen this exact circumstance, but they sure as hell foresaw the underlying problems the government could create!

It sounds like they didn't deem the list unconstitutional, they deemed the inability to be removed from the list unconstitutional. It's still a CF, still a .gov secret(ish) list and should not exist.

much easier to just deny rights and call them "dangerous". i'm pretty sure all tyrants throughout history have done the same to select groups.

The creator of the no fly list would just like to say...

attachment.php

Attachments

• fb5f71a960499d3e6116add9a7f65b2b2cf99a96426d13af1fd3f9970e3279e9.jpg
    fb5f71a960499d3e6116add9a7f65b2b2cf99a96426d13af1fd3f9970e3279e9.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 215
I fully expect this will be overturned by SCOTUS and the NFL will remain. The idea NFL was even created is a sign this country needs to end and a new one needs to be created.

Perhaps, but I don't think it will look they way you hope it looks.

Denied boarding. You can actually still buy the tickets, you just won't be let through security.

The NFL makes billions of dollars of course it will remain...

Sorry, can't help myself... [rofl]

In all seriousness, though, I agree that the end game, whatever it is, will end up ****ing the citizen.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

And republicans all loved it and supported him doing it.

Yup, they swaddle the patriot act and all that bullshit in the interest of wanting to FEEL SAFE AND WARMY.

Gubbermint is a pacifier for the masses, except most people won't ever admit to being that stupid.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds like these no-fly lists are static, i.e. it's a bunch of first/last name combos, not passport id or SS# (not that those are available in little Brazil for a few pesos) Would changing your name simply defeat the procedure? ... or better yet, change your name to Bill Clinton [puke2]?

Actually, a related question, what does legally changing your name would entail, any chance to get off PP list or SO list or have your record of firearm ownership be gone in the police records? My bet is all of the above.

Back
Top Bottom