NJ needs COBOL programmers...

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
COBOL was the 3rd programming language I learned after Basic (on my own), and Fortran (college). It was an attempt to make business-oriented programs easy to read and understand, at least in comparison to "scientific programs" written in Fortran. Never used it beyond the class, and I think that book is long gone. Still have the Fortran book, although I've not used Fortran in ~25 years.

For the right price and customer I'd consider relearning it, but not for pond-scum NJ.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They say you can tell how corrupt a state is by the condition of its roads. Maybe we can update that old adage to "....the programming language their essential systems are written in"

RapidTransit

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massively complicated business programs that would be expensive to modernize. Same reason MUMPS is still around I guess.
This was brought up on reddit /r/programming
CASE SENSITIVITY: Commands and intrinsic functions are case-insensitive. Variable names and labels are case-sensitive.

COMMANDS: may be abbreviated to one letter, case-insensitive. Includes commands such as IF, ELSE, GOTO, WRITE, and XECUTE [which is my personal favorite, it allows arbitrary execution of code contained in a variable]

OPERATORS: No precedence, executed left to right, parenthesize as desired. 2+3*10 yields 50.

DATA TYPES: one universal datatype, interpreted/converted to string, integer, or floating-point number as context requires.

DECLARATIONS: NONE. Everything dynamically created on first reference.

LINES: important syntactic entities. Multiple statements per line are idiomatic. Scope of IF and FOR is "remainder of current line."

LOCAL ARRAYS: created dynamically, any number of subscripts, subscripts can be strings or integers. Stored in process space and expire when process terminates.

GLOBAL ARRAYS: arrays that start with a caret symbol. Stored on disk, available to all processes, persist when process terminates. This is M's main "database" mechanism.
A Case of the MUMPS
[rofl]

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
I still have a HP-41cv calculator.
Still have my HP-28s here. The clamshell design is nice, but it has a limited display. Also have my HP48G which has a much better display and graphing capability. Love 'em both. Far prefer RPN for calculating. Kids HATE it. No idea why. But if it keeps them from messing with them, GREAT!!!!

Then again, I still have my 2nd laptop, a Compaq Presario 1030. A whoppin' 100mhz processor windows 95 machine.

My original laptop was a Compaq Contura 4/25Cx which was a 25mhz DOS machine. I handed it down to my parents and they managed to break the hinge in less than a week. *sigh* That was one of the first laptops that had a color screen and cost a bundle. Was also the machine I first played Doom on. Anyone remember the old Xircom adapters you would plug into the parallel port so you could connect to Ethernet and (OMG!) Token Ring? Yup, still have those too.

With one exception due to a drop, I still have all my old laptops and the one desktop 'game' machine I built for Everquest and WoW. The PC I used in college is the only other one I no longer have. I have no idea why I still have all these old machines. They all work. Batteries are pretty much junk, but work fine on the AC adapter.

I'm sure I still have a slide rule around too.

I never feel like I'm older than dirt, but damn, compared to technology, I'm sure feeling like an Old today. At least I still have guns and booze older than I am. (^_^)

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lets get away from the programming aspect of this for a second, and look at who is asking for programmers. The STATE of N.J., the Govt. Of NEW JERSEY?? Fark them, let their systems crash and burn.
It IS an anti gun state. You have an excellent point

Cipher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cobol -- yes, Cobol -- gets a bridge to Node.js

Found on Github, the node-cobol project enables the running of Cobol code from Node.js, the popular server-side JavaScript platform. "I just thought it would be funny to create a bridge between a popular actual programming language -- Node.js -- and an old one -- Cobol," developer Ionica Bizau said in an email. "Honestly, I don't really think there is a real need, except the nostalgia that it creates especially for the Cobol programmers and people who know what Cobol is."
Maybe this guy can help.😁

Top Bottom