NJ Man Denied Gun Permit Due To Bad Driving Record

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Bad driver denied gun permit in New Jersey

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey man who works for a private security company cannot get a permit to carry a handgun because of his driving record.

An appeals court on Thursday upheld a lower court that found allowing Rahman Idlett to carry a weapon was "against the interest of the public health, safety and welfare" even though Perth Amboy police said he could.

The judge found Idlett's license was suspended 15 times in the 15 years that he's been driving. He received 16 speeding tickets, two careless driving citations and other charges.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bad-driver-denied-gun-permit-jersey-120051336.html

He was denied the permit because he lives in NJ.
If it were Mass he'd probably be deemed "unsuitable" because of the driving record.

This was probably a very limited permit for uniformed armed security. If he had enough juice to get an unrestricted concealed carry permit but for a driving record, he would have likely had no problem.

At least this denial was based on convictions (or findings of responsibility if that's the term used in NJ for driving infractions) rather than "You were found not guilty, but evidence of guilt still exists".

15 speeding tickets is a lot. Shows poor judgement. I can see both sides of the argument though. This "suitability" stuff is very subjective, i do not recall any "suitability" section in 2A.....
what if they said "he is not suitable because he lets his grass grow too high in his yard", or some other trivial thing. Give them an inch and they will take a thousand miles.

15 speeding tickets is a lot. Shows poor judgement. I can see both sides of the argument though. This "suitability" stuff is very subjective, i do not recall any "suitability" section in 2A.....
what if they said "he is not suitable because he lets his grass grow too high in his yard", or some other trivial thing. Give them an inch and they will take a thousand miles.

That's one per year. It said in 15 years.

No, actually it isn't, and no, it doesn't. Understand that "speeding" is still an arbitrary infraction. It's simply another method for the state to accumulate revenue. It has nothing to do with safety.

The guy is obviously a douchebag driver, no doubt, but wtf does that have to do with him carrying a firearm? I guess I fail to see the connection?

The guy is obviously a douchebag driver, no doubt, but wtf does that have to do with him carrying a firearm? I guess I fail to see the connection?
If he had enough connections to get a NJ carry permit, he would have the connections to get his tickets fixed.

How so? How is this "obvious" to you? Maybe he has been constantly harassed by the local "heroes".

Well, that could be true, or he is just stupid about how he drives. Either way, that was irrelevant to my point. They are with withholding a constitutional right because he is a "presumed bad driver". The 2 things are not even in the same planet of relevance, that was my point.

I have:

6 tickets from one town in Rhode Island. Half of these were local cops specifically looking for me, other half were me being me.
1 ticket from another town in Rhode Island that I "earned" myself.
One ticket from another town in RI that was handled by a lawyer I hired; he got the ticket dismissed.
Two warnings from the NHSP for speeding on 93.
One ticket from the NHSP for having out tail-lights.
A New Hampshire concealed carry permit.

First, hiring a traffic ticket lawyer is an excellent investment especially if the ticket was issued under questionable circumstances. Mine was a ticket for passing on the right, however I was entering into a turn-only lane. So the ticket was dismissed at no cost/pain to me besides what I paid the lawyer.

Second, concealed carry permits are unconstitutional, racist and revenue makers. Constitutional carry folks, that's what we need to look to as our end goal.

It's NJ so even with someone who is "obviously a douchebag driver" I'm going to give the citizen the benefit of the doubt. That's how ****ed up the PDs are down there.

Speed infractions alone are usually pure bullshit, among other things. He just sucked at not getting caught.

-Mike

How so? How is this "obvious" to you? Maybe he has been constantly harassed by the local "heroes".

Or maybe he is actually a reptilian!

Or maybe he is constantly a douchebag driver. Who knows? All we have to go by is the 15 DL suspensions for tickets that he either:

A. Didn't pay
B. Fought and was found responsible for.

Insinuating he is being harassed is pure speculation.

In MA, driving to endanger is a misdefelony which makes you a P.P. WRT speeding, twenty six mph over the limit is all it takes...[hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom