Nickel boron vs black nitride BCG

Evadd

NES Member
Both can be had for the same price right now. From what I've read, people have varying opinions, with people swearing by each. Anyone have experience or opinions of one vs the other?

Running a nickel boron. Honestly, only reason I own it is cause during the "scare" and parts were scarce, it was all I could get. What I noticed with it is that it cleans easy and I don't have to drench it in lube. Worth the extra cost? Jury is still out.

I like the nickel boron that I have used for the past year.Easy to keep clean and shows very little wear.Just purchased a black nitride for a new build.Instructed to use extra lube with the first 600 rounds break in,then ok to run dry.Time will be the judge!

i've looked into NiB coated BCGs on one occasion and quick search i did convinced me that it's not as good - poor mans substitute for all chrome BCG.
i think i've read some people complaint about stuff getting stuck-on much harder on NiB even than on regular parkerized BCG. so it sort of discouraged me from buying into this new NiB hype.
i'm now wondering if i was wrong or my research was too shallow (not in-depth) and i got wrong info.

Both can be had for the same price right now. From what I've read, people have varying opinions, with people swearing by each. Anyone have experience or opinions of one vs the other?

I just purchased one of the AIM NiB v2 BCG's used for less than a $100. It showed up this weekend and still looks brand new (Was low round count anyway). Not sure how it will run, and this is my first build, but it sure looks pretty. I was going to go with one of the PSA ones, but for the same price I figured I'd go for the one with the lifetime warranty and see what I can do.

If you're going to put 30,000 rounds through it you can probably see a wear difference. If you're going to put a few rounds through it here or there you'll never be able to discern a difference.

Most people never put anywhere near the number of rounds required to assess any part of an AR, let alone a coating choice on a BCG.

If you're going to put 30,000 rounds through it you can probably see a wear difference. If you're going to put a few rounds through it here or there you'll never be able to discern a difference.

Most people never put anywhere near the number of rounds required to assess any part of an AR, let alone a coating choice on a BCG.

For sure. The only real difference I've heard of is how easy it is to clean, that's about it. And "Ooooh shiney!"

I honestly don't get the "easier to clean" mantra. I've cleaned both and seen no difference. Soak a rag and wipe the thing off.

I honestly don't get the "easier to clean" mantra. I've cleaned both and seen no difference. Soak a rag and wipe the thing off.

I don't get that either, but what does appeal to me is the claim that they can be run dry and still run well, where that would be an issue for a normal bcg. I don't own any coated ones, but it seems like a good choice for a shtf rifle if the claims are true.

Agree completely. I just douche with brake cleaner, relube, and don't give another thought about it.

I don't get that either, but what does appeal to me is the claim that they can be run dry and still run well, where that would be an issue for a normal bcg. I don't own any coated ones, but it seems like a good choice for a shtf rifle if the claims are true.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way in hell, especially in winter, I would ever run an AR dry. The bolt will literally freeze solid due to just minimal moisture in the air.

Every bolt dripping wet, every time.

I just light coated the mag well on my M&P sidearm because I was experiencing mags freezing in place while training last week.

Have always run my AR's dry with nickel boron in the dead of winter with crappy pre-ban mags with no hicups ever, then again, they are frog lubed and LWRC, the BCG is super slick.

Uh oh, did i mention Frog Lube, oops?

What about titanium coated bcg .

9e577d5d2c038eef2aa7cc50ec0a6bf4.jpg

The coating used on end mills is roughly 3/4 the hardness of diamonds .

What about titanium coated bcg .

9e577d5d2c038eef2aa7cc50ec0a6bf4.jpg

The coating used on end mills is roughly 3/4 the hardness of diamonds .

Not a bad idea to prevent wear, but I doubt it would have even close to the lubricity of NiB coating. Definitely have to run that wet like nitride.

Back
Top Bottom