• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nightforce benchrest model scopes opinions

slipknot

NES Member
I have an opportunity to buy a used(not very) Nightforce Benchrest model scope. They sell for $1286 at opticsplanet, it is the 8-32 power but this one has a different reticle than available now so I am not sure which one it is. He does not have the box or the manual (Manual can be downloaded) Asking $950 for it with the rings seems kind of fair but without the box and, I'd be more comfortable at a lower price than that. I have read that they hold their value very well. I don't know how to tell if the rings are actual Nightforce rings, they should be I would think. The scope says made in Japan on it. I have read that some people reviewing them have stated theirs said made in China, I am not sure how that is possible. Aren't these an American company? The zeroing setting needs a tool, unlike with Vortex you just lift it up, so that is less convienient.
Does anyone know how I can find more info about this reticle, it is not the NP-R2 I would prefer, or the NP-200 either. It has crosshairs and also underneath it lists numbers with circles next to them, like 400 600 800 and the circles are different sizes, sorry about my crappy description. Edit, it seems to be a discontinued reticle, the NP-1RR
I appreciate it for any help, thanks

Last edited:
I have not seen that reticle but did get to try several high end scopes last summer.
When ever someone wants to sell a used quality piece I try to find out why.
I tried a few nightforce, leupold,Zeiss,sightron, March, Bushnell,
Only thing I didn't like about the night force bench scope was no side focus. When I'm prone I can't reach the front bell to adjust if needed. Had the NP2 reticle which I liked.

I don't know the facts but from a bit of poking around nightforce started in Australia, made in Japan now has a base here in the USA. I also ran across a tie bit that some workers left the Japan plant that builds the scopes for Nightforce
To start March scopes.....
Anyway I'm sure there are models or parts out sourced and them finally assembly here in the USA.

Japan makes some nice stuff especially lenses. I ended up with a sightron SIII 8x32x56 (made in Japan and Philippines)it fell with in my budget of 1000$ or less with mount.

If you like the scope and reticle make a offer you feel comfortable with. Here's some discontinued ret.
http://nightforceoptics.com/discontinued/reticles

Last edited:
This is the discontinued reticle

I also would have preferred the NP-R2 Mac.

I think I can live with the no side focus for the parallax, it is that reticle that bothers me

The owner did not like that to zero it, it needs a tool and is not like what he is used to with the Vortex. Also hard to read fine print

I will take another look and see if I can get it for less.
I know it is quality and at 32X I may not even need a spotting scope, it looks good at 300 yards

Glad you found one you like Mac

Attachments

• NP-1RR.png
    NP-1RR.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 11
I would say if you don't like the reticle don't bother unless you can send it back to nightforce and change it ...that's only good if you still come under a new priced one.... it took me almost a year to decide as I dont like most reticles

Back
Top Bottom