• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nickel or steel?

xero2099

NES Member
Was given some old spent ammo was thinking of keeping it to reload but don't know if it can be
a0cdc54aa152bb4ce137c37d31884150.jpg
4eea3f0e686966cb1f4cff4aa9ea2f2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pic isn't that good. If shiny likely nickel plated and those are excellent. If dull, usually steel and not reloadable.

That's got to be a nickel plated case. I can't imagine Federal made steel cased ammo. Though they do make aluminum cased ammo so maybe I'm wrong?
I had some nickel plated brass with the red sealant around the primer just like in your photo. I sold off all the nickel plated cases because I didn't like the extra force needed to resize the cases compared to standard brass. YMMV.

Should be conventional, run-of-the-mill nickle-plated. Reload just like your brass cases.
Steel is easily detected with a magnet, but I doubt you'll come across many steel .38 Special cases.
There is the Blazer aluminum, of course, which is not meant to be reloaded. The primer is of the berdan variety (at least it has a bar at the base of the case to prevent normal decapping) which purposely keeps you from trying to reload it.
Rarely, you may find some foreign brass cases which are also berdan-primed.

Last edited:
That's got to be a nickel plated case. I can't imagine Federal made steel cased ammo. Though they do make aluminum cased ammo so maybe I'm wrong?
I had some nickel plated brass with the red sealant around the primer just like in your photo. I sold off all the nickel plated cases because I didn't like the extra force needed to resize the cases compared to standard brass. YMMV.

thanks for info[smile]

Pic isn't that good. If shiny likely nickel plated and those are excellent. If dull, usually steel and not reloadable.

There is nothing that makes steel unreloadable. I reload steel all the time for 223 and 9mm. In mixed batches. It processes exactly the same as brass with no changes.

I reload lots of .38 spl.. Plated cases only last for 4 to 6 reloadings, no matter what power level. The case mouth cracks eventually.

Plain brass on the other hand hardly ever does that. The primer pocket wears out on them first most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom