No Big Bucks in MA... So I made a (pretty poor) video about it...

You wanna see big bucks in MA? Go to the hallways and back rooms of Beacon Hill. Plenty of big bucks for the taking.

Oh, I'm sorry. Wrong kind of bucks.

Disregard.

He's handsome.... Tell me something... I notice he has his back to your fence.... Is that the direction the wind is blowing from when he's there?

I'm not a hunter and I think your video was a clever parody, you were talking about lack of sign while it was right behind you, no? Went right over my head at first.

Anyway, it was morning and the buck did have his back to the West, you can see from the shadows, so very likely the windward direction. My backyard slopes uphill and forms kind of a sheltered bowl, the deer appear to feel safe, they're always hanging out here.

Yea you got it. Satire was the intent. There were some big rubs on those cedar trees I was standing in front of. On one of them, all the branches from my head height down were completely broken off the tree, the tree was torn up from my head down to about a foot above the ground... So - a big animal basically.

This dude shows up regularly. He was standing in my driveway this morning. Here he is taking a nap in the backyard a week or so ago.

View attachment 264639

While he is a decent deer....I let deer like that walk. Rack is average.

Not being snobby, Ive hunted for 35 years and have a lot bigger bucks on the wall from around here. Im sure he'd be a nice deer for someone who hasn't taken a deer that size.

I haven’t been hunting nearly as long as you but I’ve learned that the smart bucks in our area will bed down right up against houses/ other places that can’t be legally hunted. This is on Cape where there aren’t really a lot of large, uninterrupted areas of woods.

I was visiting a friend in Virginia a couple of weeks ago...when I took the dog out for a walk, I noticed that 4 deer had walked thru the front yard....and bedded down for the night in a clump of trees as snow was falling. 50 yards from the front door! :cool:

I haven’t been hunting nearly as long as you but I’ve learned that the smart bucks in our area will bed down right up against houses/ other places that can’t be legally hunted. This is on Cape where there aren’t really a lot of large, uninterrupted areas of woods.

Yup.

They always go to where they will not be disturbed by hunters and other humans. Their life depends on it and once they find their safe spot they will use it the following year(s).

Bob

Back
Top Bottom