• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NICS requiring address for delayed and denied

ATF Open letter to Massachusetts FFL's....which seems to be current?
  1. HavethetransfereecompleteandsignATFForm4473,FirearmsTransaction Record.
  2. VerifytheidentityofthetransfereethroughaGovernment-issuedphoto identification (for example, a driver’s license).
  3. ContactNICS.Youwillgeteithera“proceed,”“denied”or“delayed”response from the system. If you get a “delayed” response and there is no additional response from the system, you may transfer the firearm after three business days have elapsed. Of course, you must still comply with any waiting period requirements under State law.
  4. IfyouhaveinitiatedaNICScheckforaproposedfirearmstransaction,butthe transfer of the firearm is not completed, you must retain the Form 4473 in your records for a period of not less than 5 years. If the transfer is completed, the Form 4473 must be retained for at least 20 years.
Yes, this is still the case. Just emphasize the "may" in "you may transfer the firearm". I believe the only change that will come into effect with the NICS Denial Notification Act of 2022 is that, when the FFL goes to get the status of a delay, they will have to provide the transferee's address. Additionally, the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act extends the wait time for those under 21 to 10 days and adds a check of their juvenile records.

It goes by the FFLs "business days". So potentially your FFL is closed weekends, or interprets it strangely, but that isn't outlandish...

Some FFL's, either because they are big corporations with "safety minded" policies, or for a small guy because they feel they got burned with a denial after a default proceed somehow (ie such covered by the news), may have their own way of doing it that might include a buffer of additional time, if you are a regular customer, or not transferring without an actual non-default proceed.

Usually you do not pay until you can take the gun, so if you dislike a policy or wait you can just walk. Some folks walk upon the inconvenience of a delay. Any FFL should refund you with no BS up until they complete the transfer.

I'd guess most likely they are being stupid at NICs and hungup over that charge, investigating, and hopefully they realize and just proceed you - but no way to know what the hell they are up to.

Add: they have your address now, hide your dogs.
He's digging fast as he can...lol 7293050B-AE88-41F3-8CA0-E23410EB143F.jpeg

Nearly half of US states offer NICS-exempt licenses, either as a feature of the regular license or on an "enhanced" LTC.

NICS has no visibility or link into active or expired clearance. There is speculation that some database accessible to NICS may have a flag set during initial or re-investigation.
When I lived in AZ we also had this. Coming back to NH sucked after having the "sign and drive" option by having a CCW. Well worth the few dollars a year (avg. of 5 year license). I could travel to the farthest reaches of the state, and as long as a dealer was still open walk out in 5 minutes with whatever.

I asked on this board years ago if other NH gun owners would be interested, and was just flamed by everyone worrying about it. Maybe now if they keep getting burned by the existing system, they'd be more open to it. I'm sick of delays (due the NH check system, not because of anything in my background). It's to the point where I am planning on moving to a NICS-exempt state when I retire mainly for that benefit.

Back
Top Bottom