• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NICS fee

I don't think this has been covered before and a search turned up nothing.

Are dealers allowed to charge a fee for doing a NICS check? Or is it hidden somewhere in the selling price?

Allowed? Sure, why not? It's not the typical process, but I don't believe there's anything in the law that forbids them from charging for a NICS check.

There is no such thing. If a dealer is charging you a "NICS fee" for buying a gun from them, run, don't walk away.

Some states have a per transaction fee for the state level "BG check", but MA
isn't one of them, and that's a different ballgame anyways.

-Mike

I have read that some dealers in other states were charging that. IMHO it should be covered in the purchase price, it's a cost of doing business.

I don't think this has been covered before and a search turned up nothing.

Are dealers allowed to charge a fee for doing a NICS check? Or is it hidden somewhere in the selling price?

If you are buying a gun they have, it should be 'built' into the price.

If you are buying a gun 'online' and having it shipped to them or doing a transfer between two parties , then they will probably charge a transfer fee (15-35 is usual)

Did anyone note that MikeD is posting from SW FL?

MA does not charge for a NICS check. The fee is SOP in some states, although I have no idea which ones and I've never bought anything in FL so no experience there.

So, yes it is legit in some states.

Did anyone note that MikeD is posting from SW FL?

Good point, Len. I looked it up, and Florida does act as a NICS POC state (the NICS check goes through a state agency, unlike here in MA where the FBI does the check directly) and the state charges a $5 fee. So, yeah, you're going to be hit with at least a $5 NICS fee in Florida. Of course, there's nothing stopping a dealer from also adding on an additional fee of their own if they so desire. But at least the federal government is barred from charging a fee themselves.

Right you are, I was just recently told that the NICS check is done through the FDLE and dealers can charge a fee if they desire.

Learning something new everyday here.[rolleyes]

as a ffl holder, its a crock of crap.
NICS is free to ffl holder. I can't see how they get away with it

Again, OP is NOT in Mass.

From reading many non-regional forums, I have learned that some states DO apparently charge dealers for each "NICS" check (POC may be their state police or other). Also some state laws may specifically allow the dealer to charge for such checks. I think CA is one of those states for example.

It's not always correct to use our personal experiences to "paint" the USA with that same brush.

I have purchased long arms in NH and there is no fee for checks. Can't speak for any other state, as I have no personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom