• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NJ Man Posted Sign With Image Of Gun To Deter Speeders

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
A Wayne man has taken down a sign that threatened speeding motorists but he said he's prepared to put it up again if necessary.

"WARNING: If you hit one of these kids because you are speeding, you will not need a lawyer," the sign said. An image of a gun was pictured below the text.

Craig Rovere told News12 he decided to put up the sign after a driver ran over another sign shaped like a child that asked motorists to slow down.

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/in...sign_with_image_of_gun_to_deter_speeders.html

Don't read the comments, your head will explode. [rolleyes]

Thanks for the warning, but I did read most of the comments, and I'm not even a bit surprised even though it pisses me off that people can be so damned ignorant. This issue is very near and dear to my heart because I was hit by a speeding motorist on the dead end street where I grew up, and while I was partly to blame for running across the street to see my grandparents, the driver was going too fast to get his car under control in a neighborhood heavily populated by small children. Needless to say, I managed to survive, but it definitely left me with scars both physical and psychological when it comes to speeding in residential neighborhoods. I've been a hotrodder/car enthusiast my whole life so speeding isn't an issue for me, it's "where" it is done that's a problem for me. Coincidentally, I own a home also on a dead end street very similar to where I grew up and over the past 20 years or so that I've lived here have had to literally run out in the street to stop people who feel it's necessary to travel as if they are on a 4 lane highway. What this guy did has in fact crossed my mind many times and the ONLY thing that prevents me from doing it is the fear of becoming "unsuitable" for daring to publicly display an image of a firearm here in the People's Republik...

I will read the comments later, but I find that the sheeple are selfish.

There are quite a few asshats that cut through my residential street, and are going 35-40, and sometimes there are people going faster than that.

The worst offender is the jerk with the white Chevy Avalanche. Moron doesn't slow down even when the neighborhood kids are out playing.

I put up a "Drive Like Your Kids Lived Here" sign a couple of years ago, and some twit stole it.

We asked the Methuen PD for help, and figured we might get somewhere because the next door neighbor knows everyone in town, so we were somewhat hopeful.

They came down with the listening device and left it up for about two weeks to analyze how fast people were driving.

Of course, nothing ever came of it. Why am I paying taxes? Remind me again? [banghead]

I definitely feel for the guy in NJ.

And before anyone thinks I'm no fun to be around, I've always been a car guy. I love driving and driving well. But there is a time and a place, and a residential street with kids playing is not the place to fly like there's no tomorrow.

/rant

I prefer the approach that my father took in his younger days. After getting sick of one particular clown speeding through his neighborhood, he rolled some sort of barrel out into the road. The speeding motorist hit it and stopped abruptly to scream at my dad. My dad calmly commented that the motorist lucky it wasn't a kid that ran into the road instead of a barrel.

No more speeding on that road. :)

Craig Rovere told News12 he decided to put up the sign after a driver ran over another sign shaped like a child that asked motorists to slow down.

sorry, but that's funny to me

There are quite a few asshats that cut through my residential street, and are going 35-40, and sometimes there are people going faster than that.

The worst offender is the jerk with the white Chevy Avalanche. Moron doesn't slow down even when the neighborhood kids are out playing.

I put up a "Drive Like Your Kids Lived Here" sign a couple of years ago, and some twit stole it.

We asked the Methuen PD for help, and figured we might get somewhere because the next door neighbor knows everyone in town, so we were somewhat hopeful.

They came down with the listening device and left it up for about two weeks to analyze how fast people were driving.

Of course, nothing ever came of it. Why am I paying taxes? Remind me again? [banghead]

And before anyone thinks I'm no fun to be around, I've always been a car guy. I love driving and driving well. But there is a time and a place, and a residential street with kids playing is not the place to fly like there's no tomorrow.

/rant

I actually went through the same drill of speaking to the police about it, and like you got nowhere. Hey, maybe they just believe in "self help" here in my town...hmm...[laugh] One of our other neighbors who also has children actually went to the home of a particular family of Russian immigrants that moved onto our street and have become the most flagrant speeders. The guy who she spoke to, who I guess is the patriarch of the clan (they have something like a dozen people living in the single family home), replied that it is "her problem" not his, and that she should take the responsibility for her own kids that don't belong in the road, and if one of them gets hit, it's her fault! I have to say that he is damned lucky I wasn't the one he said that to because things wouldn't have gone well for anyone that day.

I prefer the approach that my father took in his younger days. After getting sick of one particular clown speeding through his neighborhood, he rolled some sort of barrel out into the road. The speeding motorist hit it and stopped abruptly to scream at my dad. My dad calmly commented that the motorist lucky it wasn't a kid that ran into the road instead of a barrel.

No more speeding on that road. :)

Might not be the greatest idea though. Some kids did that same thing with a tire in my neck of the woods when I was younger and the guy driving went off the road and hit a tree. He died from the accident. Not saying there isn't places slower speeds are warranted but how to get people to slow down is something to think hard about before doing it. I just hate the people who move onto main roads and cut throughs and are mad people speed on them as though they had no idea people might drive fast on a main road or cut through. Kind of like how people had no idea the train or gun range they moved next too might produce noise.

/rant

draw a yellow line across the street and put up a speed bump sign. then in a couple weeks slide out a real speed bump. after they lose their front end they will slow down. only works if your neighbors agree.

New Jersey is a smelly, pile of trash and I for one would never be in New Jersey. I went there a few times to visit my ex-wife's family and hated the place.

The best throwing of a hammer was made by a guy that lived up the street from me. Some twenty something zoomed up the street, went around the block and did it again....the third time he did it my neighbor ran out of his driveway and whipped an Estwing hammer about 60 feet or more right through the kids back windshield. The kid didn't even stop and I never saw him driving up the street again.

My friends and I laughed about that for weeks.

Nothing ever came of it, no cops ever involved, no retaliation from the driver. Today it would be a federal case with multiple swat teams responding.

Mind you, this street had lots of kids under the age of 13-14 and the thrower had a couple of kids under 5.

draw a yellow line across the street and put up a speed bump sign. then in a couple weeks slide out a real speed bump. after they lose their front end they will slow down. only works if your neighbors agree.

Sure way to lose everything you own.

- - - Updated - - -

Kids shouldn't play in the street, just sayin.

Hit one and see if your jury agrees. :D

There are quite a few asshats that cut through my residential street, and are going 35-40, and sometimes there are people going faster than that

This door swings both ways, though. It is reasonable to expect people to obey speed limits in a tight neighborhood, but if you live on a street that has a lot of traffic volume wise, it is unreasonable to think that your kids are going to be safe playing out in the street. If you don't want traffic live on a culdesac or something, or move out to the sticks.

I know your pain; I live on a street that acts as a "long cut pass through" and it sucks, because people drive full retard on my street as a result) but even if everyone did drive the speed limit, there would still be too many cars to even THINK about letting kids play on that street.

Part of this is just a "new england legacy roads problem" too. While we have trunks and branches to our road systems there is just a lot of "extension cord mess" everywhere and there is no fixing it.

-Mike

"Adults" shouldn't drive 40 in a 25 thickly settled. Just sayin'.

If they do it long enough eventually the speed limit will go up. [laugh]

I'm not kidding either. Two roads near my childhood home actually increased the speed limits, probably because the engineering surveys all said that like 90%+ of the people driving on them continuously violated the speed limits. One that was a 30 went up to 35 and another that was a 30 actually got reposted at 40. Of course even the people that lived in the area didn't drive that slow on the roads either.

-Mike

Comment posted an hour ago by the guy who made the sign...

I am the individual who made the sign. My children don't play in the street. We live on a street and they use the street to travel from house to house and to the park where they actually play. We don't have sidewalks, so they have to walk at the side of the road. There are a lot of kids in my neighborhood. What happens when a car loses control at speed? I goes off the road. Into yards and driveways. THAT is what I am trying to avoid. The "Keep your kids out of the street" solution is worthless. We live in a residential neighborhood. Kids need to get from point A to point B. Should I drive my kids across the street to their friends house? The sign does NOT imply an unwarranted threat of violence. I have asked the same people over and over not to speed and they do it anyway. They know it poses a real and potentially deadly risk to these kids, but they do it anyway. Continuing to speed constitutes an overt threat. My sign returned the threat ONLY if their reckless actions resulted in the unthinkable. Think of it as mutually assured destruction. I won't do anything first, but if they cause harm through reckless behavior, so will I. The Wayne Police Department has been fantastic in placing radar-equipped officers on the street which had an immediately positive effect. The Mayor's office as well as our Councilman are currently working on having a speed bump installed as well. Engineers are on-scene as I write this. The sign was 100% effective at solving my problem, so arguments against it are mute. Thanks to everyone who has supported me and my efforts to create a safe environment for the kids in my neighborhood.

He may need a primer on the word moot, but I like him...

I hear you Mike, but that's the thing with our street. It's a residential street, and it just empties out onto another residential street. We live on the 110 side of the street, but the other end is just another side street. The ironic thing is that cutting through my street isn't any faster than just staying on the one the speeders live on.

I've timed it [at 25mph] and there is absolutely no time savings. It just seems like there would be, so people cut through. And as far as traffic count, it's still a pretty quiet street. It's just a select few who fly. One of these people came to our house to campaign for his relative, Eileen Donohough [sp?]. He's lucky I wasn't home. He would've gotten an earful.

Anyway, the only time our kids are on the street is when they're riding their bikes, and we're with them. But other neighborhood kids, right or wrong, do spend more time playing in the road because they really don't have any other choice.

BTW, one of the best drivers to come through our street is the guy with the tricked-out WRX STI. He just chugs along at 15 & waves. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom