• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nice to see this !

The law of unexpected consequences strikes again. Trapping for pelts and/or food = good. Trapping to just kill the beavers because cheaper than installing flood control devices = bad.

You, the residents of Framingham, can't eradicate the beavers because of public safety concerns or destruction public / private property due to flooding because we the PETA lovers had trapping and killing of animals outlawed in this state. And more importantly, it's not my family that has wrapped it's car around a tree on the black ice encrusted streets caused from flooding. Also, my yard hasn't been damaged from the beavers nor has my basement been flooded. So we can't let you do the right thing just yet, until it effects me personally, and you'll just have to come up with a more costly alternative to protect the perty beavers that is only going to be a band-aid solution. Just like the deer tick / Lyme disease problem we are having now with an overpopulation of white tail deer. But we'll gladly send you autographed pictures of a scantily clad Pamela "Hoover" Anderson to make up for all the destruction that we expect you to endure.

From the article
"Declaring a war against beavers for simply doing what beavers do is cruel and foolish."
Hows bout: Declaring a war against deplorable, overburdened with white male privilege, conservative gun owners, for simply doing what deplorable, overburdened with white male privilege, conservative gun owners, do is cruel and foolish.

+1. Hope all the Beaver keep moving east. Most of these yuppie towns voted for it, and can now deal with it.

Around here we can do SSS.

They can suck it. They get what they deserve east of 495.

I never threw out my traps, although I use them in Maine I’ll gladly snag a beaver in a hippy town under water for 5k a piece

The law of unexpected consequences strikes again. Trapping for pelts and/or food = good. Trapping to just kill the beavers because cheaper than installing flood control devices = bad.

These are not unexpected consequences, the voting public was warned that this was exactly what would happen if this law was passed and they chose to believe the rhetoric of the animal rights industry instead. Now the animal rights industry wants the public to pay for their political and social agenda and why not? It's not MSPCA money ( they're tax exempt) it's the taxpayers money.

Flow pipes have their place, but they are far from a cure-all for dealing with an unmanaged beaver population. They are costly to install and have a high failure rate UNLESS THEY ARE USED AS PART OF A MANAGEMENT PROGRAM THAT INCLUDES TRAPPING. I've seen countless examples of flow devices that were defeated by beavers, people thought that their flooding and property damage problems were over but unless the owners were faithfully maintaining these on a daily basis they were eventually defeated and destroyed by beavers. Not only that, but many sites are not suitable for a flow device installation no matter how much the animal rights kooks wished they were.

Massachusetts has legislated it's furbearing animals into valueless vermin, to be killed at any time of year when they are killing our livestock, pets or threatening our children. They are no longer managed as a valuable resource but instead have been reduced to worthless pests to be killed whenever and wherever they are causing damage or threatening our well being.

I'm also sure that most everybody in Massachusetts is unaware that Frank Conibear, the inventor of the trap that bears his name, received an award by the ASPCA years ago for his humane trap design.

The voters chose this, now they can suffer its costs and consequences.

Last edited:
yeah, when was it.....back in the 90's when they voted to ban this trapping. I think Chelmsford was one of the first towns I hear this happening but it was to a home owner and his yard flooded and he was getting water in his basement. They said he was SOL.

Don't recall having such problems before they banned the trapping....but now it affecting the infrastructure so now the .gov is all upset.

Back
Top Bottom