• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Night Vision 2017

Just played a bit with my first thermal, ATN Thor HD 383 1.25-5x. For the money, this thing seems to be The Sh1t. I'd really wanted to go with the 640 flavor, but didn't want to risk that much ching on my first try. I also wanted to wait and see how the new stuff from other manufacturer's pans out -- there's lot of new stuff coming out this season. So, I bought the "budget" scope.

I had reservations about how this thing would work, with regard to image quality, but am more than pleased with its performance for my intended use (targeting predators, shots inside 50 yards). The detail in the image at short range is remarkable. With this Thor HD 384, the frame rate is not going to provide a very sharp image for tracking moving targets. But, the focus doesn't get as wonky as their IR digital night vision (X-Sight) can when panning, as sharpness is regained in just a moment. For the panning I'm likely to do, it seems fine. The depth of field with this unit doesn't seem too shallow either, as detail can be discerned within an acceptable range of distances that I'd likely be working with. This a heaps better than the X-Sight, which has a tight range of focus.

One small nit to pick - the diopter adjustment is just a bit on the loose side for my liking. It seems like it might be too easy to shift it accidentally. Another nit is the lens cap - the thing's tiny and not too easy to grasp. I would like a lens cap that was easier to deal with in the field. Also, the button controls could be improved upon, for use with a gloved hand.

So far I've only played around with it. I'm hoping to get it sighted in, and into the field soon.

Still 2k, ouch, but yes far less than they used to be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

If I didn't need to dance around the issue of using an IR illuminator in MA, I'd be fine with the X-Sight, which I paid under $500 for. The X-Sight requires learning a few tricks to get the best out of it, but it does work very well with its included IR illuminator. Without IR, it's almost useless. BUT, it is also a day scope. While it may not be the best choice for a targeting solution, it is fun to use. And, it does work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

In all honesty 2K for the features on that is pretty damn good. Looks like a good entry level thermal scope to me.

Pupchow can you post a shot video from it at some point?

Glad to hear you like it, it definitely takes a few times to get the hang of how you get it adjusted based on the ambient temperatures. I'm not sure how that scope is set up, but if it has a manual calibration mode use that over the automatic mode which will constantly adjust as you scan and it's annoying.

Wait till you see what it's like with the call on and you see something 50 yards in the woodline, you'll be amazed. You have to keep in mind thermal is for detection primarily and identification secondarily, and boy to they work for detection.

re: ATN Thor HD

Got it to the range, and got it sighted in at 25 yards without a problem, using small squares of aluminum foil taped to a target. But as I was setting up at 50 yards, the sun had dipped low enough that I couldn't get a precise target acquisition. I'll have to go back for another session, to confirm settings. BTW, the aluminum foil trick works mint, when there's any sunlight hitting the target. Next time, I'm going to put the foil squares at the extremes of the target, and use those to align the crosshairs with. That might be more precise than attempting to cover the center of the target with the center of the crosshairs. I'll try it either way, and compare results.

re: NUC. You can force it with one button press, without having to navigate through the menus, if you configure that option. Some users recommend nucking it anytime the zoom is changed, to get a better image. I tried it at the range, and didn't notice any difference in the image. Viewing over the horizon, and back, it adjusts very quickly to the changes.

re: vid/image cap
Haven't messed with that yet.

...using small squares of aluminum foil taped to a target. But as I was setting up at 50 yards, the sun had dipped low enough that I couldn't get a precise target acquisition. I'll have to go back for another session, to confirm settings. BTW, the aluminum foil trick works mint, when there's any sunlight hitting the target. Next time, I'm going to put the foil squares at the extremes of the target, and use those to align the crosshairs with.

I have good results using reflective thumbtacks with the illuminator on with my NOD. That is until you get a bullseye. You can often find them in sporting goods stores. Hunters use them to mark their trail for getting in and out of the woods in the dark.

Ill be getting into some of these optics soon... the prices have almost reached reasonable..

whats the problem it IR illuminators in MA?

whenever my next round of tax stamps arrives and the hosts.. il be buying some nice optics.
Im kindof holding out for nightvision/IR hybrid

Last edited:
Ohh, ok its a hunting reg. With MA you never know aince everything is illegal.

Im not an expert trapper or anything but i took the class and was sprised to learn theres only 2 allowable traps for a non Comercial Permit.Also like i said earlier when in doubt assume its illegal in MA.

this threads not healthy for me at all.. i dont have that kind of money this year..when the fusion (hybrid) prices come down they'll also be smaller..I'd be happy with the ones they have now if i could justify the price..

this is some real advance stuff..the holy grail of optics IMO

Last edited:
I've hunted pig with that scope. It's what I used when I started. I upgraded to the 640 version and then last year upgraded to the IR-Hunter Mk3 60mm. It's got 60Hz refresh and looks amazing.

You're starting what could be an expensive journey. Good luck!

Ventured out at 10pm with the Thor HD 384 last night for its first long distance use. No coyotes sighted, but I was easily able to detect & ID a rabbit @ 100 yards. And if I'd had the video recording enabled, I would've captured the owl attacking my e-caller.

I got to spend some time with the new Trijicon/IR Defense scopes this spring, i was completely blown away. We were using them to hunt hogs in Georgia, in the deep woods canopy on dark nights nightvision even with Surefire or Insight IR illuminators we having a hard time identifying targets before they heard us and assed out of the area. The pigs we were hunting are used to being hunted so the first wind of men creeping up on them they get they are out. Once we had eyes on the nightvision and ATPIAL combo was as brutally effective as always, but for that initial location of them the thermal was a must have.

I just blew my wad on dual tube nods, but im seriously considering a thermal scout monocular for "hunting" because it takes the target location and ID capability of one man and ups it to AH64 Longbow capability.

Now if we could only get one mounted on the Jew's drone.

Im glad you bumped this thread, i couldnt find it. I thought it was under the equipment catagory.
DJI has dones now with FLIR sensors on them they are epic for scouting hog.

I ended up PRE ordering a FLIR thermosight pts233. 1930 shipped from optics planet.

Snuck up on a rabbit the other night, using the Thor HD as a scanner. I have the focus adjusted for 30-40 yards, so this video isn't as sharp. Just playing with different color palettes.

Cat came running inside last night with her tail all fatted up in Condition Red. Scanned the perimeter with the thermal, and found this guy lounging in a hemlock just off of our deck.

@pupchow - I want to revive this thread to see how you still like the Thor line and what other people might be using
Still using the ATN Thor HD 384, and have not added another thermal riflescope. The effective range of any gun I'm using (.22LR, shotgun, 9mm pistol) is fairly matched to the performance of the scope - 50 yards. Would I like something better? Sure would. Just not ready to drop $3k+ for one.

I do have a FLIR PTQ136 monocular for scanning & recovery, which I have helmet mounted. FLIR has since gotten out of the consumer market. I'm hoping this PTQ136 holds up, because I really like it.

ATN now has a few more digital thermal scopes, with faster refresh, improved sensor and display. ATN also released a clip-on model, which mounts ahead of a day scope. They've also got a wide selection of refurbed scopes available. Pulsar has some better offerings now, too.

Back
Top Bottom