• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Niantic, CT - oops.

allen-1

NES Member
Friend of mine told me about this just now. I'm shooting at Niantic Sportsman Club tonight. Wonder if we'll have new protocols.

From the Day:
East Lyme — A man shot himself in the foot at the Niantic Sportsmen’s Club on Wednesday night, according to police.

The man sustained a minor injury and was transported to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital in New London, police Chief Michael Finkelstein said. The ambulance was called at 7:23 p.m.

“During a sanctioned event one of the club members was holstering a handgun and as he holstered it, it discharged, striking him in the foot,” Finkelstein said.

The incident was witnessed, and police are not investigating it as a criminal matter.

EDIT: Just looked at club calendar. Wednesday was USPSA practice outdoor range. Plate match for tonight appears to still be scheduled.

Last edited:
"one of the club members was holstering a handgun and as he holstered it, it discharged"

sorry......actually this should read

"one of the club members was holstering a handgun with his finger still on the f***ing trigger and as he holstered it, it discharged"

"one of the club members was holstering a handgun and as he holstered it, it discharged"

sorry......actually this should read

"one of the club members was holstering a handgun with his finger still on the f***ing trigger and as he holstered it, it discharged"

Could have caught shirttail or similar in holster, and then pushed gun down against it. I've seen that almost happen a couple of times. I may learn more tonight - I'm shooting at that club.

I found out a little more tonight, very little.

Per a member at that club, it was a .45 cal 1911, and the shooter was amazingly lucky. He did no permanent damage to his foot, didn't hit any bones. Was taken to the hospital and released. Per that same member, the incident occurred about 2 minutes after the safety briefing. That's all they knew.

Per a member at that club, it was a .45 cal 1911, and the shooter was amazingly lucky. He did no permanent damage to his foot, didn't hit any bones. Was taken to the hospital and released. Per that same member, the incident occurred about 2 minutes after the safety briefing. That's all they knew.
Guess the briefing should have been 3 minutes longer.

Too soon?

I was trying to remain nonjudgmental, but anyone who carries a 1911 should have practiced enough so that putting the safety on before holstering is second nature. You kind of have to be an idiot to holster your 1911 unlocked given the fact that you know it has a light trigger. I don’t carry a 1911, but when I shoot one I only have the safety off when my finger is on the trigger. Gun comes out of the holster with safety on, when gun is on target I sweep the safety off and put my finger on the trigger. When I’m done shooting my finger comes off the trigger and I sweep the safety back on. Even when I’m at the low ready, the gun is still locked, only when I’m putting my finger on the trigger do I sweep the safety off. When I re-holster I’ll always double check the safety and holster with my thumb on the hammer.

There’s definitely a lot of ways to f*** up and shoot yourself…

As long as you don’t accidentally shoot somebody else….. whatever

How do you send a .45 slug into your foot, and not hit a bone?

Per a member at that club, it was a .45 cal 1911, and the shooter was amazingly lucky. He did no permanent damage to his foot, didn't hit any bones. ...
Is there a ".45 ACP Special"?
Because that's special.

Guess the briefing should have been 3 minutes longer.
Holding out for a Briefing Pop?

I was trying to remain nonjudgmental, but anyone who carries a 1911 should have practiced enough so that putting the safety on before holstering is second nature.
Odds are good it was a fundamental violation of range rules
for the sights to come off the target with the safety disabled.

Back
Top Bottom