NICS Delay

We just had a retired LEO from the State Police get denied. Apparently he had been the victim of identity fraud from a disgruntled "client". NICS is and always will be just a system that does nothing to stop criminals but further hinders law abiding citizens.

Additionally, some crappier gun shops tend to treat "delay" customers like second class citizens. Some of them have policies in place where they will not transfer a gun after the 3 days (even though they legally can!) instead only doing so when NICS calls them back. [thinking]

It's probably to avoid all the hassle of a failure. If the FFL releases it to you and then it's later decided that you failed NICS, ATF is going to pull the 4473 & do a "pickup" of the gun from the customer. They can destroy the gun, although some agents allow the shop to work out what's basically just a used trade-in deal with the customer. If the shop is afraid of ATF or has had bad dealings with them in the past, the prospect of another visit might create an ulcer, since ATF may ask all kinds of questions about the sale and everything else. It might just be simpler on their end to treat a delay like a failure.

Apparently he had been the victim of identity fraud from a disgruntled "client".

I've read about a lot of incidents where people fail NICS, then find out their identity had been stolen.

I have a UPIN too, it was giving to me when i got my LTC. I brought it with me and the dealer said they did not need it......???? Dont know if it would of made my situation go faster, i think they only need it if they cant get a clear finger print reading of of your card.....not sure though???

I have a UPIN too, it was giving to me when i got my LTC. I brought it with me and the dealer said they did not need it......???? Dont know if it would of made my situation go faster, i think they only need it if they cant get a clear finger print reading of of your card.....not sure though???

That is NOT a UPIN. The PIN that comes with your LTC is not the same. Everyone gets an LTC PIN. The LTC pin is a bypass for the state's fingerprint reader crap, but that has nothing to do with the UPIN. The only way to get a Federal UPIN is to apply for it. The only people who need a UPIN are those who get false delays and denials when trying to purchase a firearm. The UPIN only applies to the federal end of the transaction.

-Mike

We just had a retired LEO from the State Police get denied. Apparently he had been the victim of identity fraud from a disgruntled "client". NICS is and always will be just a system that does nothing to stop criminals but further hinders law abiding citizens.

How does one figure out they were a victim of identify theft anyways? I mean it isnt always because credit cards were applied for by someone using the persons information....so how else would one find out?

How does one figure out they were a victim of identify theft anyways? I mean it isnt always because credit cards were applied for by someone using the persons information....so how else would one find out?

When a warrant comes up for your arrest because some criminal memorized your info and recited it as theirs when they got arrested for a crime. When you pull a credit report and find unpaid bills in your name that couldn't have possibly involved you.

When someone like me comes to your door serving you with a lawsuit for property you never owned or bills that you never incurred. [Last year I attempted to serve a foreclosure notice on a 13 yo where the claim was that some bank gave her a $1Million loan on property in Brooklyn, NY 4 years earlier! Meanwhile the correct person lives in Los Angeles, CA!]

Back
Top Bottom