• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NJ Drops ‘Justifiable Need’ Requirement for Concealed Carry Following SCOTUS 2A Ruling

Reptile

NES Member
New Jersey’s acting Attorney General Matthew Platkin issued a June 24, 2022, directive to “All Law Enforcement Chief Executives and County Prosecutors.”

Platkin’s directive is titled, “Directive Clarifying Requirements for Carrying of Firearms in Public.”

The directive says:

Yesterday the U.S. Supreme Court issued a decision that impacts New Jersey’s permitting law but does not eliminate our overall permitting requirements. Under current New Jersey law, an individual can obtain a carry permit only if they can demonstrate to the reviewing officer that the applicant satisfies mandatory statutory requirements: (1) is “not subject to any of the disabilities which would prevent him or her from obtaining a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card,” (2) is “thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns,” and (3) “[h]as demonstrated a justifiable need to carry a handgun.”…The decision in N.Y. State Rifle & Pistol Assoc. v. Bruen prevents us from continuing to require a demonstration of justifiable need in order to carry a firearm, but it does not prevent us from enforcing the other requirements in our law.

In the section on reviewing concealed carry permit applications, Platkin’s directive says:

In reviewing an individual’s application for a permit to carry, the applicable law enforcement agency shall continue to ensure that the applicant satisfies all of the criteria of N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4d and N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4, except that the applicant need not submit a written certification of justifiable need to carry a handgun.

Platkin’s directive ends, “This Directive shall take effect immediately and remain in force and effect unless and until it is repealed, amended, or superseded by Order of the Attorney General.”

Breitbart News reported that SCOTUS’s ruling in NYSRPA v. Bruen struck down New York’s proper cause requirement for concealed carry permit issuance.

In the majority opinion, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote, “We too agree, and now hold, consistent with Heller and McDonald, that the Second and Fourteenth Amendments protect an individual’s right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home.”

For a lot of operatives like her scotus rulings are just more like a guidelines, not a law. And whatever pac runs ads against her now should use her disrespect of scotus as well.
Hahaha
I'm on your side here, I really am.

But anybody harping on that in MA is giving her votes. She's probably going to stand on this as proof that she's "bravely" standing up to "Trump's illegitimate Court."

In her mind, this is heroic. To the 80% of MA residents who don't like guns, and don't understand what's actually going on, she's right.

Hahaha
I'm on your side here, I really am.

But anybody harping on that in MA is giving her votes. She's probably going to stand on this as proof that she's "bravely" standing up to "Trump's illegitimate Court."

In her mind, this is heroic. To the 80% of MA residents who don't like guns, and don't understand what's actually going on, she's right.
For now, but if she winds up being the one which gets SCotUS to say, "Well we gave guidance and left it up to the states -but you still didn't listen, so CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY IT IS"; Maura will wind up going down in history as the harpy that undid it all for them. Even having the previously friendly to her 1st circuit step with the text & history standard to tell Maura her shit's f***ed up and she's retarded wouldn't be a good look for her.

For now, but if she winds up being the one which gets SCotUS to say, "Well we gave guidance and left it up to the states -but you still didn't listen, so CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY IT IS"; Maura will wind up going down in history as the harpy that undid it all for them.
Something about stopping your opponent from making mistakes...

Why didn't she get the LTC from her own agency? Police officers can get their LTC from their own agency no matter where they live. Just as business owners can get their LTC from the city or town where they have their business. A friend owns a business in Quincy, but lives elsewhere. His LTC is from Quincy.

LOWELL CLEO is going to have an aneurysm over this.

Even my licensing officer had a hard time getting an LTC in Lowell. A LICENSING OFFICER, from a neighboring town. She works at a damn PD.

Why didn't she get the LTC from her own agency? Police officers can get their LTC from their own agency no matter where they live. Just as business owners can get their LTC from the city or town where they have their business. A friend owns a business in Quincy, but lives elsewhere. His LTC is from Quincy.
Not a cop. Not all licensing officers are cops.

Funny, I've never run into one that wasn't.
In some towns a clerk-type handles all the paperwork and process. I think the CLEO, or designated LEO, still has to sign as the licensing authority, but they don't do the process. Last I knew that's how it was in my town.

LOWELL CLEO is going to have an aneurysm over this.

Even my licensing officer had a hard time getting an LTC in Lowell. A LICENSING OFFICER, from a neighboring town. She works at a damn PD.
Lowell required that one prove that one had already been a victim of a violent crime with a threat of it happening again.
Other than that, One had to pay into key democrat election campaign or cash tips.

Lowell required that one prove that one had already been a victim of a violent crime with a threat of it happening again.
Other than that, One had to pay into key democrat election campaign or cash tips.
Lowell changed things up a few years ago and they now issue unrestricted LTCs of you jump thru a few extra hoops. 3 letters of recommendation, an additional training class, and a letter. I know that it sucks to do the extra, but now folks can get unrestricted without a special circumstance

Back
Top Bottom