• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nics

A friend just received his LTC renewal in Mass 4 weeks ago. He made 2 separate gun purchases at 2 separate gun shops approx a week apart. One week later he went to purchase another firearm at the shop he purchased the first gun at. His first 2 purchases he got a delay... one cleared the next day the other cleared in 1 hour... his third attempt he received a DENIAL. If his LTC was approved for renewal in January 2019 and was cleared to make 2 separate purchases why was his 3rd purchase denied. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. He has since sent an appeal and a request for a UPIN to the FBI. Absolutely nothing has changed in his world regarding infractions with the law in any way. Very mind boggling to say the least.

Thanks in advance for any input that may shed some light on this subject !!!

For starters his ltc status has nothing to do with a NICS check. His LTC is state concern......the NICS is NATIONAL instant check system.

Something's up.......his name is similar to someone that is pp. He'll probably need a upin.

Since he received a denial, I dought a UPIN request is going to go far. Wait and see what the response to the appeal is. I and anyone else here would only be guessing as to why he was denied. Let us know what the rest of the story is.

I understand the LTC is state... but doesn't your local PD do a nics check at time of app or renewal of your LTC ??. I guess that's confusing to him is getting 2 separate proceeds then a denial. Thanks for your reply

Absolutely no convictions and or felony arrests... had his LTC since 2008 and never had an issue with purchases. Guess it's a waiting game now on an answer from the FBI

This answer tells plenty. Misdemeanor (carrying over 2 years) arrest that shouldn't be a conviction but probably is mistakenly entered somewhere as one.
The fact that there was a delay suggests that some functionary had to manually review the info that popped up, which would be consistent with the person on the third purchase attempt reading the record interpreting it differently.

Another possibility is he is a victim of ID theft. If somebody was stopped in another state, provided a name and dob ss# etc. That info would be used and then would be entered into the system. Person is a no show for court or does not pay the ticket, then a warrant and criminal charges would be fed into the system.

Back
Top Bottom