• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nice easy question

smokey-seven

NES Member
My set of 8 steak knives of 40 years has deteriorated to 2 and I need a replacement.

I hate serrated steak knives, so they are out. I really do not care if the new ones are wood handled or other material, I just want some good sharpening steel and good quality. I won't say price is no object, but I don't mind spending a hundred or so.

Feel free to offer opinions.

Serrations serve a purpose. That’s why they’re used to cut things like rope, muscle tissue and sinew. Proper tool for each task.

Why do you not like them?

$100 for how many???
I was looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFC604Q

Until I made one for myself. ;)
steakknifefinalimage.jpg
Since I'm single, I only need the one. The set of steak knives I was given (by my sister IIRC) are horrible (Henckel) in that they have small 'serrations' that don't do jack shit. I made the one pictured from a section of coil spring (courtesy of another NES member) and it's sharp as all hell (even just off the belt sander). I used some black walnut that I have already for the handle...

I have a set of Henckels four-star that I have been using for almost 20 years. Absolutely love them.

A considerably cheaper set I have is made by Calphalon. Not as good as the Henckels but so far have served me well in my summer home.

Dave

i've never seen a true dedicated steak knife that wasn't serrated. it comes with the territory.
Serrations serve a purpose. That’s why they’re used to cut things like rope, muscle tissue and sinew.

i'd look for a knife of the kitchen paring style which come in many blade shapes, lengths, and no serrations. anything under 25 bucks, probably more like 50 each, will be nothing fancy in the way of steel, just stainless. expect to pay more for a better quality, professional grade, hold an edge longer steel.

i don't study kitchen knives so i can't recommend any in particular.

Morakniv makes great knives that I wouldn't hesitate to draw across a Porterhouse.
I know they make steak knives. I'll check back with some ideas...
~Matt

Wow. The steak knives are $180 a pair, so how about this:
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Allround-748MG-Sandvik-Stainless/dp/B00LCSIQP0/ref=sr_1_20?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1524103337&sr=1-20&keywords=Mora+Knives&refinements=p_89:Morakniv|Mora+of+Sweden+Knives|Frosts+by+Mora+of+Sweden|Mora|Mora+-+Made+in+Sweden
$22 each + shipping, free after 2 or Prime Member.
Buy one to try one. If you like it, buy a few over a couple of weeks to spread out cost.
If you don't like it for a steak knife... throw it in your tacklebox.
Each one comes with a sheath that will protect while in a drawer.

iu

iu

Last edited:
So $100... per knife?

I picked up a set of Shun one-piece steak knives on clearance, so that's a second recommendation for Japanese damascus
i've never seen a true dedicated steak knife that wasn't serrated. it comes with the territory.
The Shun are effective without being serrated, unless you consider the curved edge as one long serration:
MHS0400__58045.1506458589.jpg

Last edited:
I highly recommend these Victorinox steak knives.
They're practically indestructible and stay sharp seemingly forever.
My family had a set in daily use for nearly 30 years, that's no exaggeration.
I've had my own set since 2005 and they're still deadly sharp.
I've also given sets of these to all my aunts, and a few others as gifts to friends, everyone still raves about how well they perform. We would joke about how they'd make a tough steak seem like prime beef.
They're not very expensive either, you can get a set of six for $35 on fleaBay:

victorinox-steak-knives-set.jpg

I use my getber pocket knife. Have for 17 years . Wife hates when I flip it open when we go out to eat

Steak eating is all about proper PLATE selection.

Glass plate== serrated only
Wood plate == plain edge desired. Serrated optional.

I have a set of Hamilton's which are pretty easy to reaharpen. The chefs 6" is in wonderful condition. After 13 years, I've only had to touch up a few points on the steak knives, but one has a mini crack starting in the handle. All were full Tang .

If I had to replace them, I would get those victoriaknox knives. We always carried one or two in our at sea tool boxes .Best wire strippers on the face of the planet .or finger strippers. Or leg flesh strippers (seen it .Felt it. Cleaned up the mess)

Wicked sharp and hold up to serious major abuse.

I have a set of Henckels four-star that I have been using for almost 20 years. Absolutely love them.

A considerably cheaper set I have is made by Calphalon. Not as good as the Henckels but so far have served me well in my summer home.

Dave

I have the same knives...about 20+ years. I damaged one, damage was my own doing... I e-mailed the Restaurant supply house I bought them from and they sent me a complete set 8 days later...I guess the moral to the story is by good knives from a good dealer.

Summer cook out party knives are the Walmart special...I buy a new set every summer.

Steak eating is all about proper PLATE selection.

Glass plate== serrated only
Wood plate == plain edge desired. Serrated optional.

I have a set of Hamilton's which are pretty easy to reaharpen. The chefs 6" is in wonderful condition. After 13 years, I've only had to touch up a few points on the steak knives, but one has a mini crack starting in the handle. All were full Tang .

If I had to replace them, I would get those victoriaknox knives. We always carried one or two in our at sea tool boxes .Best wire strippers on the face of the planet .or finger strippers. Or leg flesh strippers (seen it .Felt it. Cleaned up the mess)

Wicked sharp and hold up to serious major abuse.

Listen to this guy.

Serrated knives all the way - like the kind that Zappa showed. I've had the straight edge type from some high end manufacturer (can't remember who) but they were a PITA to keep sharp to everyone's liking. A good quality serrated knife will never need sharpening and will work flawlessly if used for cutting meats and not boxes. JMHO - for what that's worth...

Back
Top Bottom