• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nipper Memorial Match at the Sig Sauer Academy 5/1/2010

My good friend JB lost his beloved best buddy a few months back. Nipper was a great dog who attended every match that JB did. They went everywhere together. Many shooters from various aspects of the shooting sports got to know Nip. He was awesome!

During the last few years of his life he became a regular fixture at the Sig Sauer Academy.

In a fantastic tribute to this guy the Academy is hosting the First Annual Nipper Memorial action pistol match on May 1st 2010. The match has quite a variety of stages (USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, Standards) for our shooting pleasure as well as both rifle and shotgun side matches. It promises to be an awesome day of shooting fun!

ETA so you can bring the right equipment: The rifle side match consists of one stage called 100 Yd Hustle. Four targets engaged with ten rounds each from 100yds in various positions (standing, kneeling, sitting, prone)under one start signal. There is a 60 sec time limit and a mandatory re-load.

To top it all off, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to one of the local pounds (Nipper came from a pound).

Anyway... I hope many of you can make it!

Last edited:
I'm in. Great match, great dog. Little Nipper actually pushed my Rottweiler around.

That dog is one of the biggest, strongest, and most handsome Rottweilers I have ever seen BTW. Not to mention he is nice to me so that helps. [laugh]

SG ammo is #6 through #9 lead shot only. We will be shooting pepper poppers.

I checked out the match web site and came away a little confused. Apparently they intend to group production and limited guns in the same class. I don't see how this can be done due to the different rules for guns and equipment in each class and the major/minor issue. It would seem to me that the limited guns would have quite an advantage. Can anyone enlighten me?

I checked out the match web site and came away a little confused. Apparently they intend to group production and limited guns in the same class. I don't see how this can be done due to the different rules for guns and equipment in each class and the major/minor issue. It would seem to me that the limited guns would have quite an advantage. Can anyone enlighten me?

Bring your full cap mags would be my guess. Sig Academy, their rules. I will shoot my Sig 226 in Limited/production with 357SIG ammo and 12 round mags. Kinda middle of the road I guess.

Bring your full cap mags would be my guess. Sig Academy, their rules. I will shoot my Sig 226 in Limited/production with 357SIG ammo and 12 round mags. Kinda middle of the road I guess.

With me a choice has to be made. My M&P is equipped with MA 10 round mags. If they are going to allow high cap mags in this class I will have to switch to a limited double stack gun. It would be nice if someone could post the rules.

I asked the same question and I have been informed that rounds will be limited to 10 in the magazine for all autos competing in limited/production. No stipulation on holsters and mag holders.

Open division does not have a limit on round count.

There will be no "major/minor" at this match.

As this is really a "fun" match and not an official association match (USPSA - IDPA) they are looking for the best way to keep it simple but allow for shooters who compete in different games with different equipment to shoot the match. I guess fun is the key word here.

I asked the same question and I have been informed that rounds will be limited to 10 in the magazine for all autos competing in limited/production. No stipulation on holsters and mag holders.

As this is really a "fun" match and not an official association match (USPSA - IDPA) they are looking for the best way to keep it simple but allow for shooters who compete in different games with different equipment to shoot the match. I guess fun is the key word here.
Matt, it's actually less confusing by simply stipulating that they are using USPSA / IDPA rules, but not affiliated with the organization. Then, equipment and safety rules can be checked on easily.

Dan,

Agreed.
I was not involved in organizing this match. I am simply the messenger passing along the info from the source.

I hope to see you there for some fun!

Matt, it's actually less confusing by simply stipulating that they are using USPSA / IDPA rules, but not affiliated with the organization. Then, equipment and safety rules can be checked on easily.

That makes sense. thanks for the clarifcation.

Match is next Saturday. Shooters meeting at 9:00 AM.

I was up at Sig yesterday working through some of the stage set-ups with JB. It should be a fun match for both new and experienced shooters alike.

There are a variety of stages - all steel (plate rack stage with 5 starts, smoke n hope static steel stage), all paper, and one has a mix of paper and steel (poppers and TX star). There are stages with considerable movement and stages which have no movement.

Dan,

I can not speak for Sig on that one. But if you bring them with you and speak to Jeff when you get there my guess is that you could work it out. I bet they would love to support such an awesome thing.

Better yet - let me send him an e-mail and get back to you.

UPDATE: I talked to JB. No problem. You can offer them at the match (announcement during the shooters meeting, sign on one of the registration tables, ect.) You have multiple options for selling the tickets. Send me a PM if you want to discuss more.

Last edited:
One more question. Will we need shot shell holders for the side match? I saw that we'll need to do a reload with the rifle.

One more question. Will we need shot shell holders for the side match? I saw that we'll need to do a reload with the rifle.

Dan,
From the stage briefing I read over the weekend on the SG side match. If you shoot a SG like me it is probably safe to bring a shell holder just in case. [laugh]

With shotgun of your choice.
Five dollars get three runs. Best 2 out of 3 are scored.

Standing in box A with shotgun aimed at safety cone.
On start signal engage the 5 steel poppers. Poppers must fall to score.
Add five (5) seconds per missed target.

Distance of 10 yards

Use #6 thru #9 lead shot only!

Back
Top Bottom