No Chinese Silencers

Yeah, but since when has Lisp been good for anything other than projects in comp sci theory classes? Can you name one commercial product that has been written with CARs, CDRs and a whole bunch of right parens jammed together?

Lisp has many children, kinda like what runs Github...

A little, but more of a FORTRANaza, Pascalite, Smalltalker, and JS'er. WRT Python, I've got a CS BS degree that included language design, and Python contradicts several key good computer language design practices. All that said, I still use it when it's the best solution for the problem at hand, though I have to keep a couple of votive candles going and exorcise the computer when I'm done.

What does it make me if I used python to parse hard coded data from FORTRAN so I can go to a proprietary macro language?

Tell people you are doing polyglot programming. It sounds much more impressive and less horrifying than what you just described.

Trust me, it was a wild ride. Not sure why someone thought hardcoding 30,000+ points was a good idea to save from someone naming a program wrong but my job was to just transfer systems.

I guess this is a cautionary tale about your solvent traps then....
No seriously, I reuse the cleaning solvents I clean my barrels with!! I swear, I clean my guns frequently, with very expensive cleaners!!

Trust me, it was a wild ride. Not sure why someone thought hardcoding 30,000+ points was a good idea to save from someone naming a program wrong but my job was to just transfer systems.

Ha, understood. I've done things at least as gross. Porting BBN RS/1 to Japanese VAX VMS has got to be near the top of my list though. The Japanese team hopelessly lost all the Japanese translations from the source code, so I had to script a way to pull all the translations out of ancient compiled binary code, on Solaris, then make it work in VAX VMS. Holy crap.

Yeah, but since when has Lisp been good for anything other than projects in comp sci theory classes? Can you name one commercial product that has been written with CARs, CDRs and a whole bunch of right parens jammed together?
Maybe not so much now, but in the past, yes. From StackOverFlow:
  • Macsyma as the first large computer algebra system.
  • ACL2 as a widely used theorem prover, for example used by AMD.
  • DART as the logistics planner used during the first Gulf war by the US military. This Lisp application alone is said to have paid back for all US investments in AI research at that time.
  • SPIKE, the planning and scheduling application for the Hubble Space Telescope. Also used by several other large telescopes.
  • CYC, one of the largest software systems written. Representation and reasoning in the domain of human common sense knowledge.
  • METAL, one of the first commercially used natural language translation systems.
  • American Express' Authorizer's Assistant, which checks credit card transactions.

I was told in college that I was to learn basic FORTRAN because one day I would be tasked with either maintaining or migrating a legacy FORTRAN based system. Lets just say they were right, and my company got a strategically envious contract from a not so shabby customer. I got the keys to their system right as the last guy of the team supporting it internally retired.

Now ???

We always had Python geeks here.

Colt-Python-Fet.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F150407084310-01-monty-python.jpg

Indeed...

We tend to call those functions "first" and "rest" in newer LISPs. Lots of commercial packages are developed using parentheses jammed together, including at Amazon, Facebook, Walmart, etc. They compile to the same JVM byte code as any lesser language, but there's half the code base and side effects and mutable data are better managed. Parentheses are trivial to manage in a real text editor like Vi.

Not really. The c.close() is not required because that is handled automagically by the context manager established via the with statement.

Code:
with compartment.contents() as c:
    for item in c:
        if item in prohibited_items:
            items_found.append(item)
     c.close()

Last edited:
So whats wrong with solvent traps? Are some created "more ready" than others? I went the solvent trap route on a form 1 with no issues.
Nothing, done the right way like you did they are perfectly legal. You can buy shitty solvent traps pre-drilled and tapped if you go looking. Those traps could jam you up with the man.

holy necro thread batman!

I missed this thread originially with all the nerdgasms.

On a work table, agents located an air-powered water dremel polisher, which is "used to cool a gun after milling," the affidavit states, and a drill press.

also, don't make hiding spots behind mirrors, not going to fool feds.

++++++++[>++++[>++>+++>+++>+<<<<-]>+>+>->>+[<]<-]>>.>---.+++++++..+++.>>.<-.<.+++.------.--------.>>+.>++.

Back
Top Bottom