• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NICS Denial

jasonj84

NES Member
Long story short, my buddy who is a ME resident, and has an extensive collection, and ffl putchases within the past year, just got denied on a NICS check through his local ffl on a pistol purchased from the Sig pro shop and shipped. The ffl told him there is a new system or software in place for the NICS. He has done nothing different other than applied for a FL license. Anyone have any insight? I know he has no RO or any DQ. Any help appreciated.

He can (and should) appeal the denial, but Obama pulled all the FBI staff off of processing appeals - so it's anybody's guess when that will get processed. He should probably talk to an attorney well versed in firearms law.

He is appealing as we speak. No reason for the denial. Was hoping to find some insight on why. Maybe something changed.

He is appealing as we speak. No reason for the denial. Was hoping to find some insight on why. Maybe something changed.

Probably a conflict with someone with a similar name who is a prohibited person. NICS is not even close to being foolproof.

Never had a problem before. He is good for a gun a month at least.

It's a big country - could be someone with a similar name who just recently was convicted of a crime that makes them a prohibited person, or someone with a similar name who did the same in the past but the records just got digitized and reported to NICS.

Or it could be Obama screwing with us some more.

Or it could be that a record just got computerized and your buddy forgot about the time he did an upper deck on a patrol car?

It's a big country - could be someone with a similar name who just recently was convicted of a crime that makes them a prohibited person, or someone with a similar name who did the same in the past but the records just got digitized and reported to NICS.

Imteesting. My concern is if NICS has changed software as his ffl suggested, we may all have problems. A delay, okay, but someone that has an 03ffl and a 6 figure collection, legally bought, and getting a denial on a pistol shipped from Sig, we may have a problem.

Imteesting. My concern is if NICS has changed software as his ffl suggested, we may all have problems. A delay, okay, but someone that has an 03ffl and a 6 figure collection, legally bought, and getting a denial on a pistol shipped from Sig, we may have a problem.

NICS changed the application that submits the 4473 to them via the web, I'm not sure if they use the same interface internally.

In general, it's been observed:
- The system is slower to process checks. It's unclear if that's due to load, crappy software, or a combination of that.
- after 5pm eastern time, anyone that needs further review typically ends up with a Delay after about 20 minutes.
- The new user interface sucks :D

It happened to me about 1 year ago, my FFL called some phone number, spoke with someone at ATFE and within minutes it was approved. It was strange that it was a denial, and not a hold, and it had me concerned at the time, but have not had a problem since. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly for your friend

This is likely the problem. Hope things get better for your buddy. I know when I got my denial, it took almost a year to process the appeal, and that was in '13. If he has a 6 figure collection, in parallel with the appeal, he should apply for a UPIN

This is likely the problem. Hope things get better for your buddy. I know when I got my denial, it took almost a year to process the appeal, and that was in '13. If he has a 6 figure collection, in parallel with the appeal, he should apply for a UPIN

Wow! A year?

- - - Updated - - -

Did he submit is SS# or did he opt to leave it off?

Not sure. Will ask.

I had a former employee just totally eviscerate a NICS E-Check once by entering incorrect information and even ****ing up the guys DOB and SSN, and this was a regular who bought guns all the time. That check came back as denied, to my surprise, so I called NICS and corrected the mistakes and he got the Proceed while the employee got the boot.

What FL license? Non-residence? Or does he own property there? If he applied for a FL resident license, then went to go purchase a firearm in ME, I could see where they might have a question about his actual place of residence.

What FL license? Non-residence? Or does he own property there? If he applied for a FL resident license, then went to go purchase a firearm in ME, I could see where they might have a question about his actual place of residence.
Shouldn't matter....
Question 13. State of Residence: The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty, his or her State of residence also is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located.
If you are a U.S. citizen with two States of residence, you should list your current residence address in response to question 2 (e.g., if you are buying a firearm while staying at your weekend home in State X, you should list your address in State X in response to question 2.)

Non res. Sig shipped to ME, as he isa resident there.

Probably another unwritten new rule handed down. "Dude has enough already" type crap.
It as others have said. Similar name. Several articles have started something like 90% of all denials are false. Must if those due to name similarity.
I new a guy demurred due to 30 year old charges in Texas. But he had never been to Texas. He has a fairly common name.
Good Help Joseph Smith.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Florida doesn't have a "Non-Resident" License.
Florida doesn't make a distinction, but they do ask on the form what your state of residence is, issue the same license for the same cost, resident of Florida or otherwise. If only the MA process was so equitable!
It as others have said. Similar name. Several articles have started something like 90% of all denials are false. Must if those due to name similarity. I new a guy demurred due to 30 year old charges in Texas. But he had never been to Texas. He has a fairly common name.
Exactly. Could even be an old criminal record for somebody with the same name, only now making it into the system.

UPIN is free, but with the FBI work assignment change, he could be waiting a while. Easiest option in the meantime is to attempt a transaction, but this time include his social security number.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom