No deer today but....

peterk123

NES Member
Almost had a turkey. 20 of them walking single file, just not past my tree. The day was not completely lost though as I spotted some oyster mushrooms from my stand. Will go good with the wild turkey sausage I was whipping up; made from the turkey my son in law got on saturday with the bow.

shrooms.jpg

sausage.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I got to a WMA a little after 6am today to do some squirrel hunting. Got out of my truck in the dirt parking area and stepped in a pile of shit! Apparently someone couldn't hold it, but also couldn't be decent and go to the side to relieve themselves (yes, it was definitely human). Spent some time trying to get as much off with a stick, dirt, water etc. Went out and a couple hours into it, got a squirrel. Went to gut it and proceeded to cut my finger on my freshly sharpened knife. I had some nitrile gloves, so at least a fellow hunter wouldn't have to follow an errant blood trail. Honestly, just about any day in the woods alone is a good day, although I could've done without the shit!

PS A deer walked down through the woods and crossed the trail about 20 yards in front of me. I got off to the side and watched him hang out for about five minutes eating. Every once in a while he'd look over at me, then go back about his business before walking off. I'm now looking into compound bows 😁

Hmmm...we should swap places.... I saw 2 deer in the first 10 minutes into the woods this morning while turkey hunting! ;)

...but now I have a spot for deer/shotgun! :)

How do you hunt for turkey during the fall? They seem to be all grouped up, Toms and hens, and just walk around all day long. Do they react to any calls or do you need to know their travel routes?

How do you hunt for turkey during the fall? They seem to be all grouped up, Toms and hens, and just walk around all day long. Do they react to any calls or do you need to know their travel routes?

Nothing is as it USUALLY is this year! I didn't even hear/see a tom this spring! ...and other than seeing them in the front yards of a Wendy's or apartment buildings...nothing in the woods this fall! NORMALLY they do react to calls...but this isn't a normal year for me! :(

Back
Top Bottom