Nikon P223 3-9x40

Any experience with this scope? Opinions? Just purchased this and a Vortex Diamondback hp 12x40. Whichever one I don't like, is going back or will be in the classifieds

I can tell you from a lot of hands on experiences the Nikon P-223 Series of scope's are tough, clear and reliable. I have been doing freelance PR/ShootingEvent's with Nikon for almost 5 years now and I have watched 1000's of bullet's fly out under these optic's in just a few days with not one issue. That is why I bought the
P-223 3-9 and 3X scopes for my own AR's. Reliable and a great price, tough to beat in my opinion. I don't do any sales at all, just passing on what I have found to be true after numerous shooting Event's and a few local carbine competition's. I hope this helps you make up your mind? At the end of the day it's what you think will perform the best for your needs.

ScreenShot2014-07-15at100436AM.png

A decent scope for the money. It's not the best piece of glass out there, but very good for it's price point IMO. You could certainlydo a lot worse for the money.

Love mine, didnt throw it on my AR. Ended up with it on a custom built up 10/22 i did. The glass is perfect for the money. Sits a little high on the rifle if i use the matching mounts. I need to get lower mounts so that it sits better.

Nikon has an app thatt will help you learn the hash marks on the sites depending on the ammo your using.

6ad353b30ce68a11160aee3cf1ee7e52.jpg

Love mine, didnt throw it on my AR. Ended up with it on a custom built up 10/22 i did. The glass is perfect for the money. Sits a little high on the rifle if i use the matching mounts. I need to get lower mounts so that it sits better.

Nikon has an app thatt will help you learn the hash marks on the sites depending on the ammo your using.

6ad353b30ce68a11160aee3cf1ee7e52.jpg

Funny I was playing with that app about a week ago....forgot about..
Still like to see OP do a solid side by side. See how repeatable the adjustments are, will it return to zero after playing with the turrets? I have several scopes that will hold their zero for ever but you try adjusting the turrets 5-10 moa when going out to longer distance they will not return to zero. I'm looking for something in this price range
I have one Hawke air max that's pretty darn good for the money and found one small but of lash going back to the left...3 false clicks or so. The scope has windage hold over dots so I don't play with windage much...

Mac, That is one of the great things about the Nikon BDC scope's. You go into Nikon's Spot On Ballistic PRogram and enter your specific shooting data to get the correct distances for the ammo/cal/scope that you are using. I switch back and forth between 90 gr. bullets for deer hunting and 55 gr bullet's for predator's in my .243. One trip to the range to amke adjustment and good to go.
Night. Nice set-up. I have a couple of M/P-Series scope's on bolt action rifles. I would suggest you swapping out the P-Series mounts for something Med. height to get closer to your barrel. Spot On does have a place to enter scope height, mid bore to mid scope.
In case you think Spot On isn't that accurate, I routinely take folks out and depending how how far we are shooting, soda can's at 500 yards is not a tough shot. Makes believer's out of guy's real fast. As with any program, the more accurate the information you have the better your results will turn out.

spoton308-2.png

Mac, That is one of the great things about the Nikon BDC scope's. You go into Nikon's Spot On Ballistic PRogram and enter your specific shooting data to get the correct distances for the ammo/cal/scope that you are using. I switch back and forth between 90 gr. bullets for deer hunting and 55 gr bullet's for predator's in my .243. One trip to the range to amke adjustment and good to go.
Night. Nice set-up. I have a couple of M/P-Series scope's on bolt action rifles. I would suggest you swapping out the P-Series mounts for something Med. height to get closer to your barrel. Spot On does have a place to enter scope height, mid bore to mid scope.
In case you think Spot On isn't that accurate, I routinely take folks out and depending how how far we are shooting, soda can's at 500 yards is not a tough shot. Makes believer's out of guy's real fast. As with any program, the more accurate the information you have the better your results will turn out.

spoton308-2.png

Yes I was playing around with it, just forgot about it. I use Hawke optics BDC program and it works well also combine it with chairgun pro for pellet guns and its great. Hawke you can print cheat sheets that fir into scope lense covers. Chairgun pro for pellets you can print out different critters like squirrels and such on with the crosshairs showing about what the target will look like against the cross hairs at various distances. These programs have help me extend my range of critter control.... from 30 to close to 80 yards with little wind

Last edited:
Tried it out today in NH. IMO, the 55 grain polymer tip that's stated on the turret is crap. I installed it on my build with a Nikon M Series XR mount. I had it sighted in at 100 yards using Remington 77gr Premier Match. Held true all day with minor adjustments when changing ammo types.

When you zero and shoot at 100 yards you won;t see any difference between the ammo you chose and what is suggested by Nikon. The diffeence starts when you reach out a little farther. 200 yards your bullet drops 4 in., 300 14.5,400 33.5 and the 55 gr drops at 200 2.8,300 11.4,400 27.5. It does make a difference, but utilizing Spot On let's you use whatever ammo you want with the BDC reticle.

When you zero and shoot at 100 yards you won;t see any difference between the ammo you chose and what is suggested by Nikon. The diffeence starts when you reach out a little farther. 200 yards your bullet drops 4 in., 300 14.5,400 33.5 and the 55 gr drops at 200 2.8,300 11.4,400 27.5. It does make a difference, but utilizing Spot On let's you use whatever ammo you want with the BDC reticle.

you will get point of impact shifts with different ammo even at 100 yards.... alot maybe maybe not you wont know until you try. I like to know how well the nikon handles the adjustment. If you zero your scope for 100 yards and then go out to 600 if you dial + 15 moa to get your 600 yards shots then addjust it back to 100 yards will it track true. these are rough come ups and should get you close to where you want to be. you will always need to fine tune your scope and account for windage.......im not so good at that. Horrible at judging wind speed at 600 yards.

One of the clubs I belong to has a 200 and 300 and I plan on trying out the BDC utilizing the Spot on app. Like I said earlier, the rifle likes Remington Match 77gr and I punched it in the app along with scope type and ring height. I printed it out and will give it a shot when I make my monthly pilgramage 2 hours north to Pimegewasset Valley.

New to scopes and considering putting the Nikon P-223 3x32 riflescope on my budget flat top AR. Using the P Series mounts, or any other 1" mounts, how well does it clear a F-marked FSB? Thanks

Last edited:
I think so. your more than welcome to try it out. we can meet up and try out my AR with it. I can hit my Range sunday or Tuesday. we can make it quick. up 2 u
at 100yds I hit a 3 inch target easy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom