• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Night Vision experts needed

For those interested,

If you’re on Facebook check out
“Night Vision Users Group 2.0”
Facebook group
Lots of good info here as well as the typical GD bullshit.

On YouTube there are some really good informative videos that were pot out by Sam Houston of TNVC. He details some specs and what they mean and talks about some pros and cons.

Mr. Guns and Gear has a good video about the pros and cons of using a monocular (PVS-14) vs going duals.
Mono vs duals video

Also on YouTube if you look up to poster “NITEWALKER”, I believe he is another TNVC guy. Possibly Will.

There are some good companies somewhat locally that can be looked into for more info as well.

Low light Inovations is in Rhode Island,
Goonin Gear is in MA,
Nocturn Industries is in New Hampshire
Lots of good resources.

Some shitty pics through my phone.
CA558DFA-D049-4EB8-86D1-4B9F9A48241A.jpeg 406909D6-253D-465F-86D2-2F90C788986E.jpeg 6BD613EC-84B1-420F-8448-57555F731144.jpeg

i guess what most people wait for is when will finally all that gear sent to ukraine will start spilling out in local private sales.
dunno if i care of monoculars or binos - but a good scope is always a handy thing to own. does not seem to be any, yet, though.

I’d love to thermal overlay for my PVS 14’s but I have the ability to just clip my thermal into my Headgear. I could also be detached and put on my weapons mount on my rifle it’s a pretty good set up…

Only thing is it’s a little screwy seeing is a nightvision provides around picture of the thermal provide the square picture… It’s not that big of a deal just takes a minute for you to adjust to it because it looks funny.

I’d love to thermal overlay for my PVS 14’s but I have the ability to just clip my thermal into my Headgear. I could also be detached and put on my weapons mount on my rifle it’s a pretty good set up…

Only thing is it’s a little screwy seeing is a nightvision provides around picture of the thermal provide the square picture… It’s not that big of a deal just takes a minute for you to adjust to it because it looks funny.
I've been thinking of getting a FLIR breach to bridge with a pvs14, seems like a good budget way of getting both

Overlay is cool, but largely unobtainium for most. For now.

I still use a flir pocket thermal monocular, on patrols etc it is super useful for scanning open/linear danger areas prior to crossing.

Out here in the desert thermals effectiveness is pretty limited once it gets hot. Human body, 98⁰, 100⁰ ambient temp at night plus all the rocks that have been baking in the sun all day hold heat all night, you can actually hide fairly well from most thermal imagers.

I forget what they call it but you can turn your PVS 14 into a more of a binocular shut up it’s more compact.. But you lose the ability to break it off and share with a friend. I like to think when you use an IR in nightvision it’s a team sport that’s how you truly own the night

I forget what they call it but you can turn your PVS 14 into a more of a binocular shut up it’s more compact.. But you lose the ability to break it off and share with a friend. I like to think when you use an IR in nightvision it’s a team sport that’s how you truly own the night

The trick is to not make friends with broke dick poors

I've been thinking of getting a FLIR breach to bridge with a pvs14, seems like a good budget way of getting both
Whatever your plans are for nvg/thermal setup, it is not a budget way. Just get a PVS14. It is pretty awesome though.

Above:

AGM PVS-14 WP
Flir Breach PTQ136
Integrated Components Dual Mount from Mod Armory
WIlcox G33 , i think
HHV helmet
Otto Noizebarrier Headset TAC

It takes alot of practice to get the overlay working and you do have to spend time making fine tuned adjustments.
It is heavy and I am still working on how to counterbalance it better, just have a batterypack to run the FLIR.

It was expensive and I think you can get a lower quality RNVG, mount, and helmet for the same price.
Im working on a higher quality RNVG or BNVD setup.

I'll try and answer any questions you guys have.

Whatever your plans are for nvg/thermal setup, it is not a budget way. Just get a PVS14. It is pretty awesome though.

Above:

AGM PVS-14 WP
Flir Breach PTQ136
Integrated Components Dual Mount from Mod Armory
WIlcox G33 , i think
HHV helmet
Otto Noizebarrier Headset TAC

It takes alot of practice to get the overlay working and you do have to spend time making fine tuned adjustments.
It is heavy and I am still working on how to counterbalance it better, just have a batterypack to run the FLIR.

It was expensive and I think you can get a lower quality RNVG, mount, and helmet for the same price.
Im working on a higher quality RNVG or BNVD setup.

I'll try and answer any questions you guys have.
I have a pvs14 and helmet set up already, so just looking into a thermal now. I've used my friends breach and it worked well just carrying it. I'm not saying bidget to mean cheap, but to get the best value for what I'm spending

Im looking mostly for coyote hunting

I have a pvs14 and helmet set up already, so just looking into a thermal now. I've used my friends breach and it worked well just carrying it. I'm not saying bidget to mean cheap, but to get the best value for what I'm spending

Im looking mostly for coyote hunting
I have the Breach mounted to a Team Wendy lid (non-ballistic), using a Wilcox mount. I have an external battery mounted using this FLIR Thermosight PRO / BREACH Thermal Remote Battery (TRB) - Night Vision Home

That Breach is so handy, I keep it at the ready at all times. If I could afford another, I'd buy a spare.

2ae5df9a2e2ba1bd9362c85b0820274b80cb4ae378dbece9ff11edb663bfb22b.jpg

Hat tip: Instapundit reader Critter

Reap-Ir looks good but expensive.
It is.. I went a little cheaper with my used IR patrol..
The downside to mine is zero and the thing out is a complete bitch. And it doesn’t have presets I don’t think so you can’t just send it to multiple firearms..
Since you can use it on a rifle or on a helmet sometimes it’s upside down. You can flip it. But I wish on the side of it where the selector was it had that f***ing elevation and windage marker. Cause you have to guess and move it a mile before you figure out which way it goes. You’re always move it the wrong way. So I just leave it zeroed on one firearm or use it handheld or on a helmet

So, I need to start budgeting, and I’m completely new to this.
Initial digging shows different brands of pvs-14s exisit. What’s the collectives recommendation? I would assume binos over mono.

So, I need to start budgeting, and I’m completely new to this.
Initial digging shows different brands of pvs-14s exisit. What’s the collectives recommendation? I would assume binos over mono.
You need to realize that NV isn’t just a device you buy and play with and your done but it’s just one part of a system.

-NV (single or duals)

-How will you use them? Helmet to most common but not the only way.

-Need a mount to attach to helmet.

-Need an adapter to go from the mount to the NV device.

-What will they be used for? Are you walking around stargazing or shooting?
If shooting now it brings in optics and IR lasers and IR lights.

-If shooting, what distances are we talking? Anything 75+ yards is going to make most civilian IR illuminators suck with a few exceptions like the D2 and MAWL.

-Lasers and lights now bring in mounting options and switches.

Your budget and needs will dictate what kind of gear you should buy. Even with lower quality/budget gear it’s difficult to get into for under 3-4k for a PVS-14 and related kit.

Last edited:
You need to realize that NV isn’t just a device you buy and play with and your done but it’s just one part of a system.

-NV (single or duals)

-How will you use them? Helmet to most common but not the only way.

-Need a mount to attach to helmet.

-Need an adapter to go from the mount to the NV device.

-What will they be used for? Are you walking around stargazing or shooting?
If shooting now it brings in optics and IR lasers and IR lights.

-If shooting, what distances are we talking? Anything 75+ yards is going to make most civilian IR illuminators suck with a few exceptions like the D2 and MAWL.

-Lasers and lights now bring in mounting options and switches.

Your budget and needs will dictate what kind of gear you should buy. Even with lower quality/budget gear it’s difficult to get into for under 3-4k for a PVS-14 and related kit.
I’m leaning towards a helmet and mostly stargazing to start. Then working my way to weapon mounted shit. I figured starting 6k for helmet and nods, then see where the path leads from there.

I’m leaning towards a helmet and mostly stargazing to start. Then working my way to weapon mounted shit. I figured starting 6k for helmet and nods, then see where the path leads from there.
$6k will get you there, with binos if you bargain shop the used market.

Back
Top Bottom