No Fee License Renewal Over the Age of 70?

aeromarine

NES Member
My 70th birthday is coming up and it is coincident with the expiration date on my license. Should I be eligible for a free license or will the new issue date likely be the same as my current expiration date, thus, making me age 70 at the time of renewal and therefore not "over" 70? Has anyone had experience with this?

What would be the implications if I delayed applying for renewal until after my birthday? Is there still such a thing as a "grace" period or did that disappear with the new law? Also, how long is the license processing time these days, has it improved any in recent years? Any helpful input would be appreciated. Thanks!

As I stated in the above quoted thread, you are supposed to get that benefit if the new LTC starts on your 70th birthday. However, many PDs won't honor that. Michaela told me that if a PD inquires of her office, she tells them to put it thru as free. So you can be prepared to tell the PD to contact the FRB Director if they have any question. BTDT

If you file after your birthday you lose the infinite grace period and ability to buy/sell during that period. You do get a 90 day grace period (usually inadequate) however but can't buy/sell anything.

This is great! Thank you for ferreting it out!
I knew I'd seen the issue covered, but I was shocked, shocked I tell you
that my first successful search (after 4-5 dry holes) only had one winner.

And I thought the answer was "you're screwed, but beg the police for a freebie".
But that's not just simplistic but wrong.

So I was doubly glad to just cite the thread, because it was more complex
than I remembered. (And Len shows even more twists in reply #4 than I
gleaned from the old thread, for which I'm even more grateful).

You also deserve props for asking in the Massachusetts Laws subforum.

If only that linked thread had been started here (where it belongs).

I ran into this exact situation where I was told "too bad, so sad" cough up the dough. So I spoke with Michaela and then had the PD contact her. It ended well, my first and only freebee from the Commiewealth!

The "over 70" does not seem to apply to the Green Card unless they like you. They like me. Jack.
I haven't looked for that but think it is in the same section of law so that it should apply. NRs don't, that I know, so my benefit runs out in a few months when I do the final move.

I haven't looked for that but think it is in the same section of law so that it should apply. NRs don't, that I know, so my benefit runs out in a few months when I do the final move.
As usual, depends on the town. Here in Acton everything is free over 70. In Littleton they even did state dealer for me for free till the "new administration " got pissed at me for bringing lots of new small businesses to town (FFLs) and searched and found a way to stick "something" up my ass. Jack.

I started this thread. Thanks for all the great input! I submitted the application two weeks ago to my local PD and indicated in the cover letter it was my understanding that I was eligible for a free license because my 70th birthday fell on the current license expiration date. I have since completed the renewal interview with the licensing sergeant and the subject of a license fee never came up. So I got the definitive answer to my question. Again, thank you all for your thoughtful input!

... I submitted the application two weeks ago to my local PD and indicated in the cover letter it was my understanding that I was eligible for a free license because my 70th birthday fell on the current license expiration date. I have since completed the renewal interview with the licensing sergeant and the subject of a license fee never came up. So I got the definitive answer to my question. ...
Were you given a hardcopy MIRCS receipt?

It's not a receipt for payment -
it's legal proof that the PD has initiated the renewal process
by logging your application with the state.

And it's your temporary license if your existing LTC expires
before they give you the new one.

Yes, I was given the receipt by the licensing officer. My current license won't expire for another 60 days but it's good to know I'll be covered should the new issue not arrive by then. It will be interesting to see how along it takes to process given the long delays we have seen in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom