• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nighthawk blows up

Can someone that read the article tells where the dust cover is on a 1911?
It's the part that says US on it.

55-80277_1_.jpg

I can see that the chamber split, but it looks more like the frame/slide split from the front, not the ejection area. Barrel bushing failed after the chamber ruptured?

The gunsmith should have given the squib parts to the owner. How much more damage was done prying it apart? Pretty amazing that the owner wasn't injured. Even more is that it is being replaced for nothing.

I had, and immediately identified a squib in my Glock G22 from my own handloads. ALWAYS be listening for the mouse fart "pop" vs. your normal "BANG".

Last edited:
Summary version the owner admitted it was a squib.... Nighthawk still replaced gun, long story short. Unknown if anything happened to Armscor fags, although i bet Nighthawk might have gone after them if they had a lot number. My guess is Nighthawk just ate it in the end to help maintain their reputation as being a high-end company willing to go the extra mile for their customers. I mean think about it most people aren't going to be fags like the guy who had the gun blow up and run dog shit ammo in their guns, so it's a cheap PR expense for them in relative terms. I would have done the same thing if I was in Nighthawks position even though the customer is the one who really should be holding the bag of s***. That guy is going to run around and tell a dozen people how Nighthawk saved his ass and it might sell some more guns....

Summary version the owner admitted it was a squib.... Nighthawk still replaced gun, long story short. Unknown if anything happened to Armscor fags, although i bet Nighthawk might have gone after them if they had a lot number. My guess is Nighthawk just ate it in the end to help maintain their reputation as being a high-end company willing to go the extra mile for their customers. I mean think about it most people aren't going to be fags like the guy who had the gun blow up and run dog shit ammo in their guns, so it's a cheap PR expense for them in relative terms. I would have done the same thing if I was in Nighthawks position even though the customer is the one who really should be holding the bag of s***. That guy is going to run around and tell a dozen people how Nighthawk saved his ass and it might sell some more guns....
Many companies might tell you to go after the ammo manufacturer for the cost of repairs.

However, if a customer can prove the ammo was manufactured and not reloaded, I think the right thing to do is to just replace the gun.

Summary version the owner admitted it was a squib....
Nope, Nighthawk told the owner it was a squib (see below).

Nighthawk still replaced gun, long story short. ... My guess is Nighthawk just ate it in the end to help maintain their reputation as being a high-end company willing to go the extra mile for their customers.
That's not the gloss I get from this:

Based on what the customer had told us last night we agreed to replace the pistol at no charge. ... Mark Stone, owner of Nighthawk, questioned him about the possibly of a squib load or an over charge and he told us to his knowledge everything was normal. We believe based on his knowledge he told us the truth. Mark told him that we could not explain what happened based on his answer. We would not disassemble his pistol, we would use it for a display piece.​
This morning pictures and blog content started appearing online and at that point we decided to investigate further due to the photos on the blog showing pictures of the pistol in a different condition than we received. Our customer did not put these pictures online. The pistol that we received had been pried and beat open. The owner of the pistol said a gunsmith had done so to remove the spent case. We did not receive the spent case when the pistol was returned.​
When we broke the pistol down and examined the barrel, we saw clear evidence that a squib load caused the damage. We have taken numerous photos to document these findings.
Last night we wanted to give the customer a response as soon as possible. Mark agreed at that time to replace his pistol free of charge and we will stand by our word, but we wanted to present these facts.​

Comments:
  1. Nighthawk is bragging about how they'll still replace the pistol at their expense even after discovering that, contrary to the shooter's claims, the kaboom was caused by shooting into a squib. Bragging about keeping their word. Not bragging about their industry leading "kaboom your pistol with a squib and we'll replace it for free" guarantee. If they would have volunteered to replace it knowing from the beginning it was a squib, they wouldn't be bragging about keeping their word even after discovering it was a squib.
  2. "We believe based on [the shooter's] knowledge he told us the truth" could be parsed as, "we've discovered that the shooter wouldn't know a squib if one went off in his hot little hands".
  3. The gunsmith didn't beat apart the pistol to remove a piece of brass - he went FR on it to remove the two bullets lodged in the barrel.

Nope, Nighthawk told the owner it was a squib (see below).

That's not the gloss I get from this:

Based on what the customer had told us last night we agreed to replace the pistol at no charge. ... Mark Stone, owner of Nighthawk, questioned him about the possibly of a squib load or an over charge and he told us to his knowledge everything was normal. We believe based on his knowledge he told us the truth. Mark told him that we could not explain what happened based on his answer. We would not disassemble his pistol, we would use it for a display piece.​
This morning pictures and blog content started appearing online and at that point we decided to investigate further due to the photos on the blog showing pictures of the pistol in a different condition than we received. Our customer did not put these pictures online. The pistol that we received had been pried and beat open. The owner of the pistol said a gunsmith had done so to remove the spent case. We did not receive the spent case when the pistol was returned.​
When we broke the pistol down and examined the barrel, we saw clear evidence that a squib load caused the damage. We have taken numerous photos to document these findings.
Last night we wanted to give the customer a response as soon as possible. Mark agreed at that time to replace his pistol free of charge and we will stand by our word, but we wanted to present these facts.​

Comments:
  1. Nighthawk is bragging about how they'll still replace the pistol at their expense even after discovering that, contrary to the shooter's claims, the kaboom was caused by shooting into a squib. Bragging about keeping their word. Not bragging about their industry leading "kaboom your pistol with a squib and we'll replace it for free" guarantee. If they would have volunteered to replace it knowing from the beginning it was a squib, they wouldn't be bragging about keeping their word even after discovering it was a squib.
  2. "We believe based on [the shooter's] knowledge he told us the truth" could be parsed as, "we've discovered that the shooter wouldn't know a squib if one went off in his hot little hands".
  3. The gunsmith didn't beat apart the pistol to remove a piece of brass - he went FR on it to remove the two bullets lodged in the barrel.
Okay what I should have said is that his handgun admitted it... [rofl]

Yeah, they went way over and above, when it turned out the story didn't add up (and there were pictures out there backing up that it didn't add up). Squib, bang, oops.

There's a fail rate possibility of a squib or other problem with ammo with every brand. But the fail rate is really small, like probably near 0.5%.
So I should expect to have a squib every 200 rounds of commercial ammo? [I keed, I keed!]
On this week's episode of Meanwhile, On 1911Forum.com...

I got a bad round out of a box of twenty rounds from Buffalo bore yesterday.

So I sent an Email to them politely informing those people of this. And this is the reply (verbatim) that I received back from Tim Sundles.​
"No, it "indicates" that one round did not fire and if you knew more about firearms (now I'll get the lecture on what an expert you are) you'd know that.................read it if you want to............ FTF - Failure to Fire or ‘MIS-FIRES’"​

They should make car bodies entirely out of Buffalo Bore primers.
  • Parking lot fender-bender? Didn't even dent it.
  • Ran into oncoming traffic while texting on your phone? Not gonna do that again.

On this week's episode of Meanwhile, On 1911Forum.com...
Bonus reply.

PRM residents think they have it bad over the risk of
spent brass getting caught in their boot cleats;
then rolling underneath the driver seat for The Man to discover
during a traffic stop of their teenager.

Suddenly they're doing hard time for
Unlicensed Possession of Ammunition Components.

Well try living the Arizona lifestyle for a while:

Personally, I have had a couple of "fail to fire" rounds over the years. I just eject them, throw them into a sage bush so my horses don't pick them up in a a hoof ...​

Horse gets all stampy and the dud fires...[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom