• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Night Stand" Pistol locations/Storage question

Like most I have my cache safely stored in a remotely located safe. As of late I want to keep a pistol in a secondary location in the event I hear something or someone go creak in the night. I'm not looking for your secret spot, just would like to hear some options for legally storing a pistol close at hand. I was thinking of the MicroVault , but my wife is not to keen on having it bolted to the top of the dresser..........

Last edited:
There are a variety of bedside gunsafss for a single pistol. Personally, I recommend against the biometrics. They have mostly good reviews, and if "swiped" properly the recognition is good. Unfortunately, slow and steady doesn't usually work when combined with adrenalin... I keep mine in the nightstand drawer. microvault by Gunsafe is a pushbutton style that works well. The keys beep when pushed, but the sound can be turned off.

One suggestion I have heard of if you prefer to save the expense of a safe Is to put your gun between the mattress and box spring before getting in bed. Your weight on the mattress will prevent a child from getting it while you sleep, and it's right there when you need it. If you have to roll off the bed to the floor in a panic situation, it will be right there at eye level for an easy grab.

Since you didn't mention children...

Leave it out on the table, next to a quality flashlight your bedside table. Put a fully charged, cell phone on your wife's side and leave the phone on with the ringer off.
I'm presuming you have an alarm system and if you don't, you should.

When I said that's what I did (when I lived in Ma.) it threw the sheeple here into a hissy fit. Martha's minions are NOT going around doing 3:00AM "safe storage" checks executed by SWAT teams with no knock warrants.[rolleyes][laugh]

Your pistol will not jump up in the middle of the night and kill everyone in the room, the world will not end and IF something really does go bump in the night you'll have one less thing to worry about.

You have a choice comply with the letter of the law or choose to survive a home invasion.

Like most I have my cache safely stored in a remotely located safe. As of late I want to keep a pistol in a secondary location in the event I hear something or someone go creak in the night. I'm not looking for your secret spot, just would like to hear some options for legally storing a pistol close at hand. I was thinking of the MicroVault , but my wife is not to keen on having it bolted to the top of the dresser..........

There's nothing forcing you to bolt it down. It's perfectly legally either way.

Ken

Don't volunteer any unneccessary information.

An acquaintance of mine, an older gentleman, had some rifles stolen from his house and called the police. Everything was going okay until he told one of the responding officers that at least they didn't get the loaded pistol in his nightstand. Things went downhill from there. He FINALLY got his license back, but it was a long struggle.

Did I remember to say "Don't volunteer any unneccessary information."?

I would definatly consider getting a small simplex lock box and leaving it on the nightstand, unlocked.

That way you can say your pistol was locked up.

Keep your pistols locked up when you are not home and when you are home keeps however many you want hidden but unlocked for quick access. If you are home it can be argued you had direct control. What you could also do is get a lock box, put said box in the night stand and while your home leave the box with the gun in it unlocked.

I would definatly consider getting a small simplex lock box and leaving it on the nightstand, unlocked.

That way you can say your pistol was locked up.

This. I just keep a small gun in my pocket when I am sleeping. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is under my direct control so no laws are violated. A wall mounted shotgun rack next to the bed is nice also.

You can get anyone of these http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/microvault.html and just keep it under the bed. If it is found you are going to be out 150 plus the price of the gun, but just about anything that can be accessed quickly for HD can also be stolen pretty easily too.

I have 2 of these and also the next model up with the night light that goes on when opened. They open quicker than anything else on the market in my opinion. Very easy and the best if you have children in your house and need the security with fast access.
They also come with a cable to secure around the bed post or to stay in compliance.....

Last edited:
My CCW stays in my gunvault on my nightstand at night, comes with me the next morning. Someone busts in when I 'm not home and sees the vault they can carry it off but it's empty.

http://www.the-backup.com/ and I don't use a 28" shot gun. I have a Mossberg Cruiser.

From that website:

Don't Miss Your Target
The shotgun provides a wide spray. With a handgun you need to be a great shot, in the dark, laying in your bed. And, if you miss the bullet penetrates walls and could hurt parties in other rooms or houses. That is why many experts will tell you the best weapon is a Shotgun.

This. I just keep a small gun in my pocket when I am sleeping. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is under my direct control so no laws are violated. A wall mounted shotgun rack next to the bed is nice also.

Nice try, but you can't be asleep and have direct control.

Will you ever get busted for this? NO! But the point is, sleeping with it in your pocket (I've done the same) is NOT correct storage.

From that website:
I read that and was thinking these guys are straight up lying to sell their product. I don't like it because if someone breaks into your house a burglar doesn't even have to look for the gun it's sticking out in the open and could wait for you to get home and they have a loaded shotgun waiting to use on you. Even just keeping the shotgun under the bed would be a better idea at least they would have to search a little bit for it. I keep my shotgun in a locking steel cabinet in my closet and just lock it when I leave the house to meet storage requirements.

Do you know if this can be mounted onto a wooden shelf? Also can it accommodate more than 1 decent sized gun? Thanks!

Yes, there are holes in the bottom that come plugged, but you can unplug them for mounting.

I keep my G19 in there and it could easily fit another regular sized pistol.

Don't Miss Your Target
The shotgun provides a wide spray. With a handgun you need to be a great shot, in the dark, laying in your bed. And, if you miss the bullet penetrates walls and could hurt parties in other rooms or houses. That is why many experts will tell you the best weapon is a Shotgun.

Try to pattern a shotgun at 10 to 30 feet. there is NO WAY it produces a "wide spray"! Try it. You WILL have to aim!

From that website:

Don't Miss Your Target

Try to pattern a shotgun at 10 to 30 feet. there is NO WAY it produces a "wide spray"! Try it. You WILL have to aim!

Yea, that website is full of shit.

Always consult real world testing for penetration and shot spread information:

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

The Box of Truth said:
Lessons learned:
1. Notice that the #4 and #1 Buck penetrated 6 boards. In previous tests, 9mm, .45 ACP, and M-193 out of an AR all penetrated all 12 boards.

So, it seems that these loads do not "over-penetrate" as much as some have led us to believe.

The 00 Buck penetrated 8 boards, but was stopped by the 9th. Still not as much penetration as the pistol or rifle loads.

The slug penetrated all 12 boards.

2. Once again, please notice the size of the entrance spreads....2 1/2" to 3 1/2". Therefore, anyone that says, "With a shotgun, you don't even have to aim. Just point it in the general area of the bad guy, and you can't miss", does not know what they are talking about.

You can very easily miss with a shotgun. You must aim to hit your target.

3. The slugs were "bad" penetrators. By that, I mean that they will penetrate several interior walls. If you have loved ones in your home, consider this as you select your home defense weapon.

4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.

Frankly, I was surprised that the shotgun did not penetrate more than it did. I had been led to believe that they penetrated more than a .223 rifle or a 9mm or .45 ACP. Such was not the case.

Amazing what you can learn by doing a little testing.

Birdshot as a Defense Load
I have had a lot of questions, summed up as follows: How effective is birdshot (#4, #6, #8, etc.) as a defense load?

We have done tests with various birdshot loads. Birdshot penetrated through two pieces of drywall (representing one wall) and was stopped in the paper on the front of the second wall. The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.

A policeman told of seeing a guy shot at close range with a load of 12 gauge birdshot, and was not even knocked down. He was still walking around when the EMTs got there. It was an ugly, shallow wound, but did not STOP the guy. And that is what we want... to STOP the bad guy from whatever he is doing. To do this, you must have a load that will reach the vitals of the bad guy. Birdshot will not do this.

In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs.

Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job.

But doesn't 00 Buck penetrate too much in interior walls to be a "safe" load in a home?
Yes, it does penetrate a lot. But any load that is going to be effective will need to penetrate walls to have enough power to penetrate bad guys. If our only concern was to be sure we didn't penetrate walls, we would use BB guns. However, BB guns will not stop bad guys.

Therefore, we must use loads that will STOP bad guys, and this means that they will also penetrate walls. So, be sure you hit the bad guy and do not shoot into walls where loved ones are on the other side.

When To Use Birdshot
A friend of AR15.com sends this:

"I saw a gunshot victim, about 5' 10" and 200 lbs, taken to the operating room with a shotgun wound to the chest. He was shot at a range of six feet at a distance of just over the pectoralis muscle. He was sitting on his front porch and walked to the ambulance. We explored the chest after x-rays were taken. The ER doc had said 'buckshot' wound, but this was obviously not accurate.

It was # 6 shot. There was a crater in the skin over an inch in diameter. When the shot hit the level of the ribs, it spread out about five inches. There was ONE pellet that had passed between the ribs and entered the pericardium, but not damaged the heart at all. As you say, 'use birdshot for little birds.'"

I have 3 safes in my home...one in my locked gun room in the basement, where i do my reloading etc.....and 2 in my bredroom, one is for personal effects, because i feel i shouldnt have to pay a banking institution to keep my stuff safe, and the other is bolted to the inside of my bedside nightstand where i keep my personal carry and home defense weapon ..... When it's not on my side,it's locked in the safe, and when i go to bed, it's on the nightstand with a flashlight next to me.......otherwise i'm in control of my firearms at all times......

I keep my microvault bolted to the floor next to my bed. Its easy access and is covered out of sight by the bed skirt. It holds up to 3 of my most common carry guns that I rotate through depending on attire for the day. Of course you have to get by the alarm, dog and my screaming wife first before you get to me and the guns!

My ccw sits on my bedstand. Or the glock, randomly. I have an american bulldog though, so not really worried about someone coming in at night -- its mainly so I can easily grab it and wear it when I get dressed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk and Red Bulls

I read that and was thinking these guys are straight up lying to sell their product. I don't like it because if someone breaks into your house a burglar doesn't even have to look for the gun it's sticking out in the open and could wait for you to get home and they have a loaded shotgun waiting to use on you. Even just keeping the shotgun under the bed would be a better idea at least they would have to search a little bit for it. I keep my shotgun in a locking steel cabinet in my closet and just lock it when I leave the house to meet storage requirements.

You are missing the point. You use this when you go to bed. Not when you're out and about.

Back
Top Bottom