Nikon Scope - Customer Service & Warranty

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
So about 2 weeks ago I purchased a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff Scope. I had immediate problems sighting it in and then proceeded to damage the elevation adjustment knobs while trying to correct the issue. Come end result I did not have a working scope/adjustments/ or even magnification with only 3-4 days of having it in hand. Knowing full well I may have to pay for the work to correct the damage I had done I started the process of a return to Nikon. This is how it played out.

First day with problem - contacted Nikon through their technical website to advise them of the damage to the scope.

-Within 24 hours I had a response giving me authorization to ship the scope back to Nikon for them to look at it.

I shipped back the scope with insurance and signature required as requested by Nikon - out of pocket expense $9.

- 72 hours later I had received confirmation via their website that the scope had been taken in and will be looked at by a tech. 24 hours later I received same confirmation by letter in the mail.

Total of 4 days had passed since I sent in the scope and today I reviewed the website to find they have resolved the issues under a full warranty and will be shipping the scope back to me free of charge.

Since the above was today I am waiting on the return of the scope but as of now I am very pleased with the warranty coverage. I know for sure I am the one that damaged a portion of the scope and its nice to not have to pay any additional out of pocket expenses. I will update this thread with the final outcome when I have sighted the scope back in properly.

Just a little review of my experience with Nikon to pass along to others.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a Leupold 1.5-5 that I damaged while packing for a hunting trip. I stoped in to L. L. Bean's, where I purchased it 10 or 15 years eariler. End result I left with a new scope, not bad!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Sloted for return delivery today - I will be back at the range this weekend to give her another try.

So I got the scope back in the mail yesterday. No charge warranty covered.
Everything looks to be up to snuff and I look forward to getting it back out to the range this weekend. Will give range report when completed.

Excellent, I've never had to use their warranty/repair service, but it's good to know they're there if I need them. I love Nikons!

I've had to get camera equipment repaired by Nikon. No problems at all. Fully covered.

Just be careful. Dunno about their shooting stuff, but with cameras, you can buy "grey market" stuff which is Nikon, but imported other than by the Nikon USA distributor. In these case, Nikon will NOT touch the item at all. (unless you can show that you personally bought the product outside the USA)

Just be careful. Dunno about their shooting stuff, but with cameras, you can buy "grey market" stuff which is Nikon, but imported other than by the Nikon USA distributor. In these case, Nikon will NOT touch the item at all. (unless you can show that you personally bought the product outside the USA)

First I had heard of that.. makes sense though. I had purchased mine right at the Kittery Trading Post and sent them the receipt and packaging from KTP :)

I had a similar problem with a Leupold 1.5-5 that I damaged while packing for a hunting trip. I stoped in to L. L. Bean's, where I purchased it 10 or 15 years eariler. End result I left with a new scope, not bad!

Respectfully,

jkelly
I don't know of anyone who stands behind what it sells better than L.L.Bean.

Final Followup on my Nikon Scope.

With the fine help of another board member Sheriff Dudley - I have sighted in my scope on my AR.

I now can sight in a scope properly on my own so I was very pleased with the end result.

The scope is pretty nice so +1 Nikon for a good product and great service.

Return #2 - Ughhh!!!

Ok back to square 1

Scope is dead in the water again - No zoom, cannot sight in properly.
Went through the online return authorization. Ready to be shipped out again.

Starting to lose faith on this scope. I am asking for a brand new replacement not refurb as I don't feel confident any longer.

Last edited:
Update :

Nikon has taken the unit in under warranty - they will not confirm that a new unit will be shipped. They will only confirm there is no payment necessary and that they are looking into the problem.

Back
Top Bottom