• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NJ Man Posted Sign With Image Of Gun To Deter Speeders

What my town said when petitioned by some neighborhood residents about installing speed bumps:

Can speed bumps or speed humps be deployed to control speeding vehicles?
It has been our experience that speed bumps and speed humps can cause increased problems for the town because of the following:

They are a liability for the town, refer to Legal Opinions from Town Counsels;

Some vehicles actually speed up when they see speed bumps / humps;

Winter hazards (they collect snow, ice, and rain run off);

Excessive noise annoyances to residents that live near speed bumps / humps.

What my town said when petitioned by some neighborhood residents about installing speed bumps:

Can speed bumps or speed humps be deployed to control speeding vehicles?
It has been our experience that speed bumps and speed humps can cause increased problems for the town because of the following:

They are a liability for the town, refer to Legal Opinions from Town Counsels;

Some vehicles actually speed up when they see speed bumps / humps;

Winter hazards (they collect snow, ice, and rain run off);

Excessive noise annoyances to residents that live near speed bumps / humps.
I used to use speedbumps to help do burnouts in cars that weren't meant for doing burnouts

We used some strategically placed sandbags on the street when this became an issue. We basked in their awesomeness and effectiveness. Pretty sure the underwear elves placed them in the road when I oops I mean they got home after their 4 -12 shift and had a bunch of vodka.

I drove through a neighborhood that had reverse speedbumbs (concave). They eventually replaced them with real speedbumps because I suspect they were ****ing up cars.

http://www.amazon.com/ASR-Tactical-Puncturing-Security-Devices/dp/B0038ZTGZ4

No - I wouldn't tie a bunch of these on a cord and toss them out under a speeding car. That would be wrong.

We had people driving on our neighborhood common land to dump trash in the woods, past numerous properly posted No Trespassing signs. I've heard tell of those that position a long 2x6 plank along just the right section of tire rut, that can only be depressed by a heavy vehicle, allowing the tires of said vehicle to hit spikes in another anchored board underneath that protrude 2-3 inches up through a hole in that plank. With a few inches of dead vegetation scatterred over the plank, the vehicle drives over, the tire get punctured and flats out many yards away, with no sign of what happened. You just need to call the police when you see the b*stards trying to change a tire. Lots of ways this might fail, so I'd advise nobody to try it...

The best throwing of a hammer was made by a guy that lived up the street from me. Some twenty something zoomed up the street, went around the block and did it again....the third time he did it my neighbor ran out of his driveway and whipped an Estwing hammer about 60 feet or more right through the kids back windshield. The kid didn't even stop and I never saw him driving up the street again.

Love the sentiment, but I don't think I'd want to waste an Estwing - couldn't he have just used some POS Home Cheapo hammer?

Love the sentiment, but I don't think I'd want to waste an Estwing - couldn't he have just used some POS Home Cheapo hammer?

That was what I was thinking. I have been tempted on many occasions to throw my hammer at the side of a speeding car, but it always seems to happen when I have my favorite Eastwing, not a cheapie Harbor Freight hammer! I guess you could aim for the lower part of the door or something so you could get your hammer back.[laugh]

I live a block over from a traffic light. When I get someone starting to speed down my street to avoid it, I start spending a lot of time riding my skateboard out in the street. Its funny because at first they stay on the throttle, then I think they must realize it's an adult and not a kid and let off. Then they look all confused as I just stand there with my hand up signaling them to stop instead of getting out of their way. I mosey over to their window, and ask them as nicely as I can "Hey, can you do me a favor?" while looking up and down the street, and in and around their car past them. I explain how there are a lot of children and old people in the neighborhood, and would would really appreciate it if they'd slow down when they come down our road. Then I stare them in the face like I'd like to chew it off as they start to answer me. I make sure the whole encounter takes way longer than stopping for the light. Never seen the same speeding car twice.

Whether kids should or shouldn't play on streets shouldn't be relevant to whether or not it is okay to drive recklessly through residential neighborhoods. It is almost as if some people think if no kids are ever on the street that it is okay to drive fast and recklessly. I suppose things like, getting the mail, pulling in or out of driveways, mowing lawns at the edge of the road, or crossing the street never happen.

But I digress. Saving 15 seconds should be a priority.

I live a block over from a traffic light. When I get someone starting to speed down my street to avoid it, I start spending a lot of time riding my skateboard out in the street. Its funny because at first they stay on the throttle, then I think they must realize it's an adult and not a kid and let off. Then they look all confused as I just stand there with my hand up signaling them to stop instead of getting out of their way. I mosey over to their window, and ask them as nicely as I can "Hey, can you do me a favor?" while looking up and down the street, and in and around their car past them. I explain how there are a lot of children and old people in the neighborhood, and would would really appreciate it if they'd slow down when they come down our road. Then I stare them in the face like I'd like to chew it off as they start to answer me. I make sure the whole encounter takes way longer than stopping for the light. Never seen the same speeding car twice.

This might work in some cases, but if I had an RPG and I blew up every car that sped down my street at 3 times the posted speed limit I'd have about at least 50 car carcasses lined up on the street in a couple days time. Actually if I got a tractor and towed them around and made a slalom course out of it that would get the others to slow down. [laugh] It's funny because if the city decided to bisect my neighborhood, nobody would care too much (except for a bunch of people that don't live anywhere near this neighborhood) and it would stop all that stuff pretty quickly.

I've noticed this "blasting down side streets" thing is a special kind of MA douchebaggery. I work in Cambridge and ill be trying to cross some otherwise sleepy, one way, side street somewhere and some guy/broad will come flying down the street with their car trying to shave 5 seconds off or cut off a light because they don't want to drive on a main road.

-Mike

So called "traffic calming devices" are more of an annoyance than a help. One road in Leominster installed that shit on it, the bumps lasted about 6 months before residents more or less crawled up the mayor's ass and demanded that they be removed.

Speed bumps and chicanes use the same philosophy as gun control- "There is a problem, so lets punish EVERYONE!"

-Mike

Whether kids should or shouldn't play on streets shouldn't be relevant to whether or not it is okay to drive recklessly through residential neighborhoods. It is almost as if some people think if no kids are ever on the street that it is okay to drive fast and recklessly. I suppose things like, getting the mail, pulling in or out of driveways, mowing lawns at the edge of the road, or crossing the street never happen.

But I digress. Saving 15 seconds should be a priority.
who said anything about reckless?
I thought we were talking about 10mph over an arbitrary speed limit

who said anything about reckless?
I thought we were talking about 10mph over an arbitrary speed limit

No. I'm not thinking the guy posted the sign because cars were going an arbitrary speed, but rather a speed he felt was dangerous based on the conditions. In other words, their driving could be viewed as reckless. Huge difference.

No. I'm not thinking the guy posted the sign because cars were going an arbitrary speed, but rather a speed he felt was dangerous based on the conditions. In other words, their driving could be viewed as reckless. Huge difference.

true it could be... I have also been yelled at by a homeowner to slow down because there are kids around while doing 12mph because my improperly filled tire made a noise going around a corner

Back
Top Bottom