• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No CC on the Boston Common?

Just got this email from the NRA:

Why can't I CC on the Common and why would you choose that as the spot to hold a gun rights rally if true?

On Wednesday, April 3, the Gun Owners’ Action League (GOAL) will host a rally in Boston. Your presence is needed to demonstrate to your state legislators that you oppose all legislation that infringes on the rights of law-abiding gun owners and sportsmen.

Details for the Rally:

Date: Wednesday, April 3

Time: Noon to 3:00 p.m.

Where: Begins at Parkman Bandstand on the Boston Common and will proceed to the Massachusetts State House.

Public Transportation: MBTA Park Street Station on the Green Line.

Reminder: Concealed carry is prohibited on the Boston Common and in the State House.

if you CC correctly, who's to know the better =)

Just got the same email, will probably try to take work off to attend if possible.

Because of this:
Park Rules & Regulations | City of Boston

Parks said:
Specifically:
SECTION 2. No person shall, in any public park (including any boundary road thereof), or other public place (including any parkway) under the control of the Parks and Recreation Commission, except under the auspices of public authority:
(m) have in any such park or place, except a boundary road or parkway on which there are dwellings, any firearm or destructive weapon; or

SECTION 10. Whoever violates any provision of section seven of these rules shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty dollars for each offense; and whoever violates any other provision of these rules shall be punished by a fine or not more than fifty dollars for each offense.
Keep in mind that no one carrying can go into the statehouse either...

As to why hold the rally there, it is a question of logistics - it needs to be public and outdoors yet handle the crowd and be close to the State House.

Yes, it blows that we cannot exercise our right of free expression without infringement of 2A, but this is why we need to rally (one of many reasons).

But we are still required to carry muskets when traveling across the common.

Blue law still on the books.

Is this supposed to end IN the statehouse or is that just for future reference?
The rally will start in the common and then we will march into the State House.

$20? Sounds reasonable.
$50, the $20 applies to some other section.

There is also the matter of potential "suitability" assertions and see above, you won't be able to go into the State House.

Sounds like an ordinance to cover people trying to shoot wildlife there and busschittting about why they have a gun. Rather than get into questions, just ban firearms on the Common. How old is this law?

Sounds like an ordinance to cover people trying to shoot wildlife there and busschittting about why they have a gun. Rather than get into questions, just ban firearms on the Common. How old is this law?
Don't know, but it isn't a law, but rather a regulation of the Parks Department.

The rally will start in the common and then we will march into the State House.

$50, the $20 applies to some other section.

There is also the matter of potential "suitability" assertions and see above, you won't be able to go into the State House.

Thanks bud. I guess I missed that part.

Its also $50 for discharging a firearm, so, go to town.

SECTION 2. No person shall, in any public park (including any boundary road thereof), or other public place (including any parkway) under the control of the Parks and Recreation Commission, except under the auspices of public authority: (l) discharge any firearm or destructive weapon;

SECTION 10. Whoever violates any provision of section seven of these rules shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty dollars for each offense; and whoever violates any other provision of these rules shall be punished by a fine or not more than fifty dollars for each offense.

Just sayin' if I was on the other side I'd pre-position some police or Boston Park Rangers with the express objective of looking for CCW violators. Think what the publicity this would generate and what the 6 PM news would do with it.

You will have to go through a security check point at the State House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sayin' if I was on the other side I'd pre-position some police or Boston Park Rangers with the express objective of looking for CCW violators. Think what the publicity this would generate and what the 6 PM news would do with it.

You will have to go through a security check point at the State House.
None of the BPD folks I've dealt with would be interested in such shenanigans, but regardless people should be aware of the regulation as well as the inability to carry into the State House.

Mark are you anti-LEO? [laugh] [wink]

No I just work with a different crew on the BPD than you do, who may or may not have an entirely different agenda. They have some pending legal action against them right now. There are some folks up at Ashburton Place I'd be leery of too. None I work for or with, but with a dedicated agenda that's not the same as ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
eep in mind that no one carrying can go into the statehouse either...

Do you know what you can bring in the statehouse so far as knives or pepper-spray goes? Are these rules listed anywhere?

Will I have to go in to Boston completely disarmed of pointy objects or any other means of self defense?

Do you know what you can bring in the statehouse so far as knives or pepper-spray goes? Are these rules listed anywhere?

Will I have to go in to Boston completely disarmed of pointy objects or any other means of self defense?
Maybe we could hire some SIEU thugs to work security? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom