• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nick's Sport Shop in Palmer

turbo38gn

NES Member
What a nice little shop. Wandering down rt20 after meeting 7.62 for an AK purchase... I saw the Nick's sign and remember reading something here about them being a gun store and changing hands... Quick turn into the parking lot and in I went... very nice little store, had a little bit of everything. Had some nice tact. guns I hadn't seen elsewhere, along with your normal shotguns, rifle, pistols and revolvers. looked like plenty of ammo, lots of fishing, hunting, bait and "stuff". Guys were friendly, spent plenty of time talking with one of the young guys there, showed me several guns, WW, Colt, PTRs, S&W's... very nice guys... I really wanted to purchase something, but I'm a little over my head with gun purchases this week, so I noticed a Nikon scope mount I could use... prices were pretty normal for guns store, I'd purchase a few guns there if my pockets weren't so empty... I'll go back when I'm in the area.

There was just one little issue, but I think I can get over it.... they are Yankee fans...

Love that place, the previous owners were always friendly and welcoming when you came in the door. I'll have to stop by and meet the new owners. Always a great place.

Last edited:
I bought my wifes SR22 there back in February from Mario just just before they changed hands.

which buy the way, she shot for the first time today.

[smile]

I've been having a lot of luck at Nick's lately. Mario the new owner is a super nice guy and their prices for new guns are really quite good. Significantly under Guns & Gear (my usual first stop LGS) on almost every firearm. In fact, picked up a revolver and it was literally $100.00 under G&G. Thanks Mario & the team at Nicks! You are now my #1!

Last edited:
I liked the simplicity of the previous owners website, but if the canned one they have now draws more traffic, all the better, albeit its kinda clunky. Its GOOD to have a new Nicks with regular hours so us working stiffs can get there after work and on Saturdays now.

I liked the simplicity of the previous owners website, but if the canned one they have now draws more traffic, all the better, albeit its kinda clunky. Its GOOD to have a new Nicks with regular hours so us working stiffs can get there after work and on Saturdays now.

The big problem I had with the old shop is I never had an opportunity to go in it because whenever I drove past it, they were closed. I think a lot of gun shops would do themselves huge favors by not keeping "bankers hours. " Yeah that's fine for the retired set, but for everyone else it sucks. It's part of the reason I went to places like Four Seasons when I first got into guns- because I could go there on thursday nights after work and browse or buy something, or I could rip up there on a Saturday morning and do the same. Sundays, same deal.... like a handful of gun shops are open Sundays.... and most of them have a fair flow of people in them...

-Mike

The big problem I had with the old shop is I never had an opportunity to go in it because whenever I drove past it, they were closed. I think a lot of gun shops would do themselves huge favors by not keeping "bankers hours. " Yeah that's fine for the retired set, but for everyone else it sucks. It's part of the reason I went to places like Four Seasons when I first got into guns- because I could go there on thursday nights after work and browse or buy something, or I could rip up there on a Saturday morning and do the same. Sundays, same deal.... like a handful of gun shops are open Sundays.... and most of them have a fair flow of people in them...

-Mike

My favorite LGS is open till 6:00pm .......open Sunday and closed Monday which is fine with me......makdes sense that way so the working stiff can get there on the weekend and they still a day off.

Nicks now has a link on their website to show their in store inventory.

I ordered an lower receiver from the website Monday and I just picked it up today. They are open until 7:30 today so the hours and the website seem to be better now.

The new owner is friendly and prices are not bad. They have the Anderson stripped lowers for 75.99

Stopped by Saturday afternoon for the first time since the new owner took over. No more other sports besides shooting now, and a little bit of fishing stuff. Where there were other racks of sports stuff the whole store is devoted to guns. Lots of accessories, holsters, etc. They had what I thought was a "big" selection of Glocks, I think they had at least 4 different ones for sale, good for a small WMass I think. Lots of other handguns, every 380 so it seems, over 10 of them. I really don't know prices since I haven't shopped for anything in 12 monts, but I did notice ammo was quite high compared to the big boxes/other stores. They had Minimags in stock, $16 per 100. Federal Automatch, $60 per 500 count. Too rich for my blood.

Not a bad place. Nice, friendly people. Decent selection of handguns. Gun prices seem about average for Western MA (not great, not horrible). .22 LR ammo prices were through the roof last time I was in there but I don't usually buy my ammo at small guns shops. Anyway, I always stop by when I am in the area. Haven't found anything really interesting to buy from them yet, although I once missed a nice collectible handgun I wanted by mere days.

Not a bad place, average, its the closest shop so i do my transfers there. They charge $20 for 100 CCI minimags, vomit

I was there earlier this month. I didn't look around at all as I was there for a specific item. But it's a nice shop. A little bit of a ride for me but was worth the ride for me. The people were very nice and friendly. I wouldn't mind going back just to browse. It's a nice coffee run.

Went antiquing with wifey for her birthday today. She found an indoor flea market in Palmer so we went on an adventure. We passed Nick’s on our way there and stopped afterwards to poke around.

Decent selection compared to what I’ve seen. Fair amount of used and consignment, but decent amount of guns and ammo nonetheless. Very friendly service, even towards a couple of window shoppers from Boston. Bought a few boxes of 54r to show some thanks as the performance center 686-6 would have been a bit spendy and self-serving on my wife’s birthday.

Recommend if you’re in that area. An hour and a quarter is a bit much for me on the regular, but I’d stop in again if I was close.

Went antiquing with wifey for her birthday today. She found an indoor flea market in Palmer so we went on an adventure. We passed Nick’s on our way there and stopped afterwards to poke around.

Decent selection compared to what I’ve seen. Fair amount of used and consignment, but decent amount of guns and ammo nonetheless. Very friendly service, even towards a couple of window shoppers from Boston. Bought a few boxes of 54r to show some thanks as the performance center 686-6 would have been a bit spendy and self-serving on my wife’s birthday.

Recommend if you’re in that area. An hour and a quarter is a bit much for me on the regular, but I’d stop in again if I was close.
My brother lives in Springfield and have driven past this place for years when we visit, gonna have to make it a point to stop in next time.

Nicks has new owners again. Good guys. Stop in.
That's not much of a surprise, but maybe it'll be a pleasant one, the guy that bought it from Dick Hamilton was an asshat. I'll have to stop in, hopefully he steers it back towards the way it used to be, wasn't just a really good gun shop when Dick ran it, it was also the local place to go for any type of sporting goods stuff, hunting gear, reloading, basic archery needs, fly fishing, ice fishing, paintball, skate sharpening, baseball gloves, unsolicited advice from the old timers, etc. Was a cornerstone of the town.

Seems more gun centric but in a good way. I think big box stores made it tough to compete on basic sporting supplies for most small shops. R&R is the only smaller shop that I can think of that still sells other gear for fishing, hunting gear, clothes, etc

Seems more gun centric but in a good way. I think big box stores made it tough to compete on basic sporting supplies for most small shops. R&R is the only smaller shop that I can think of that still sells other gear for fishing, hunting gear, clothes, etc
The key to that is know you can't compete so provide better service and better quality and a better experience. I used to love going to Nick's for random shit, usually cost a couple dollars more, but nobody could put a price on all the knowledge I gained from all of the old dudes bitching about their wives and jobs and telling me how not to find deer and catch fish.

The key to that is know you can't compete so provide better service and better quality and a better experience. I used to love going to Nick's for random shit, usually cost a couple dollars more, but nobody could put a price on all the knowledge I gained from all of the old dudes bitching about their wives and jobs and telling me how not to find deer and catch fish.
Lol
Those are the priceless experiences. I totally agree. Grumpy service in a gun shop typically keeps my wallet shut unless of course I find a Unicorn. Lol

Back
Top Bottom