No 4 Mk1 Lee Enfield

Your rear sight looks just like mine.
The only thing is that you don't have the front mounting point for the scope. Maybe that's why they're saying they were add ins.
Apparently there are a lot of people trying to convert their normal No4s into the Ts

means importer marks prior to 1960 something, all they had to mark on the gun was country of origin, unlike importer marks of today "c.A.I VT" ect ect

Are you looking for info on this? As in which RSAF made it? Or are you just posting? And if this is in fact a Karma.... I am in.

Looking for info; from my research she was made at ROF Maltby.

If you would like confirmation, Maltby was assigned serial number range 10,000-19,999. They would have started with no prefix and then single letter prefix and then 2 letter prefix. There should be a small stylized M on the left wrist band near the year date and serial number. What year was it made?

She was made in 1942 and has an X prefix to the SN which is in the higher end of that range. My research shows that X was used by BSA. There is an "M" next to the year of manufacture.

All British makers of the No 4 used the X prefix. It was the number range that was assigned. The M is the factory code for Maltby. Maltby started with the serial number 10,000 and went to 19,999 then started with A10,000-A19,999 and then kept changing the prefix letter. When they finished with X19,999 they then went to AA10,000. I hope that makes sense. The source of my info is Strattons book on the No 4.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the stylized M of Maltby.
attachment.php

I have the same book :)

I wish the stampings on mine were that clear. I asked my local shop if they had a .303 go/no go I could borrow, and they don't have one. I would like to shoot mine, but I am concerned about how safe she is to shoot.

Does the serial number on the flat back of the bolt handle match? If so, I would not be too concerned about firing it. Of the 20+ Enfields I have tested for headspace the only one that was excessive was a DP marked rifle. If you want to test it all you would need is the field gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.jpg image.jpg
I'm not sure if this is wishful thinking or if the faint markings on the backside of the bolt actually matches the SN on the receiver.

The bolt has decent resistance while the lugs lock in the last inch, but is butter smooth for most of the cycle.

Last edited:
That is for sure the Maltby M and a Maltby serial number. That is also a matching bolt. Only the bolt and the receiver were serialized on the No. 4. That looks like a very nice Maltby. I bet it is a 2 groove barrel as well. If that was my gun I would not even think twice about firing it. However, if you want to be cautious, take it a range and strap the rifle to a saw horse, tie a 20 foot string to the trigger, load it and walk back and pull the trigger when safe. Then check the spent cartridge for signs of pressure. If there are none, then you are all set. Or you can by the Oakie 303 field gauge.

The bolt of an SMLE/Enfield cocks on closing, unlike a Mauser which cocks on opening. That is the resistance you are feeling when closing the bolt the last bit of space. Congrats on a very nice No. 4. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom