No-carry consequence

And the PD will issue your LTC within 40 days. I just don't buy any of this shit. Jack.
Historically the 40 day deadline has rarely if ever been met, but next day funds availability has regularly been the case. But, as the investment companies are fond of saying, past performance is no guarantee of future performance.
Sorry honey, I got robbed. I can't give you half of the money from my house.
If so, interesting legal question - were "they" robbed or was "he" robbed and still indebted to her for 50%?

Unless he was unbelievably careful the feds will discover any setup fake robbery. TracPhone or similar burner phone used or just present in area shortly before robbery? Same burner hit a tower near victims house? Video available of burner sale?. Correlate any other calls made from burners that called any burner in the area at the time. Total back door access, plenty of time and pretty much unlimited budget and it's hard to hide this sort of thing from the feds. Just ask Dread Pirate Roberts.

He would have to be a LOT better than Jesse Smollett. If the feds find a suspected confederate, they will turn him in about 10 minutes; maybe less.

Last edited:
I don't even use a bank check when moving that kind of money. It's either my check if cleared funds are not needed in a hurry; ACH or wire. Lose a bank check and the bank will wait for it to go stale in 6 months before it will process a refund.

I had a vendor insist on a bank check once - as in "merchandise stays on truck if you try to pay with personal check". Fine, but the vendor discarded the check. He was not pleased when I told him "It takes 6 months for a refund; I will send you the money the day my bank reimburses me for the lost check". My touche on the letter was "I would have been able to include a replacement check with this letter if you had not insisted on treating me as a bank check risk."
None of the banks that I have even done business with will drop $200K into a sack. Most have a $3,000 or less cash limit. Sure, it's your money but you will be getting it in a cashier's check, not cash. This story makes little or no sense, even in a f***ed-up state like California!

Or the guy opened his yap and told people what he was going to do. Which is more likely.

The more likely scenario.

I used to ride literal shotgun for a guy who used to move gold and silver from his shop to a place in NH once a month.
Anywhere between 20 and 60 K depending.
I always told him he had a big mouth and talked too much.
Sure enough one night we got followed by a carload of fine young gents of the Spanish persuasion and they pulled up along side on some back road , driver with pistol in hand.
It's amazing how much ball shrinkage occurs when your looking down the double barrels of a Rossi coach gun.

That was the last time i did it.
He must have told someone who ran their mouth to someone else , ect. ect.

None of the banks that I have even done business with will drop $200K into a sack. Most have a $3,000 or less cash limit. Sure, it's your money but you will be getting it in a cashier's check, not cash. This story makes little or no sense, even in a f***ed-up state like California!
Not my bank. No limit. Jack.

They have to, but may require time to allocate the paper money in the denominations requested. It wouldn't be uncommon for a bank to tell you to come back in 1-2 days for a request like $200k, during which time while they're getting your cash together, they may be communicating with IRS and other letter agencies, just in case.

That aside, I deal in a lot of cash for business. Was actually a compelling reason for my LTC in Cambridge, of all places. Most mid to large banks can pull together at the very minimum $10k every day, per request. I suspect they could do far greater, but need to ensure they can do that for most cash business people every day. Above $10k, call ahead.

Being in the trades I go to the bank a lot. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stopped the Clueless teller from counting out thousands of dollars out loud in front of me and the rest of the people while I’m standing there ! I love when they ask you , out loud , “ are large bills ok ? “ stupid people

I've had no problem getting amounts in the $3500 to $5000 range on the spot (e.g. when going private party used car shopping, getting emergency contractors, etc...)

Duffle bag? Unless it's smaller bills, $100,000 in $100 bills in good shape is a stack less then 4 1/2 inches thick. Will fit in your jacket pocket. Also, maybe he had some $500 ones. Now collector items. Jack.

Was definitely a true story and he said "bag", I assume duffle bag because that's how works in the movies but could've been a paper lunch bag :).. never seen that much cash although a few years ago I sold a boat and the guys bank gave him mostly 20s to make 10k and that was kinda a pain to deal with.

It may take 3-5 days to get that much cash. My bank needed a day to get just 5k and was limiting to 5k saying was due pandemic.

Being in the trades I go to the bank a lot. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stopped the Clueless teller from counting out thousands of dollars out loud in front of me and the rest of the people while I’m standing there ! I love when they ask you , out loud , “ are large bills ok ? “ stupid people

Why are you guys so paranoid? Who GAS who the bank tells about your cash WD? Realize that it's YOUR $$ that YOU put it into the bank and now YOU take it out. I don't care if they tell the UPS driver. Large cash deposits may cause a flag to go up because only drug dealers, if dumb enough, make large cash deposits. BYW, don't waste your life by coming to me to look for cash in the house. I have only a few bucks here for gas and groceries. Jack.

Well... the guy is a f***in moron. Someone obviously yapped. Maybe it was the bank, maybe someone close to him, whatever.
People in that "community" will kill you for 1/10th that amount. The guy looked to be about 145lbs soaking wet, and showed up to withdraw 200k with no plan in place?
He got what he deserved. I hope he already paid any taxes he might have owed ( if any)

Bank employee made a call.....
you don't think cops are pulling phone records for the bank and it's employees? bet they are and investigating every recipient of those calls.

i still feel there's more going on here than we know and i have another feeling the victim may be involved. i haven't seen anything besides the initial news story from yesterday so don't know if more info was released.

One consequence of attempting to be your own bank is everyone tries to treat you like a criminal and your money as illegal.

A friend of mine, family business owner carrying on from his father, was having a hard time gaining the rest of the financing required when buying a house. He asked "is it ok if I just bring the last 100k in cash?", they agreed (I guess not understanding what cash meant).. and then totally freaked out at the duffle bag full of $$ at the closing, perfectly clean legal $$ just tucked away over years by people who don't keep everything in the bank.

Heard similar stories of people trying to buy a new car in cash, dealerships usually won't take it.
Ridiculous that anyone who brings a stack of cash is treated like a drug cartel until proven otherwise. Those shocked faces never considered any other reason you might want money outside the banking system.

Sucks, but what was he planning to do with $200k cash that he needed cash instead of using a check or any number of other transfer methods?

I obviously can't comment on what HE was planning on doing with his $200K life savings, but I've been involved in a couple of hobbies where paying for items costing in the 5 and 6 figures, in cash, is quite common. And in some cases, cash is the only payment method accepted. But at least with these hobbyists, they're (hopefully) not using their life savings to buy these items.

Frank

Ridiculous that anyone who brings a stack of cash is treated like a drug cartel until proven otherwise. Those shocked faces never considered any other reason you might want money outside the banking system.
Still possible that the cash depositor is "suspicious " looking to a teller who just started yesterday and goes into the panic mode. I once had one report me to the branch manager who called me and wanted to ask about a large WD. You can guess how that went. Jack.

One of the things that goes on is whatever the "if deposit is > $10,000 it is reported to the IRS" thing but if your taxes are being paid as they should I don't know what they can really say about it. Yep I have been running a business for 20 years and some of the profits I claim and pay taxes on go into a safe, now I decided to deposit them.. sold my boat at a loss last year, payment in cash, what of it?

Granted of course if you work over the table with direct deposit and then make a mysterious 100k deposit that you refuse to explain, I don't know the IRS won't be climbing up your ass for awhile about it but there are a zillion clean reasons people pile cash up without a paper trail.

I'm coming late to this story; what happened -
guy double-parked, and LAPD executed a civil forfeiture?

If SHTF as you propose, in that the government through the treasury no longer grants FDIC borrowing power against US securities, there are far worse things to worry about than just one bank or financial institution failing. That means total economic collapse on levels we have never seen or can even calculate. End of the world type anarchy where your paper money under your bed is meaningless. But it won't get there. Not in our lifetimes at least.
4bxl6l.jpg

What is this "cash" that you gentlemen keep referring to? I know that the word is English, but I am unfamiliar with the actual item(s)
johnny-cash-middle-finger.jpg

Back
Top Bottom