• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nighthawk Customs 1911 Build - 10mm or 45acp?

So they'll add one for another $120?
That is one of probably 30+ option on that specific gun, yes.

I ordered mine in:

10mm - $100
Ambi safety - $120
Serrated top of slide - $100
Full length guide rod - $50

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page there is a build list with a drop down

What’s another $120 more when you are already $4300 deep?!? 🤣🙄

That is one of probably 30+ option on that specific gun, yes.

I ordered mine in:

10mm - $100
Ambi safety - $120
Serrated top of slide - $100
Full length guide rod - $50

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page there is a build list with a drop down

I don't know shit about custom 1911s or Nighthawk, but couldn't someone order two slides?

Edit: the mags are different, though.

Lol STI is done, they only make 2011s now, and only a limited amount.
Its Staccato now….they rebranded. Staccato has a full line of guns. I have a P Duo and I’m considering the C2. I noodled the trigger on a Nighthawk at Old Glory and for 5k plus there not worth it IMO. Fit and finish is great, but the trigger was no better than my P which was 1/2 the price. If I could afford a 5k gun it would be an Atlas or get the C2 and spend 600 or 700 hundred to have the internals polished and a trigger job.

Last edited:
Its Staccato now….they rebranded. Staccato has a full line of guns. I have a P Duo and I’m considering the C2. I noodled the trigger on a Nighthawk at Old Glory and for 5k plus there not worth it IMO. Fit and finish is great, but the trigger was no better than my P which was 1/2 the price. If I could afford a 5k gun it would be an Atlas or get the C2 and spend 600 or 700 hundred to have the internals polished and a trigger job.
Yes, i know all about it. They rebranded and dumped all but like 5 models of 2011. I'm sure the guns are fine but they got rid of all the stuff I wanted to buy, lol.....

I was the driving force behind bringing STI / Staccato into Old Glory as an entry into higher end 1911s. Sold a ton of them.

With the shift to Staccato the have isolated themselves in a weird spot. They don’t really compete with semi custom Wilson / Nighthawk / etc and the price puts them far above other production guns. They really aren’t a completion gun anymore… I don’t think they are bad guns, they just have a very limited market that will pay for designs that don’t really fit into a common use box and build quality and detail that doesn’t always match up to the price

Last edited:
Been browsing different 1911's and checking out the Rock Island Armory selection... Just for giggles, I picked their "10mm" link and lookie here:

For the cost difference you could get a local gunsmith do a LOT of tweaks to that if needed. I've started sending messages off to see about getting one of their 9mm 1911's (high capacity) from a local shop. They also have a 6" [bull] barrel version (not threaded).

Before I spent $4,300 on a semi custom gun, I'd give Greg Derr a call. I had a full custom 1911 in .45 done for $2500 10 years ago.

Do you reload? If you have the equipment 10mm is an option, if you don't reload stick to a .45

Before I spent $4,300 on a semi custom gun, I'd give Greg Derr a call. I had a full custom 1911 in .45 done for $2500 10 years ago.

Do you reload? If you have the equipment 10mm is an option, if you don't reload stick to a .45
Yup, Dillon Square Deal in 10mm on the way.

Not looking to value shop or anything. Greg makes some nice looking stuff, as do other builders. I have had custom built guns before and this time around I am looking for premium semi custom from a company that will stand by the product they make and a name brand that will hold its value.

Been browsing different 1911's and checking out the Rock Island Armory selection... Just for giggles, I picked their "10mm" link and lookie here:

For the cost difference you could get a local gunsmith do a LOT of tweaks to that if needed. I've started sending messages off to see about getting one of their 9mm 1911's (high capacity) from a local shop. They also have a 6" [bull] barrel version (not threaded).
I’ve always been unsure of how much value starting with an inexpensive 1911 and sending it to a smith would have? If all of your parts have already been fitted, what are they doing with the pistol you purchased other than replace / fit new parts and throw the old stuff away?

Outside of welding and then refitting slide / frame, the tolerances the gun comes with is what it is, no?

I handled a Wilson upgraded Colt 1911, and that was cool but at $2500, too close in price to where I wanted to be

Sounds like you’ve got your mind made up. I’m envious as I’d love to build a 1911 from Nighthawk. I’d add another vote for a long slide. I’ve been wanting one for a while after handling one a while back. Think it will be my next buy.

Not looking to value shop or anything. Greg makes some nice looking stuff, as do other builders. I have had custom built guns before and this time around I am looking for premium semi custom from a company that will stand by the product they make and a name brand that will hold its value.
Have fun, get what you want.

Love my 9mm STI except for the stupid writing on the slide, shoots flat and almost no recoil..

I’ve fondled some Nighthawks and they seem like they would make really nice shooters, congrats on your purchase, now the waiting game.

Attachments

• B50D5570-1BC3-474B-A06C-B08BDFB3191F.jpeg
    B50D5570-1BC3-474B-A06C-B08BDFB3191F.jpeg
    584.9 KB · Views: 21

I see you refer to nighthawk as semi custom and Wilson as the same. What is your definition?

I consider nighthawk to be custom and Wilson semi custom. Nighthawk was formed by Wilson gunsmiths when they stopped being custom.

Wilson requires all parts to be fitted but runs things in a production line. Many gunsmiths touch every gun.

Nighthawk is one gun one gunsmith. Every gun is custom built. Yes they have standard configs to start from but anyone ordering gets exactly what they want built by one person.

They have options at the bottom of each page for each gun and then there are all the other things you can ask them to do.

I am a Wilson and Nighthawk dealer for full disclosure

I see you refer to nighthawk as semi custom and Wilson as the same. What is your definition?

I consider nighthawk to be custom and Wilson semi custom. Nighthawk was formed by Wilson gunsmiths when they stopped being custom.

Wilson requires all parts to be fitted but runs things in a production line. Many gunsmiths touch every gun.

Nighthawk is one gun one gunsmith. Every gun is custom built. Yes they have standard configs to start from but anyone ordering gets exactly what they want built by one person.

They have options at the bottom of each page for each gun and then there are all the other things you can ask them to do.

I am a Wilson and Nighthawk dealer for full disclosure
Both are semi custom. Wilson uses a production line, Nighthawk uses a single gunsmith, but that has nothing to do with “custom”

Having some options = semi custom
Having a gunsmith build you whatever you could think of = custom.

All good, we sell a lot of both at the shop I consult for

Have fun, get what you want.
To be clear, my comment wasn’t intended to be snarky (I just read it again and it reads that way) It’s also not a shot a Greg as it’s reads like I’m saying he would be “value shopping”, I was just dead set on a Nighthawk.

My guess is this is in anticipation of some sort of spin off production line as an entry level to the Nighthawk brand. As it currently stands, I believe all products sit within the "FM" series which makes no sense to brand the entire lineup that way
Nighthawk is using the term on parts to differentiate them from parts that are commonly case (thumb safeties, beavertails, hammers, etc.) or (yikes!!) Metal Injection Molding/MIM. It's the same technique SVI/Infinity has been using for ages assuming that you consider EDM to be a form of machining. It is a good thing, and NIghthawks description of not using "good enough" is, in my opinion, an accurate claim in this particular case.

I have 1911s in both calibers and don't see a great difference in recoil. The 10mm shoots much flatter but you won't see this until you get to 100 yards or more. If you're going to spend that much money, have you considered having one built?

Back
Top Bottom