• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH woman caught up by TSA in FL with handgun. (video)

There is no database. None. The only "database" legally allowed in NH is the paper copy in the desk of the chief or designated issuing officer.

I see what you did there.

There has to be a database/listing of state issued permits, otherwise they couldn't issue duplicates or renewals.
I have a NH non-resident permit, and I've gone through the renewal process. They mailed me the paperwork for the renewal.

As for duplicates, from Permits and Licensing FAQs, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS
  • How can I receive a duplicate NH Non-Resident Pistol License?
    Please forward a letter to NH State Police, Permits and Licensing Unit, 33 Hazen Drive, Concord NH 03305 explaining the reason for your request and include a fee of $3.00 made out to State of New Hampshire - Treasurer.
  • How do I submit an address change on a NH Non-Resident Pistol License?
    Please forward a letter to NH State Police, Permits and Licensing Unit, 33 Hazen Drive, Concord NH 03305 notifying us of the change of address, including the old and new address. If you would like to receive a license that reflects the new address, enclose a fee of $3.00 made out to State of New Hampshire - Treasurer.

A NH resident in FL, stopped by TSA. How did she have that gun in FL? While she could have brought it down with her, or sent it down separately, by many legal means, just wondering if she brought it down in that same gold purse, and they missed it in TSA?

There has to be a database/listing of state issued permits, otherwise they couldn't issue duplicates or renewals.
I have a NH non-resident permit, and I've gone through the renewal process. They mailed me the paperwork for the renewal.

As for duplicates, from Permits and Licensing FAQs, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS
    Please forward a letter to NH State Police, Permits and Licensing Unit, 33 Hazen Drive, Concord NH 03305 explaining the reason for your request and include a fee of $3.00 made out to State of New Hampshire - Treasurer.
    Please forward a letter to NH State Police, Permits and Licensing Unit, 33 Hazen Drive, Concord NH 03305 notifying us of the change of address, including the old and new address. If you would like to receive a license that reflects the new address, enclose a fee of $3.00 made out to State of New Hampshire - Treasurer.
NR P/R Licenses are all issued by NH SP and they do maintain those records. Resident P/R Licenses are issued by each town and I don't know if NH SP is even notified. I'll try to remember to ask my Chief when I see him, but with COVID, I don't get to see him very often.

NR P/R Licenses are all issued by NH SP and they do maintain those records. Resident P/R Licenses are issued by each town and I don't know if NH SP is even notified. I'll try to remember to ask my Chief when I see him, but with COVID, I don't get to see him very often.
When I was speaking to a local leo he told me not all towns report license holders to the state, explained that is why it was important to keep the paper copy, This was pre CC and a different COP in my town so things could have changed in the last 5 or so years

gold handbag. There was a magazine containing (5) rounds inside the handgun's magazine well, and there was a round chambered. The handgun appeared fully functional capable of expelling projectile through the use of an explosion.
Deflagration, but can't expect TSA to be using big words.

Might not be a lie, if she is an NH res that permit is probably a goddam piece of tissue paper and probably NOT in any kind of a centralized database.
NH permits, at least the non-res ones, are the standard sized plastic card.

FL accepts NH permits (for residents of NH only), which is why the NH permit thing was an issue. If she was able to produce one she would have avoided arrest on the state charge.

If she is not being arrested, then why is he searching her bag? She is not handcuffed. I would tell him you do not have the right to search me and I will not be speaking to you without my attorney. She is going to be charged anyway so what is the point of cooperating.

When I was speaking to a local leo he told me not all towns report license holders to the state, explained that is why it was important to keep the paper copy, This was pre CC and a different COP in my town so things could have changed in the last 5 or so years
Wait, so an LEO told you? No chance that's bad info. God love our LEO's, but they're the worst source of info when it comes to stuff like, you know, the law. Where would they report it "to the state?" There is no centralized database of resident permits in the state, so who would get it?

If she is not being arrested, then why is he searching her bag? She is not handcuffed. I would tell him you do not have the right to search me and I will not be speaking to you without my attorney. She is going to be charged anyway so what is the point of cooperating.
Have you ever been to an airport? If TSA sees something they don't like on the x-ray, they open your bags. They're no asking involved.

Wait, so an LEO told you? No chance that's bad info. God love our LEO's, but they're the worst source of info when it comes to stuff like, you know, the law. Where would they report it "to the state?" There is no centralized database of resident permits in the state, so who would get it?
No idea, I was asking if permit info came up when they pull a someone up during a traffic stop, he said some towns do some towns don't. I am not law enforcement so I have to take home at his word. seems reasonable to me that the state has the capability to store that and it seems more likely than not to me.

No idea, I was asking if permit info came up when they pull a someone up during a traffic stop, he said some towns do some towns don't. I am not law enforcement so I have to take home at his word. seems reasonable to me that the state has the capability to store that and it seems more likely than not to me.
At the last two US Law Shield seminars on NH Gun Laws, featuring the best gun law attorney in the state, they specifically mentioned P&RL's are held only at the local facility, and there is no centralized database for resident P&RL's. The comment came in response to the question regarding carrying your license with you.

Have you ever been to an airport? If TSA sees something they don't like on the x-ray, they open your bags. They're no asking involved.
While not binding at the federal level, there was an interesting case in MA.

An individual attempted to withdraw consent to search after the Xray at a MA facility (I think a courthouse) detected something suspicious in his bag. He stated that he did not consent to a search, and wished to take his bag and leave rather than enter the premises. The folks at the security checkpoint (not sure if they were sworn officers or near minimum wage guards) refused to hand him is bag, searched it, found a prohibited item (I think it was a gun without an LTC, not sure), and he was arrested.

His defense was that the search was unlawful as he had withdrawn consent and was willing to leave rather than subject his effects to search beyond the x-ray screening. The court held that he had given implicit consent when he allowed his bag to be x-rayed, he could not withdraw consent, and the search was valid. The court when on with the "expediency" argument that allowing withdrawal of consent would render screenings meaningless as people could try to sneak stuff through until they succeeded.

Don't be facetious. I'm talking about the police officer in the room after the security screen. You prolly didn't watch the whole video . . .

I have gotten my bags searched many times without being arrested, because I wanted on the plane.

Upon entering an airport, when are you subjected to federal laws rather than the state you are in, is it once you pass the first TSA checkpoint ?

She was going to get searched regardless, even with a lawyer present IMO.

Don't be facetious. I'm talking about the police officer in the room after the security screen. You prolly didn't watch the whole video . . .
I wasn't, and I did watch the whole painful thing. As you can see from Rob's comment above, once you throw the bag on the conveyor, consent to search is out the window.

Interesting that you use "facetious" correctly, but can't figure out the word "probably."

I love the cop, don't worry we will work it out ( your going to get f***ed).
Is her Glock up for sale on the NES classifieds ?

Last edited:
That's why people should clearly delineate range gear from everything else. Hell, I was in Dubai once and they swabbed my carry on for explosive residue.
Manchester airport has a TSA agent with a dog to sniff out whatever they are looking for. When I went through a couple of years ago I asked the handler if GSR would alert the dog if you just happened to come from the range. He smiled and said he isn't allowed to divulge that info.
A NH resident in FL, stopped by TSA. How did she have that gun in FL? While she could have brought it down with her, or sent it down separately, by many legal means, just wondering if she brought it down in that same gold purse, and they missed it in TSA?
On that same trip when returning I got pulled by TSA for having a credit card knife in my wallet. I thought I had lost it and no one at Manchester caught it. So either their machines aren't that great or they aren't really paying attention. For women who purse carry it could be easy to forget you have it.

While not binding at the federal level, there was an interesting case in MA.

An individual attempted to withdraw consent to search after the Xray at a MA facility (I think a courthouse) detected something suspicious in his bag. He stated that he did not consent to a search, and wished to take his bag and leave rather than enter the premises. The folks at the security checkpoint (not sure if they were sworn officers or near minimum wage guards) refused to hand him is bag, searched it, found a prohibited item (I think it was a gun without an LTC, not sure), and he was arrested.

His defense was that the search was unlawful as he had withdrawn consent and was willing to leave rather than subject his effects to search beyond the x-ray screening. The court held that he had given implicit consent when he allowed his bag to be x-rayed, he could not withdraw consent, and the search was valid. The court when on with the "expediency" argument that allowing withdrawal of consent would render screenings meaningless as people could try to sneak stuff through until they succeeded.
The folks running security at the door of Mass courtrooms are NOT "court officers" and have no LE authority at all. That info was from a real court officer. The two types of "officials" wear different color shirts which designates what their function is (blue or white shirts).

It appears that she's been in trouble before in Aberdeen, MD for stealing a car with her BF.

I'm going to ask my wife if she could be placed in my custody for nurturing and safekeeping!

Thank you. Sounds like non-resident and resident permits may be handled quite differently, local .vs. state.

Don't confuse the non-resident NH license, which is issued by NH State Police, with the resident license.

The resident license is issued by local police, or even by the town clerk, a selectman, or possibly the sheriff, in towns without police, and is a flimsy bit of duplicate paper. There is no database, at all, and maintaining one is illegal.

There are no “state issued” permits for residents.

why does anybody even fly anymore?
Last time I went to Florida, I took a boat. When I found out the ridiculous policies kept me from even putting my inflatable cartridges for my PFD in my checked baggage, I said f*** this shit. Although the regs are obtuse at best, the airline told me I had to UPS them to my destination. I’d rather be on the water anyway.

You're gonna be a real barrel of laughs if you are ever subjected to a Terry Stop.

The court when on with the "expediency" argument that allowing withdrawal of consent would render screenings meaningless as people could try to sneak stuff through until they succeeded.
As if that's hard. [rolleyes]

Manchester airport has a TSA agent with a dog to sniff out whatever they are looking for. When I went through a couple of years ago I asked the handler if GSR would alert the dog if you just happened to come from the range. He smiled and said he isn't allowed to divulge that info.
Next time double down and ask how often the dog reports
when a cop carrying a gun walks by.

Back
Top Bottom