• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NICS processing time getting weird long?

Apparently a 4473 I put in for a .22 bolt rifle took more than 30 days and is still "delayed", so I had to file a new one... the shop policy says no transfer without a hard yes from NICS, so I'm kinda stuck.

I did not expect this to happen. I expected delays, being non-citizen and all that, but last time(Late Nov 2020) it took a couple of days to clear.

Does anyone else notice any change in processing time recently?

Apparently a 4473 I put in for a .22 bolt rifle took more than 30 days and is still "delayed", so I had to file a new one... the shop policy says no transfer without a hard yes from NICS, so I'm kinda stuck.

I did not expect this to happen. I expected delays, being non-citizen and all that, but last time(Late Nov 2020) it took a couple of days to clear.

Get a refund and go to a shop without terrible policies. Any decent shop will release it after the 3 day required wait on a delay. Don't spend money at shops that refuse to follow the law and add their own nonsense.

Did you already pay for the rifle? If not, walk away, fine a new FFL. If so, fight the FFL for a 100% refund if they don't transfer after 3 days after a delay (law) fight them hard for it. Then out them. Then find a new FFL.

I think that they need to clear you with ICE. Maybe ICE melted. Anyway, the dealer can do the transfer after the specified time. Just the dealer's store policy to wait for a "Proceed". Out the dealer. Jack.
This times a million!!!!! “A hard yes from the dealer”.....he can get his face f***ed and find a new line of work!

I just love a gun store that operates on a Walmart type policy. I would never return to that store ever again

In NICS you only stay in Delayed status for 3 business days(Brady transfer date), then it goes to "Open". I've never had anyone go from Open status to Proceed - usually the inquiry just disappears after a couple months.

Find a better shop.

There is one potential benefit to the gun buyer if the FFL does not transfer upon default proceed, which may be more desirable (if at all of course, would be a fringe personal preference) in normal times where checks are actually getting done at a reasonable pace..

Say you own 82 guns and maybe out of those a few are something unusual, ie NFA, or fall under some technicality, like maybe even just pistol braces. Then you decide you want this bolt action .22..

If that delay comes back as a denial, which can happen, and for whatever reason ATF (or local authorities if notified) decide this is the one they need to collect ASAP. Potentially now someone comes to collect your new .22 and scoffs up everything you've got, throws them in a pile in the trunk of a cruiser then into a wet basement :), possibly starts scrutinizing it all, measuring barrels and AOL etc etc

Sure in the realm of likelihood its low, and even then, 1st you would normally be called by the FFL to turn it in, or even by the ATF to do the same, but they do sometimes take it upon themselves to just go and collect.

Anyway, long story short just saying if something has gone wrong in NICS, there can be a benefit to not getting the gun.

In the case of the current FFL, usually they don't charge for the gun until the check clears. Any FFL who makes you pay for the gun first then doesn't offer a refund upon delay is an a**h***. Usually even if you didn't pay for the gun they ask if you want to cancel the whole transaction upon a delay, since some people just don't want to wait.

Is it Shooter's Outpost? I know they won't release until it's proceed. I had a friend get a delay and he had to wait a week until it became a proceed, he was told the store does not release after three days even though they know they can.

Back
Top Bottom