• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nikon exiting the rifle scope business

There was this

And now this

Nikon has been going down hill for years.
When was the last time they made a groundbreaking leap in camera lens tech?
They were once leaders in camera lenses. Not so much now.
‘Now they’re dumping scopes? What’s next? Chapter 11?

It's not Nikon, it's the camera industry that's going downhill, as customers realize their smartphone is easier to use than their entry-level DSLR or compact camera.
Nikon has been producing great lenses in the last 5 years, such that they have a great lineup for crop and full frame lenses. Their Z-series mirrorless cameras are excellent, but in typical Nikon form it took them forever to get the market. But it's in the entry and mid-level market where everyone is getting crushed.

I'd guess they're cutting the scope business cause it's not profitable for them, they are not a 'woke' company by any stretch. Could even be tariff related.

maybe just dumping a segment of their business that does not turn profit?
Nikon is Mitsubishi IIRC
so its a Japanese company so being PC is not really a factor , Nikon probably makes more money making lenses for others.
Plus would not shock me one bit if nikon rifle scopes are farmed out to China??
I remember when Tasco where made in Japan. Still have the first red dot i ever bought.

Last edited:
I mounted a Nikon 4x-12x on my bolt-action Savage .223 and have had excellent performance. Plenty of light transfer for a bright image, enough magnification for long-range shooting, and BDC greatly assists accurate shot placement. Got mine at Sportmens Warehouse on sale for $140 earlier this year.

Disappointing news. I just bought one of their P-tactical reflex sights and was planning on more soon. I like it better than the Burris Fastfires.

April 2013 comments.

Yeah, the anti-hunter kerfuffle article is from 2013. Six years is an awfully slow time to respond to antis. My bet is that the riflescope market is a small part of Nikon's overall portfolio and it was the one that got the chopping block.

Like others have said, there's plenty of other options out there.

Very disappointing, I have a Monarch3 4-16 from them which is great for the price. Just recently picked up a FX1000 black 6-24 from them for an amazing price on sale. Which might explain it though. Still leaves a slew of other companies like Leupold, Vortex, & Burris though.

Did nikon make any scopes that focus the crosshairs and target together? I have a cheapish sig prism 4x scope, and i can focus one or the other.
I know im abit off topic, but I smell a closeout deal in the near future, if anyone has a nikon they like.

I have a couple Nikon 3-9 Buckmasters. One on a 5.56 MVP which has been fine, and one in a box, warranty replacement after a long fight, that will not stand up to a mini 14. Not sure if it was just a jackass customer "service" guy or Nikons lack of commitment, but until I bitched all over social media I got blown off. They finally replaced it, but about 5 shots in, I think I saw a reticle shift, removed the scope and replaced it with a Leupold.

+1 regarding good glass for the money. Too bad the SJW's with the happy keyboard fingers don't actually assist conservation a fraction of what hunting programs and licensing fees do.

Time was Nikon was the only camera choice of professionals and Canon ran a distant second. I don't know if it was the bayonet lens lock instead of breech ring; glass; features or pros liked the distinctive view finder on the Nikon F. I almost said "original", but the really old viewfinders for the Nikon F used an exterior rather than reflex mirror..

Some of it went downhill when Nikon introduced "E" series lenses built to a cheaper standard (nylon/plastic focusing helix rather than brass/aluminum, etc.) and it left the realm of "Pro gear" and broadened into the consumer sector.

Canon seems to be whomping Nikon with that is thought to be a nicer mirrorless camera, the "L" series pro grade lenses (identified by the red ring). Even so, Sony seems to be at the lead in mirrorless, at the cost of a less extensive system. Now, rather than being seen with the Nikon F, cool is a nice long white telephoto, preferably with an absurd aperture like the 300mm f2.8.

Moderately priced scopes were just another example of Nikon leaving the realm of "highest end only stuff" into broad based consumer goods.

i have a couple of their rimfire scopes on a pair of 10/22's i put together, a 3x9 and a 4x12. i went through several scopes and returned them all until i tried the nikons. considering the low price i like them just fine. too bad that's the end. pretty decent product for the price point. and no, i'm not gonna trash them because of their decision to end the scope line. lol.

They've always had the best glass out there. I've yet to look through any scope that compares to Nikon glass. There's some close seconds but none better.

Thing is, the vast, vast majority of gun owners will NOT spend the money on Nikon glass for a rifle.....it's just the way it is. Consequently, the less expensive scope companies are putting a dent in Nikon's market.....so why fight it?

I doubt they're in Ch. 11 territory, there's lots of other uses for good glass.

They've always had the best glass out there. I've yet to look through any scope that compares to Nikon glass. There's some close seconds but none better.

Thing is, the vast, vast majority of gun owners will NOT spend the money on Nikon glass for a rifle.....it's just the way it is. Consequently, the less expensive scope companies are putting a dent in Nikon's market.....so why fight it?

I doubt they're in Ch. 11 territory, there's lots of other uses for good glass.

‘You’ve never looked through a Nightforce. I’ve never seen a better scope than a Nightforce.
I had to save forever but I got one. Never looked back!

Time was Nikon was the only camera choice of professionals and Canon ran a distant second. I don't know if it was the bayonet lens lock instead of breech ring; glass; features or pros liked the distinctive view finder on the Nikon F. I almost said "original", but the really old viewfinders for the Nikon F used an exterior rather than reflex mirror..

Some of it went downhill when Nikon introduced "E" series lenses built to a cheaper standard (nylon/plastic focusing helix rather than brass/aluminum, etc.) and it left the realm of "Pro gear" and broadened into the consumer sector.

Canon seems to be whomping Nikon with that is thought to be a nicer mirrorless camera, the "L" series pro grade lenses (identified by the red ring). Even so, Sony seems to be at the lead in mirrorless, at the cost of a less extensive system. Now, rather than being seen with the Nikon F, cool is a nice long white telephoto, preferably with an absurd aperture like the 300mm f2.8.

Moderately priced scopes were just another example of Nikon leaving the realm of "highest end only stuff" into broad based consumer goods.

I think Canon is just better at marketing - they pay photographers to use those white telephotos and make people think they dominate the pro scene.

The irony is that Nikon has an amazing lineup of telephoto lenses now. The 80-400, 200-500, new 70-300, new 300mm f/4 - all amazing lenses. But this was after a LONG period of nada - same with the Z series - Nikon has no concept of time to market.

‘You’ve never looked through a Nightforce. I’ve never seen a better scope than a Nightforce.
I had to save forever but I got one. Never looked back!

Actually I have and they too are great scopes, but as you said, you had to save forever. I'll bet that for every one Nightforce sold, Nikon sold twenty or more of their various scopes with very satisfied customers.

The average guy isn't putting a 1500- 4k $ scope on a rifle they might shoot a few times a year.....its just not happening.

Actually I have and they too are great scopes, but as you said, you had to save forever. I'll bet that for every one Nightforce sold, Nikon sold twenty or more of their various scopes with very satisfied customers.

The average guy isn't putting a 1500- 4k $ scope on a rifle they might shoot a few times a year.....its just not happening.

Agree.

There were several viewfinders available for the F bodies: an eyelevel prism, meter prism and waist level finder. Unsure where the external mirror would be.

vc
There were several viewfinders available for the F bodies: an eyelevel prism, meter prism and waist level finder. Unsure where the external mirror would be.
That is called a word-o. I should have said "external meter", not "mirror". The old classic F finder that was in use at the end of the life cycle had an internal meter in the finder (the eye level meter prism). The earlier ones had an exernal photocell:

1575038333340.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom